Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Terry Pratchett: Alzheimer's

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2009, 12:45 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Terry Pratchett: Alzheimer's

I just watched a Television program presented by Terry Pratchett all about his Alzheimer's. Extremely sad: He can't type quickly anymore, can't spell.

Tragic.

Steve
Old 08 February 2009, 12:52 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is indeed i've enjoyed many of his books yet his plight doesn't seem to get into the news as much as someone elses

It's a shame he can't finish off the Sam Vimes story
Old 08 February 2009, 09:22 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

It was quite an emotional program. Quite brave to attempt to read to his fans knowing that it would kick in at some point and affect him.

I thought the comment about his computer screens was very funny.

"Why have I got 6?"

"Because I haven't got room for 8"

Top chap
Old 08 February 2009, 09:27 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
It is indeed i've enjoyed many of his books yet his plight doesn't seem to get into the news as much as someone elses

It's a shame he can't finish off the Sam Vimes story
Hmm, TP is a more private person who does not have Max Clifford is her PR retainer. On the other hand if Jades cancer and high profile status means other people get diagnosed or treated then that's a good thing - IMHO.

It does seem very sad that someone as smart and creative as TP has this terrible disease. Small comfort but at least he has the fund to make it as comfortable as possible. Not many people will be as fortunate
Old 08 February 2009, 10:02 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very sad to watch As a child I witnessed my Gran deteriorating from alzheimer's. I'll never forget a few days before she died we visited her in hospital, she asked the nurse who the strange man was. That strange man was her son. Broke my dads heart.

Originally Posted by boxst
He can't type quickly anymore, can't spell.

Steve
On a lighter note, that sounds like 90% of scoobynet
Old 08 February 2009, 10:07 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Very sad to watch As a child I witnessed my Gran deteriorating from alzheimer's. I'll never forget a few days before she died we visited her in hospital, she asked the nurse who the strange man was. That strange man was her son. Broke my dads heart.

Went through the same.
Old 16 February 2009, 09:41 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I just saw the second part of this: There appears to be some hope for people in a few years time, although perhaps too late for Mr. Pratchett.

Always scary to imagine ending up not knowing who you or any of your family are.

Anyway, I hope he manages to finish his 37th book.

Steve
Old 16 February 2009, 09:47 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I watched my Nan deteriorate with this too, it's horrible. It was almost a relief when she died last year. She rarely knew who any of us were, where she was or even how old she was. The only good thing was that on the last occasion that I saw her she was completely lucid and knew who I was, just like 'old Nan' used to be so I will always remember her like that.

I'm terrified that I'll get it now, I think I'd take a body debilitating disease over a mind debilitating disease any day
Old 16 February 2009, 10:03 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
Went through the same.
So did we with my grandma.

Very sad about TP - been a fan of his books for many years. Think I have read every one of them.
Old 16 February 2009, 10:15 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Mrs Leslie's mum had the same to the ultimate degree until she died. Mrs Leslie cared for her for a good 12 years, if you can imagine how hard that is to do, you will understand why I say that Mrs Leslie is the most unselfish person I have ever known!

Les
Old 16 February 2009, 10:18 AM
Timur 008
Scooby Regular

My Nan had Alzheimer's too! who ever is replying to this thread looks like most of our grandma's had it man Nan battled with this illness for around 7 years & it was sad to see her go from forgetting a few things then start to really jumble things up like not being able to read etc.. her worst state was when she started to think my younger brother was her son & she was going to take him back home - when trying to explain to her she would start to cry:.( in her last days she couldn't even know how to feed herself & my mother who was looking after her fulltime had to do everything for her - its a really sad thing & wouldn't like to see disease on anyone every again. Also it is really worrying that the illness is hereditary! i pray every night none of my family gets it.
Old 16 February 2009, 10:28 AM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

My dad has it and it's bloody awful. It took 5 years to get so bad my Mum could no longer look after him, it nearly killed her taking care of him. He would ask you same questions over and over again. I lost count how many cups of tea he offered me in the space of an hour

I looked at a picture of him the other day that was taken while he was still at home and looking in his eyes the Dad I knew had gone. He's been in the home for 2 years now and I have only been few times even though it's 2 mins down the road.

