Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2009, 02:37 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Career change - am i mad?

Situation:

I've been working for more than 10 years in IT (Unix admin + programmer) and I'm bored out of my brains at work, don't like the company, hate the commute (35 miles one way in traffic), don't have anything interesting to do (and it looks as if there wont be anything interesting to do for a while either). I do, however, make a "respectable" amount of money.

Now, every Sunday afternoon (and sometimes mornings too) is darkened by the fact that I know I have to drag my **** to work on Monday morning, and it's not doing my mental health any favours, to say the least.

I'm not sure if I'm just getting bored of IT generally, or if it is something else (I'm 30 this year, so possibly prone to a bit of mid life crisis).

I really, really, really want to do something different, but would I be crazy giving up my job to pursue a more "rewarding" career (whatever that turns out to be)?

Who else has changed careers and a) regretted it, or b) thought it was the best decision of their life?
Old 11 May 2009, 02:52 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To answer your question.

Yes I changed career at 37, and while it wasn't the best decison of my life, I'm glad I got out of IT.
Old 11 May 2009, 02:53 PM
New_scooby_04

Henrik. In the current climate, you have to be realistic. If you have a steady job and decent income the question is: "Can I afford to put this in jeopardy, given my lifestyle?"

I would suggest that until you at least have an idea of what you might do instead, the answer is probably "no". Once you've given this some thought, you can go about thinking how you might optimise your chances of securing a job in whatever sector gets your attention.

Be prepared to have to invest in more education: at the moment it can be a right bitch for even experienced, qualified people to secure employment, so it's a minefield for newbies, even if you're prepared to work for peanuts, relatively speaking!

If the above sounds negative, then I would say that I strongly believe that work occupies to greater proportion of an already short life to be miserable in your occupation! I'm, therefore, not saying, 'don't jump', I am saying, 'start looking now for a good place to jump to and investing in a soft landing before you jump!'

There are so many options for further training these days and you don't need to give up your current job to partake in them.

Good luck whatever you do!
Old 11 May 2009, 02:54 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I'm in the same situation as yourself. Bored stupid with my job. Hate getting up on a morning knowing I have to go to work.

I've thought long and hard as to what else I can do. Lots of head scratching, and conclusions along the lines of A) not enough money, B) Need to go back to college and start from scratch (see `A`), or C) I'd probably get bored of that too.

Thought of a few other things that would mean moving away. And that just leads to other problems. Money, family, relationships etc. Plus the massive risk factor.

Have thought of a business idea, but to be honest I'm a bit scared that if it doesn't work out, I'd have given up a job that pays the bills. In todays current climate, is jacking it all in really the right thing to do? Yes, if it works out. No, if it doesn't.

Really depressed with work if I'm honest. Been buying those "Rich for life" scratchcards in the hope of being able to walk into work and hand in my notice.
Old 11 May 2009, 03:31 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Hmm, I hear what you guys are saying about being realistic, but I really feel like I'm at breaking point.

Apart from holidays and car parts, I don't really spend that much money, so I don't think a drop in income would actually make *that* much of a difference to my life (obviously, it would to some extent, but not massively). I also haven't got any debt, got a bit of savings and my rent is cheap (plus wife is working at the moment so she could carry me for a while).

On reflection, I think I should just try to find a more exciting job - I refuse to believe that there isn't an interesting job for someone like me out there. I still enjoy programming and coming up with new solutions.

Also, thinking a bit further about the 'problem' - I don't think it's the job as such, it's the company and the people I have to work with.
Old 11 May 2009, 03:40 PM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

:-) I could of wrote that topic.

Im a sun/solaris unix admin / contractor and at 30, after 6 years of contracting, had the same feeling. When my contract finished I decided to look at a different career. I tried selling cars, buying a few pizza and even Mcd's franchises and staffing them, all to no avail. So, decided to drink heavily and club for 6 months, finally returning to IT / contracting 6 months later.

