Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sales Job interview tips

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2009, 02:07 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sales Job interview tips

I have a job interview tomorrow morning. It's selling the same type of giftware which i all ready sell so i'm hoping this is going to help me in the interview.

Just wondering if you can give me a few tips.

Should i ask at the end of the interview if there is anything stopping them from offering me this great opportunity. Some people like to hear this question.

I always get stuck on the question why do you want to leave your present job ? I know you should't slag your company of hear.

How early should you get to the interview ?

Any other tips.

Thanks
Old 11 January 2009, 03:09 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Should i ask at the end of the interview if there is anything stopping them from offering me this great opportunity. Some people like to hear this question.

Sounds a bit "cheesy "that to be honest .

I always get stuck on the question why do you want to leave your present job ? I know you should't slag your company of hear.

I would say ,I want better prospects and a chance to develope ,a new challenge etc etc .

I would say 30 mins before to show keenness,punctuality etc and also to allow you time to settle if the jny there has been hectic or busy with traffic

Best of Luck .

Thanks[/QUOTE]
Old 11 January 2009, 03:12 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

+1 on the above comments but I would work to 15mins early myself 30 seems a little desperate lol.
Old 11 January 2009, 03:15 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
+1 on the above comments but I would work to 15mins early myself 30 seems a little desperate lol.

Yep fair comment .Park up round the corner for 15 mins then go in 15 mins early .Covers all eventualities .
Old 11 January 2009, 03:27 PM
mcvicar
Scooby Regular

Yes, yes and yes. I take it the interview will be with the sales manager present. They will be looking for you to make the "CLOSE" as you would with any sale. As you will know being a salesman now, its all about stepping out of your "Comfort Zone" and what better than at an interview.
I would word it slightly different to that though. Unfortunately only being in the particular situation will lead you to the correct question, after you have read what they are not saying. Be direct though and don't forgrt the "What, Where, When and Why" questions, as they all require an answer.
Direct IE: When would you like me to start.

Anyway, best of luck and let us know how you get on.

I think 15 mins before is plenty of time to.

Cheers
Del

Last edited by mcvicar; 11 January 2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11 January 2009, 03:39 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Make sure you know your sales figures, know in detail what the people you seeing do, have your questions ready and printed out, ask about bonuses for over acheiving, ask about personal development to so you are demonstrating you donlt think you knwo it all and wnat to learn but will have done your research and are confident in your abilities.

Donl;t give cheesy cliched answers be yourself and do sell yourself by being confident but not arrogant and be able to back up youir plus points with examples of winning behaviour. Make sure you have specific exmaples in mind of what you have done well in the past. Know your most memorable deals in detail.

I've run a highly successful sales team for over 10 years and it never ceases to amaze me how poor most of the people i see are in terms of preparation and attitude. A good sales person will stand out quickly and a great sales person will quickly develop great rapport and they will often run the interview as much as the interviewer !

My last interview I prepared at least a week in advance and knew more about the company than the people that interviewed me, I got offered the job , more money than I asked for and a more senior position, turned it down in the end as the journey was terrible although the package was very good.

Good luck and hope it goes well for you.

AlllanB
Old 11 January 2009, 06:07 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vallumlj
I have a job interview tomorrow morning. It's selling the same type of giftware which i all ready sell so i'm hoping this is going to help me in the interview.

You don't say what sort of selling? In a shop? Retail or trade? In a back office, cold calling?

Just wondering if you can give me a few tips.

Personally I wouldn't do this. At the end of the chat I would thank them for their interest and say that you would be excited about working with them and feel you could make a positive contribution and ask when you can expect to hear from them. When you get home follow it up with a brief e-mail. Please check your spelling (here not hear, below).

Come on, you can work this one out! Better prospects and challenges etc etc

10 minutes but make sure you are at the right place!

Any other tips.

Type out a few questions and run through them. Research their product range thoroughly. Can you transfer ideas from your present job to help them e.g. how do you sell giftware during a credit crunch, niche market ideas etc. All they are looking for is what you can do for them.

Smile

Thanks
Good luck

dl

Last edited by David Lock; 11 January 2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11 January 2009, 06:15 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AllanB
Make sure you know your sales figures, know in detail what the people you seeing do, have your questions ready and printed out, ask about bonuses for over acheiving, ask about personal development to so you are demonstrating you donlt think you knwo it all and wnat to learn but will have done your research and are confident in your abilities.

Donl;t give cheesy cliched answers be yourself and do sell yourself by being confident but not arrogant and be able to back up youir plus points with examples of winning behaviour. Make sure you have specific exmaples in mind of what you have done well in the past. Know your most memorable deals in detail.

I've run a highly successful sales team for over 10 years and it never ceases to amaze me how poor most of the people i see are in terms of preparation and attitude. A good sales person will stand out quickly and a great sales person will quickly develop great rapport and they will often run the interview as much as the interviewer !

My last interview I prepared at least a week in advance and knew more about the company than the people that interviewed me, I got offered the job , more money than I asked for and a more senior position, turned it down in the end as the journey was terrible although the package was very good.

Good luck and hope it goes well for you.

AlllanB
Excellent advice.