Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Liverpool 3 - 0 Newcastle

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2002, 10:42 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once again I hold my hands up as a loyal toon army member and say we were beaten by the better team on the night.

Could have been oh so different if we'd had Dyer abd Bellamy in, but it just goes to show what lack of depth we have in our squad.

Liverpool were good, but they won't win the league. They're not as good as Man Utd and my favourites Arsenal (although Henry got a 3 match ban today)

-DV
Old 06 March 2002, 10:46 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Theres only one Danny Murphy
Old 06 March 2002, 10:48 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Wink

Old 06 March 2002, 10:50 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

....and don't forget Hamman.
Old 06 March 2002, 11:15 PM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

True enough but Bobbys boys played well.
For any team to play as well as they did 2-0 down you have to take your hat off to them.
Old 07 March 2002, 12:37 AM
DazV
Scooby Regular

I've seen us play well, and believe me that WASN'T playing well by our standards.

Laurent Robert says he wants to get into the French squad - Laurent Robert needs a kick up his galic ar$e. The frustrating thing is he shows glimpses of pure class, but never seems up for it. If his attitude doesn't change he needs to be sold for someone who WILL work for the side.

Thankfully we've got a straight forward run-in til the end of the season, which should *hopefully* see us qualify for the Champions League (and go straight out of the competition). The money will come in handy as it did for Leeds. If you want to be serious about winning the League, the Champions League money is a MUST.

-DV

Old 07 March 2002, 09:48 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

>> Liverpool were good, but they won't win the league. They're not >>as good as Man Utd

Who they've beaten twice in the league this season!!

No idea who will win the league, but it's going to be interesting!

regards,

greg
Old 07 March 2002, 12:20 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Who they've beaten twice in the league this season!!
2 games dont make you champions...

Watched the game and it was an entertaining one thats for sure. I think Anelka has been the best move Liverpool have made for a long time as he seems to have given them a new spark they were starting to lack - his pace makes Heskey look like an OAP on a zimmer frame

I personally think its Arsenal or Man Utd who will win - and I think whoever wins the match at OT in April will win the title (which is why Im guessing that Arsenal didnt appeal against Henrys ban incase it kicked in over that vital period). Even being a Man Utd fan I think Arsenal are looking the stronger but I think Henrys ban could change that and man utd do still have that healthy +9 goal diff over the rest. Either way it will be the closest finish weve seen for a while so plenty of nailbiting over the last few matches
Old 07 March 2002, 01:18 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Remember the '70s & '80s, Liverpool wer winning everything in sight, but could we beat United, could we f**k. I unfortunately we are suffering the same thing in reverse. Where are Dominic Matteo and Robbie when you need them?
Old 07 March 2002, 02:32 PM
andym172
Scooby Regular

Liverpool vs Newcastle is always the most entertaining match of the season so it was no surprise that last nights match was a good'un.

Newcastle play good football, but I'd put them in a group with Spurs, Sunderland Chelsea and perhaps Aston Villa - but not in the Champions League group of Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd and Leeds.

Anelka was on fire last night Should we buy him?: YES!! (even though he's on £70k per week)
Old 07 March 2002, 03:35 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Didn't mean to offend Liverpool supporters when I said they won't win the league - I was just passing my opnion as a Newcastle fan having played all the top teams home and away now. Liverpool are a good side - its just they're passing and movement isn't as good as Man United and Arsenal yet. I'm sure Houlier will fix that.

Its amazing Chelsea haven't done better - they're a cracking side on their day. Ranieri needs to kick some **** over there.

Its great for football that it'll be such a close finish. Only wish we had Bellamy and Dyer still in to keep the pressure on! We had a game in hand on the leaders before we got hit with injuries, which our small squad can't accomodate like the others. Realistically we'll be lucky to finish in the top 4 now. But thats not bad when you remember we were fighting relegation 2 seasons ago.

-DV
Old 07 March 2002, 05:49 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

.......not offended
Old 07 March 2002, 08:28 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Smile

I'm not offended, I fully agree. We need to sort the consistency, and drop the amount of glaring errors. Beating the top teams is all well and good, but get complacent at places like Everton/Leicester etc, and you will come out two, or even three points short.
Old 07 March 2002, 08:45 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Very pleased with Anelka last night.
Old 07 March 2002, 10:08 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Yeah Annelka is top notch. Just shows how much confidence affects players. When he was at Arsenal you'd be pushed to find a better striker anywhere in the world, so it was disappointing to see him when he first joined Liverpool - lost all of his cockiness and arrogance and didn't look threatening.

But the more he's played for Liverpool the more he's looking like the brilliant striker of old. I really think Liverpool should pull out all the stops and buy him in the summer. Has a fee been agreed ? I'd hate PSG to come back and say, right that'll be £20m

Old 07 March 2002, 11:43 PM
andym172
Scooby Regular

Yes, Liverpool have agreed an option to pay just over £10m for Anelka.
Old 08 March 2002, 03:49 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

If that's all that's being asked then I reckon we should go for it. I am sure that a rough fee would have been agreed before the loan deal otherwise PSG would be able to stiff us if he started to show excellent form.

Considering we got £11-13.5m (depending on who you listen to) for Robbie Fowler, that would certainly make up for his loss as Anelka for £10m seems like an absolute bargain. Remember what Arsenal sold him for???? Around £20m IIRC

Joolz.

Ps. Someone has said 'Whoever wins Arsenal vs ManUre will win the league. Does that mean Liverpool get it if there's a draw

Old 08 March 2002, 07:09 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

£10m would be bargain of the season.

He's only 22 or something - couldn't believe that when I heard it. Puts into perspective how much he achieved at Arsenal at such a young age.

Can you imagine how deadly your frontline will be - Owen and Annelka on top form, flying at defenders ? Frightening!

-DV

PS: The thing that every Liverpool should dread though is in the future when, after he scores a goal, he doesn't bother celebrating - Thierry Henry has started doing this lately - its as if he's saying, right that's the Premiership sorted, lets move on to Serie A or La Liga.

I know its a little racist but I think French players especially can turn into arrogant tossers. We've got one who plays on the wing.
Old 08 March 2002, 07:10 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Anelka is only 22.The only thing is has he grown up yet.