Move on 6 years to when I reached 36 ( Im 37 now ), came out of a long hard contract, decided to take a year off, as Ive had enough. Was completely brain dead due to 80/120hr weeks. Managed to to pay off my mortgage, ( walking into a bank, telling the cashier that I would to pay off my mortgage was a wonderful feeling :-) ) and decided to, again, think of a new career.

Now mortgage was paid, could of taken a hit in the £££ front, so looked into starting a security company supplying doorman to clubs, then importing JDM cars via Southampton, and a few other things, but again nothing really took off. By now, having all that time off, my lady got pregnant and we had a baby boy. :-), so was a busy 15months off ! :-)

Realised a couple of things, a) Im useless of thinking of new careers and ideas. b) nothing was going to give me the ££££ of contracting. c) kids cost big ££££££££

So, went back into contracting, started a new company, and here I am solaris contracting again, and boy I hate it ! I hate IT, Im not someone that lives and breathes IT, dont get excited if a new blade server turns up and am not into going home and installing VM ware on my pc and having 16 environments, doing nothing but just running. Dont get a semi when hearing the words SAN or fabric.

I really cant keep doing IT, as I want to do my own thing, answer to myself, but I dont know what to do, Im trapped in by the £££££.

So, if you can think of something, then I'll lift my cap and salute you sir :-)

SBK
Old 11 May 2009, 04:25 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik
Situation:

I've been working for more than 10 years in IT (Unix admin + programmer) and I'm bored out of my brains at work, don't like the company, hate the commute (35 miles one way in traffic), don't have anything interesting to do (and it looks as if there wont be anything interesting to do for a while either). I do, however, make a "respectable" amount of money.

Now, every Sunday afternoon (and sometimes mornings too) is darkened by the fact that I know I have to drag my **** to work on Monday morning, and it's not doing my mental health any favours, to say the least.

I'm not sure if I'm just getting bored of IT generally, or if it is something else (I'm 30 this year, so possibly prone to a bit of mid life crisis).

I really, really, really want to do something different, but would I be crazy giving up my job to pursue a more "rewarding" career (whatever that turns out to be)?

Who else has changed careers and a) regretted it, or b) thought it was the best decision of their life?
Welcome to the club

15 years in embedded systems / C/C++ programming and object orientated design. Bored sh*tless, but the money is great, I have relatively good job security, and a mortgage to pay.

If I could make the same money running mountain biking holidays in somewhere like North Wales I'd be off.

Just need to have the big idea, that or win the lottery, or get into developing killer iPhone apps
Old 11 May 2009, 04:36 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

similiar postion, pretty well paid job in IT -- but as SBK says I have no interest in building a multi domain VMware environment etc when I get home and HATE mondays with a passion -- aprt from the Tuesday after a 3 day weekend

but and the big but is I have to support my wife (who does not work) and my 5 kids (plus assorted houses and cars) so I just lump it really and enjoy the wekends eves and holidays -- of which I have a few

but good luck, i'm to bolted to the "merry go round" to jump off
Old 11 May 2009, 04:47 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

I would say go for it Fella .
Wont bore you with details of what I have done done ,but I ve left a good job with non to go to (young love at the time !!).

I have taken a job with major pay cut (same company ) to get more time with family and have much less work stress .

Yes money has been tighter ,but I would not go back to my old job for double the money back .

I believe things will work "themselves out " .

I say go for it .!! Lifes too short to stand still .!!
Good Luck .
Old 11 May 2009, 04:58 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

well I must be jack mcmad of madvill, as we (my family) are in the process of selling our business, earning a good living, so I can move away to a totally new area to be with my girlfriend( their are other factors). the mad thing is I have no idea what so ever what I'm going to do work wise, I'm not trained/skilled in anything specific either, though I'm willing to do almost anything

Last edited by ronjeramy; 11 May 2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11 May 2009, 05:29 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ronjeramy
well I must be jack mcmad of madvill, as we (my family) are in the process of selling our business, earning a good living, so I can move away to a totally new area to be with my girlfriend( their are other factors). the mad thing is I have no idea what so ever what I'm going to do work wise, I'm not trained/skilled in anything specific either, though I'm willing to do almost anything
Why can't she move to where you are ? are you that C**t struck ?
Old 11 May 2009, 05:50 PM
Will
BANNED

My mate has just had a career change, he was in IT, he has a kid and a mortgage and he is going to go in the Army and he is 25 years old .
Old 11 May 2009, 05:51 PM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Bolted to the "Merry go round" ? Amen to that brother !

