Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Whats the best breakdown service??

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2002, 09:17 PM
BL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning on subscribing to some sort of breakdown service.

Any recommendations & experiences?? Tesco's own breakdown is looking good at the moment.
Old 11 March 2002, 11:36 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Angry

Don't bother with the RAC. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

They left my partner at the roadside last week (09.00PM), with her 9 year old daughter. Busy dual carriage way. refused to come out to her because she didn't have her card with her and couldn't remember MY postcode.

No attendance despite numerous calls and 30 minutes on hold (on a mobile phone)!

I'll keep an eye on this thread as I'm jumping ship after that fiasco!. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 11 March 2002, 11:47 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Hi m8
I use International (National) breakdown. They did a deal a while ago that was the whole package - at home, relay etc for £35.00.
Used them once and they were there in about 10 mins and took me & the car where I wanted to go.
Can't ask for more than that.
Alasdair
Old 11 March 2002, 11:54 AM
divecon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've been with the AA for years and to be honest for the cost and the service you get I wouldn't change. The only time I had to call them out for my 'Sport' was last year when some dodgy servicing caused one of the plugs to be expelled from the block. They were with the car within fifteen minutes, fixed it roadside and I was on my way (to the dealer who got a right roasting and eventually had to replace the left side block).

One word of caution though, be very careful with companies that only insure the car and not the driver, AA insure me (and my partner) so whatever cars we drive (or are passengers in) are covered by the breakdown cover, the others just insure the car so if you're with friends or partners etc you are not covered!

Prices vary greatly but I've always found the main companies very similar.

Hope this helps.

Neil
Old 11 March 2002, 12:28 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

My wife and I have been with the AA for several years, and never had to use them until fairly recently.
My wife was driving our second car (Pug 106) to the airport via some back roads, and she hit a large pothole (), which totally knackered the wheel. AA man was on the scene quickly, but couldn't help her change the wheel, because the locking wheel nut key wasn't in the car (my fault! ).
However, he did (very kindly) tow the car to a nearby house where the owners were happy for the car to be left until I could collect it, and then he drove her all the way to the airport, despite it being our own fault that the wheel couldn't be changed. She got to the airport 5 minutes before check-in closed.

The very next day, I had to call them out again when I got back to the railway station on my way home from work to find that my bike's battery was completely dead. He was there within 15 ins, and sorted me out.

So I can't complain about them.
Old 11 March 2002, 12:34 PM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Green Flag, Expensive but evertime I have called them out, they get to me in 15 mins. Never had to show them my memebership either.
Cheers.
Ian.
Old 11 March 2002, 12:48 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

As an RAC member you would get a discount on the Trackstar service if that is part of the equation.
Old 11 March 2002, 02:56 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Britania Rescue - always been totally knocked out by their service when I've needed them - excellent
Old 11 March 2002, 03:04 PM
Luke
BANNED

Green flag.. Also if you are insured with Tescos you get a good deal with them
Old 11 March 2002, 06:22 PM
EBRWRX
Scooby Regular

Are we saying here that Scoobies own recovery service is pants? coz I've only just got my car with 2-1/2 years left to run on cover.

Also an AA member (with Homestart) for 10 years and very impressed on the very few occasions I've had to use them.
Old 11 March 2002, 06:44 PM
CELL
Scooby Regular

Had experience of AA and RAC.

I think they are about the same in terms of service and call out times. Sometimes they are quick (ok, occasionally)and others take bl00dy ages to get to you. Suppose it depends on how many calls they are dealing with at the time.
Called the AA out recently, middle of the day.... i had left my lights on and flattened the battery think they were with me after 15 mins.

Never tried Tesco, how much is it for the year?

Cheers

Chris
Old 03 November 2002, 06:12 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

AA for about three years.Used them once ,came pretty quick and fixed it straight away.
Can't complain.

One thing i forgot is that another person living at your house can have really cheap full membership as an extra.ie dad at full price(£80 ish) and son at cut price(ie £25 ish).

[Edited by paulr - 3/11/2002 6:15:40 PM]