I just want to remember the Dad I knew who took me shopping for toys as a kid and who laughed and joked all the time. It's quite hard to cope with and visiting is very upsetting and that why I don't go now.

Not sure how I feel about it really as I have never spoke about it before, I suppose it's like he died 7 years ago.
Old 16 February 2009, 10:28 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Paul Habgood;8491600]Hmm, TP is a more private person who does not have Max Clifford is her PR retainer. On the other hand if Jades cancer and high profile status means other people get diagnosed or treated then that's a good thing - IMHO.[QUOTE]

But cancer is a more recognised killer then Alzheimers and doesn't have to have 'celebs' developing it to make it more in the news (not a JG fan but she doesn't deserve cancer but i don't think she deserves all the headlines as well)
Old 16 February 2009, 10:37 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

T5OLF - that's very sad to hear.

My Mum had a terrible time looking after her Mum who had it. She was the nearest to her and looking after her became a very major part of her life. It was awful seeing her deteriorate from a lovely kind and bright person to someone that couldn't remember a thing, and did all sorts of odd things like calling the cops to find her "lost" daughter (her other daughter died when she was 4 - hit by a lorry in the 1950s) who had been dead for about 50 years.
Old 16 February 2009, 10:58 AM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Yeah it's not nice, my wife's gran had it as well so no hope for us two. My Dad could tell you names of all his sisters and were he worked when he was 16 but he could not remember what he had done the day before, like you say it does strange things to them.
Old 09 October 2009, 11:51 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Surprisingly he managed to finish his latest book. I have this feeling it'll be his last sadly.

Unseen Academicals: Amazon.co.uk: Terry Pratchett: Books

Steve
Old 10 October 2009, 12:42 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Looks quite good ( but then again most of them are)
Old 02 June 2011, 02:16 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Well, he has finished another book ("Snuff" http://www.amazon.co.uk/Snuff-Discwo...7020508&sr=8-1) but sadly his condition is getting worse and he is looking at assisted suicide (http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre...ratchett.shtml).

Not yet I hope, but sobering that he has to even think about it.
Old 02 June 2011, 04:47 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Some said stories on here.

My neighbour accross the road has been getting steadily worse with it over recent years. He regularly asks me all sorts strange stuff, poor bugger he's totally confused. For about 6 months he would repeatidly attempt to get into his car with some old house keys, his daughter took his car keys off him to stop him driving but he'd be over to me if I was ever outside asking if I could open his car. The confusion on his face when I'd tell him he doesn't drive anymore was sad. He's also got quite aggressive with me before, he asked if I could take him to some railway convention meeting that didn't exist and when I asked where his wife was he started having a go at me. What worries me is his mrs leaves him at home all day sometimes and he locks himself out the house, he wanders off without shoes on. I was in tesco the other day and he appeared through the entrance (wearing one trainer, one shoe) and just walked straight out totally confused and wandered off. The shop is about 2 miles away from his house.

The strange thing is I usd to see his daughter and grandson visit him lots but they don't come round anymore.
Old 02 June 2011, 07:24 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Very close subject to my heart indeed.
I have worked with people who suffer Alzheimer's, and I have had one Alzheimer's case in my ex's family. It is very sad to see the family members breaking their heart when the patient has no recognition or memory of his/her relatives and friends whatsoever. Can you imagine your father looking at you with blank eyes, thinking you are just anyone or anyone? Can you imagine when your wife may think that you are nothing but her medical nurse or a neighbour? Can you imagine when your mother rejects you, thinking that you are some invader? Remember John Suchet's interviews regarding his wife? So very painful. My heart goes out to the relatives.
Old 02 June 2011, 07:33 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
I just watched a Television program presented by Terry Pratchett all about his Alzheimer's. Extremely sad: He can't type quickly anymore, can't spell.

Tragic.

Steve
I think he must be posting on here, under several different user names !