Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anybody had eye laser surgery ?

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2002, 12:02 AM
LeighJ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Thinking of having it done. Anybody had it done and if so what where the results like.

Anybody from the North West, where did you go ?

Cheers,

Leigh
Old 08 March 2002, 02:14 AM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Leigh
I've been toying with the idea for a few years now.
The biggest reason for not having it done is the need to have it redone...
Your sight deteriorates again and it does so more quickly. The procedure can be repeated but only once. The reason for this is the resultant tunnel vision you develop as your retina is shaved outward to eliminate ragged edges.
I think i'd rather live with specs/lenses than have a permanant blind spot.
Paul
Old 08 March 2002, 08:25 AM
alistair
Scooby Senior

You don't have to [bhave[/b] it done again unless your eyes deteriorate which is pretty obvious ! They should not consider you for surgery unless you have had a stable prescriotion for 2 years - they then fix your eyesight to that prescription. That doesn't automatically mean you need to have it done again.

Not sure what this blind spot stuff is all about either !

My wife had hers done here and is pleased with the results.

Do a search on Lasik and you should find plenty of background material.
Old 08 March 2002, 09:41 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

a friend had her's done... made me cringe her describing it but she was so happy with the results.. no more glasses etc..

She went to a Private clinic recommended by her GP and was in London.. wasn't cheap but they were very good.

Cheers

JGM
Old 08 March 2002, 10:23 AM
seejay555
Scooby Regular

LeighJ,
My wife and I had it done late last year. Ultralase in Birmingham, but they have other clinics. A chap I know recently had his done at Boots in Manchester. What do you want to know?
Chris
Old 08 March 2002, 10:55 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

I looked into it a couple of years ago (paid to see a consultant surgeon as I'm suspicious of the advice and promises made by the laser clinics due to heir inherent conflict).

His advice was to stay well clear (I was 28 then and have had a stbale prescription for years at -5.25).

Reasons from memory were:

- this is a one off i.e. its irreversible
- they cannot guarantee perfect vision for eyes worse than about -1.5 so you may well still have to wear glasses to drive etc
- the technology is nowhere near being good enough to guarantee accuracy. A large part of this is that scarring levels differ from patient to patient so when lasering they have to guess the level of scarring and compensate for this
- it can only be done once so you will still need glasses as your eye deteriorate further with age
- a (admittedly small) percentage of people end up with worse eyes afterwards

the only viable alternative appears to be having a lens inserted to correct your vision (kind of an internal contact lens). sounds good except the incision to insert the lens will not heal properly (your eyes don't when cut) so an outside chance of losing the front of your eye when playing sport/car crash/ pub scrap etc.

bottom line is my eyes are precious and work fine with a combination of contacts/ glasses. I'm not prepared to risk my eyes with a one way bet.

Interested to hear other peoples' thoughts etc - has the technology moved on yet?

Gordo
Old 08 March 2002, 11:54 AM
LeighJ
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers for the reply’s guys. My Dad had his done on Wednesday lunch, he was able to watch the football on Wednesday night (well done Liverpool!!), and he could read the newspaper on Thursday morning. He said it's was painless, felt a like he a bit of sand in his eye's for about two hours then totally fine. He's nearly 60 so he's not to bothered what happens in 30 years time, I am. I do a lot of water sports and glasses and lenses are not good, but then again not being able to see very well is also a little frustrating. I’m seriously considering having it done at the end of the summer, so any other real experiences would be welcome, good or bad.

Hey, we live in a technological age and we know how reliable how technology is...

Cheers,

Leigh

Old 08 March 2002, 11:58 AM
seejay555
Scooby Regular

I'll e-mail you offline with mine
Old 08 March 2002, 03:59 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

I'm hopefully gonna be around for another 50 years so I'll probably wait 5 or 10 years before getting this done. Should cost the same as a Mars Bar by then as well as being much safer

Then again without lenses I can still see the TV or read so I'm none too fussed or blind (1.5+2.25) although I wouldn't drive without them or my glasses.

Joolz