Im at home now, but left the office discussion of why linux is better than solaris and how solaris and other unix favours are ` old hat`. Who f**king cares !

Getting into my car, leaving the clients car park, the smile returns to me face !

Driving home, Ive worked out what Im going to do, job wise. Going to pop down to the job centre and looking a positon that needs someone to test drive new cars, whilst visiting 5* hotels, and testing new cocktails.

If there was only such a job, well maybe they need a fourth person on Top Gear ?

SBK
Old 11 May 2009, 05:56 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

If I were you I'd look at what the contract market looks like for your skill set, and if it looks ok, then look at changing career safe in the knowledge that you could pick-up some decent contract work if things dont turn out.

I'm also in IT, and although the work is fairly interesting the people I work with are what make it for me. Always a really good laugh in the office, and thats what keeps me working for that company, even though the pay rates is only average at best. Enjoying the job is more important to me that extra income.

You spend a massive amount of time 'at work' so it's really important to enjoy it IMO. it's easy to think the money is everything, but it's not.
Old 11 May 2009, 06:16 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Petem95
I'm also in IT, and although the work is fairly interesting the people I work with are what make it for me. Always a really good laugh in the office, and thats what keeps me working for that company, even though the pay rates is only average at best. Enjoying the job is more important to me that extra income.
That's a very good point - I used to enjoy this job as well, as I liked my work mates, but then we were moved to a new office and split up and placed into other teams and now, frankly, it sucks as nobody talks to each other.

As an example of how small minded they are, last week they had a huge argument about someone leaving an empty box in the server room on someones work bench.

I've always wanted to do contracting, so maybe I should give that a go, although times for contracting could probably be better I don't particularly care about contracting money, but the fact that I'd hopefully be changing companies at least once a year does appeal.

"Good" to find out that I'm not the only one feeling like this in IT, at least that hopefully means I'm not crazy (or you're as loopy as me ))
Old 11 May 2009, 09:00 PM
LC Geezer
Scooby Regular

I'm in IT too (C, C++, JavaScript, C#, T-SQL, yada yada yada). I'm finding a real drag now. Just recently I've been doing some shifts with the Met Police as an observer and I'm feeling a strong urge to jump ship. What an exciting job. Every day is different and you have no idea what you'll be doing. OK, so an amazing amount of paperwork involved and you have to be VERY thick skinned but wow-what a rush.
Old 11 May 2009, 09:28 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
Why can't she move to where you are ? are you that C**t struck ?
She would have to take a £20k a year pay cut if she came up to me, which she offered to do, makes more sense for me to go down there. There's not much happening up here and i would like a new challenge out of my comfort zone
Old 11 May 2009, 09:41 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing to do with IT, and dont know anything obout it. I did a career change at 40. Worked as a carpenter, "always" and earnt good money. Bored though and fed up working with **** lickers and **** heads. My brother works in the mechanical services industry. GAS-AIRCON etc..So i took a year out and at a big cost, but we know run our own mechanical services company. GAS-PLUMBING-HEATING and COMPRESSED AIR. leave the house at 8 ish and home no later than 4 pm. Been home today since 2 pm and spent all day in the garden with the kids and my dog. Absoloutley ACE. Best move i ever made, and meeting new people all the time.
Old 11 May 2009, 09:54 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Did the same thing - only a bit earlier in life and not into a totally different vocation.

Going to be quite candid here.

Went from being a recording engineer on FANTASTIC money and the best that it could buy, but stupid hours (averaging 4 hours sleep per night - 7 days per week)
Got out of the one thing and moved into lecturing the same subject. Spent a year on a 10th of my income and that itself caused financial nightmares that you can't even imagine. Took a LONG time to dig myself out of the ****....

BUT.....

I'm now happy. I see my wife and kids every night at teatime (I'm surprised my wife stuck with me tbh)

I'm still on a fraction of my "old" income, but it's a good wage. There's the fringe benefits of weekends and holidays etc - (this is why I ignore Pete's rant about teachers' wages etc!!! )

I also have my own production business on the side - do a lot of music recording/production/composing etc but on MY terms and stuff that I enjoy.

All in all - didn't seem like it at the time, and financial aspect was crippling, but it was in hindsight, the BEST move I ever made.

I now have the best of all worlds.

Life's too short!

Dan
Old 12 May 2009, 06:15 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

We all go through times when we get fed up with ourt jobs. It maybe the job itself or the people you have to work with.

If its a well paid job the answer is simple. Keep the job and do something to spice it up ie find a fit bird in the office preferably one that is already in a relationship and start ******** her.
Try and **** her whilst at work and keeping it a secret.

You will look forward to going to work every morning and feel excited
Old 12 May 2009, 08:47 AM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

Deep, so wish I worked with you :-)

The guy who said that its the people that you work with, that make the job fun, is correct. I worked on a Govn project for four years and worked with some tremendously funny contractors. Every day was fun, I used to love coming into work, as the pi55 take was great, everyone was friends, and although a relaxed environment, we managed to big, support and maintain a £500m system. Not only were you having fun, but when problems happened, you would all discuss issues, new ideas and really learnt new stuff.

The problem Ive got now is my current contract is awful, in regards to the folk I work with. Allo permies, all hate contractors, all hate change and hate the idea of someone coming in saying their system needs improvements.

Im doing some right dross work, i.e. fixing old admin scripts, cleaning up servers, installing monitoring scripts, sorting performance issues whilst trying to recommend new stratgies. At the moment, Im trying to explain that solaris 8 is EOL and you need to upgrade ! Made the mistake of suggesting zones, branded zones, and they look at me as if I was chanting witchcraft.

As for going contracting, gents now isnt the time. The market is poor, very poor, worst Ive seen it in 14 years of contracting ! Was bad after Y2K, but this is awful. So many budgets have been pulled, and contractors are the first resource to go, which you have to accept as this is what contracting is all about. Best time of the year for contracts are march and october.

Im a limited company, and as well as this client, I do bits of private work, but I wish I had become a dentist, or something where I can set up my own practise. Am certainly going to try and guide my son's career into something where he has a skill, that people come to him, and he can set up his own business.

Dont get me wrong, IT has done me well, and Im not exactly overworked, but I have lost that drive, that hunger.

SBK
Old 12 May 2009, 09:40 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

SBK, are you my alter ego (minus the contracting bit??). That sounds exactly like my job!
Old 12 May 2009, 10:28 AM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

hahaha :-) noticed your based in London, do you work there too ? I did 7 years in the city / banks, and that was worse. Working in a team, never allowed to do any job outside the scope of your desk.

Trade floor support was a turd job too, not sure how it is now, but traders were so rude, arrogant but was great watching them get sacked now and then.

In my opinion, unless you know what you want to do, in this current climate, stick with your job. Money is money at the end of the day. I now come to work with a whole new attitude, "To hell with it", just come in do my bits they want me to do, and go home. I dont care if it goes wrong, infact I dont care that the whole organisation logs in as root ! I also dont care that everything runs on solaris 8 and hasnt been patched for 3 years, I just dont care ! Not my problem. :-)

6 hours to home time ! :-)

SBK
Old 12 May 2009, 06:47 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sbk1972
I now come to work with a whole new attitude, "To hell with it", just come in do my bits they want me to do, and go home. I dont care if it goes wrong, infact I dont care that the whole organisation logs in as root ! I also dont care that everything runs on solaris 8 and hasnt been patched for 3 years, I just dont care ! Not my problem. :-)
The above has been my attitude towards my job for about the last 6 months!!!

Surprisingly though I'm on a training course (1st one in about 7 years!!) and am out of the office and loving it

Come next Sunday evening and I know I've got to go back to work I'll no doubt be in a **** mood!!

Andy
Old 12 May 2009, 10:22 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

My view would be in the current climate to keep the job and the income stream and seriously look at what you really want to do and start spending alot more of your time thinking and planning the best way to achieve it.

It may be that although you think you hate IT, its only what you're actually doing at the moment which is hacking you off. So could a slight change of IT direction be a possibility ? alternatively do you have any hobbies or talents which would allow you to earn an income ? Is there any opportunity to explore setting up a small business whilst continuing to work ? which would reduce the impact if it doesn't work out and take your mind of the drudgery of your IT work.

Having said all of the above in terms of playing it safe and minimising this and that......You only get ONE life and sometimes what is needed is a Big Bang approach which starts with the phrase "Stuff this......." I resign.

Only you can decide! what works for one guy, may not work for another.

Good Luck
Old 13 May 2009, 10:57 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

There a loads of factors to take into account, mortgages , kids etc but if you have non or you feel they are secure then I would say do it.
The average interest level in a single job is 2 years, 2 years before you want to move to another department or take on different roles etc.
The shelf life of an average person in a job is 10 year. At about 10 years it is more than common to feel like you are giving nothing and getting nothing from work.

I am of the school of thought that work life should be a portfolio and not a job for life. There are so many thing to experience and its a pity not to try as much as you can. I have had jobs from working in rescue kennels looking after abused dogs to being front line fodder. I have worked in offices on building sites for big companies and for family businesses and I feel well rounded for it.

If you can make it work then make it work, no one ever got anywhere by treading water!!!
Old 14 May 2009, 03:57 PM
wasbakerman
Scooby Newbie

Thank **** for that, I thought it was just me

Mainframe programmer up to early 2008 (having done 10years)
Went more businessy up until late 2008
Went contracting from 11/08 to 04/09 just for a change and to make a few quid. Have had the last 6 weeks 'on holiday' and now starting to look about again - I can live very cheaply so not really spending anything.

My suggestion is do what you need to do to get paid every month whilst having a serious think where your life is going. For most of 2007 and 2008 I kept looking out the window thinking there has to be more than life to this and subsequently my wife and I decided to stop work at 40 and do stuff, that is only 3 years away and if (I accept it is a very big if) I can get another contract we should be OK.

There is a big world out there and the thought of looking back at my life when I am 60 thinking all I did was work in IT in a building I think that would be a complete waste of a life. I used to be very materialistic but now much more interested in quality of life and doing stuff.
Old 16 May 2009, 03:53 PM
GEORDIESTI
Scooby Regular

henrik,

I would love a job in IT, i have been trying to get a job in it for a long time, i have IT qualifications- NVQ levels,1,2,3 in IT apps,National Diploma in Informations systems Management, HNC in it apps. Build my own computers form spec,scratch etc

But for the life of me cant get a job because i have no experience,but how can i gain experience unless i get a job,someone gives me that chance. Because of this i am stuck in the same job for the last ten years (warehouse/logistics) am bored to death.

Keep hoping that someone will give me a chance,just one chance.

dave
Old 16 May 2009, 06:09 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

How about doing some added value thinking for your company? Think up ways that you could save money/time/effort/improve quality/reliability for your company and pitch the idea? If it's offering real benefits and fits with management plans, chances are they'll let you run with it. Voila - you just created your own job!

I did this with my current work and went from being a contractor on a 4 week contract to a permie in a few months and saved the org about 50K per annum in the process.... just think in an unconstrained way.