Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Feeling a bit down ...

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2002, 08:17 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Probably a stupid thing to post, but I'm really feeling down, for no other reason than that we had to ask the vet to put one of our cats to sleep

Amazing how attached you can get to such a critter. Scary really.

If you want to see her pic when she was still alive & kicking, see http://tvd.telenet.be and go to cats ... Julia.

She will be missed.

And if you think this is just pathetic, please ignore this post, not in the mood.

****ty day...

Theo
Old 18 February 2002, 08:21 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry to hear that Theo, we used to have cats when I was little, stopped keeping them because it was so painful when they died, for some reason our cats had a life expectancy of 2 years
Old 18 February 2002, 08:23 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Theo - mate .... downer...
ps remember my mate Luke from the July ring trip??
Found a piccie 2day of u and matt oz having a natter all together...
brought a smile to my face anyhoo....
pps chat for abuse - c'mon mate lets tag team like the olden days...
Old 18 February 2002, 08:24 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry to hear your bad news Its very upsetting loosing a pet

I'm sure you will get plenty of support to help cheer you up a bit.

Edited to say: Ahh thats your scoob I had that as my wallpaper for months on my PC

[Edited by mega_stream - 2/18/2002 8:27:09 PM]
Old 18 February 2002, 08:30 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Mega - why? its a sh1theap!!

ps ello Mrs Bevel
Old 18 February 2002, 08:42 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

I know the feeling mate...I've growm so attached to our ickle beast in 7 months...I'll get heartbroken when she goes away.

/J
Old 18 February 2002, 10:35 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Thanks for the kind words.

Robertio, 2 years average life span, that is correct... that's what our vet told us after we got our first cat 12 years ago (she was run over by a car). Traffic is the main killer here...

We searched for a house in a 'cul de sac' so that there would be no traffic. 10 years old is not bad in that light, but OTOH you get quite attached to these stupid beasts in 10 years.

Mega, yes, very upsetting indeed, but maybe the better term is bitter/sweet. She had a very protected & happy life (we tend to get carried away with our pets ), but the house feels a little colder now.

And yeah, that's my car Looks a bit different though today, pics will be reveiled later...

J/, yeah, 7 months is enough for a potential heart brake... any pics ? www.slutburk.se ?

Rich, bring the pics to the next Ring trip

Tonight I will be mostly drunk ...

Theo
Old 19 February 2002, 12:10 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

Bugga

It's just reminded me, I had a dream the other night that our cat was still alive... had to think really hard just now as to whether or not he was

Ours got to 16ish... we had to have him put down It was awful watching him struggle round, you could tell he hated it if you helped him!!

Best wishes, Bob
Old 19 February 2002, 12:27 AM
scoobyangel
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

awww really sorry eb....

had my puppy put to sleep when she was only 5months old, she had lukiemia, broke my heart more than anything else in this whole world ever could.
Old 19 February 2002, 07:13 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Horrible thing to happen mate. Even when you know it's the right/only decision it's hard.
Our cats make a habit of living till they are 16+, then starting to go blind/deaf and making a real issue out of quality of life vs suffering vs deciding when to put to sleep . Still, years of companionship make it worthwhile. And it's too tough on them to make them indoor animals and live completely sheltered lives.
Hop on the ferry and we'll get you a beer after Brands Hatch sunday mate.
Regards
Chuck
Old 19 February 2002, 07:56 AM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Of course I've got a piccie Theo.

I am registering her a user any day soon now....she's got a weird habit of checking out the muppet forum first...the priorities seems to be sorted.

/J
Old 19 February 2002, 08:19 AM
AndrewW
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Mate,

I know how you feel.

I got my cat as a kitten when I was 5 years old, and we had to have her put down when I was 26

I don't know if that is some kind of record, but it just hit me that she had been with me for 80% of my life.

Its more like losing a family member than a pet.

Not much else I can say, you will never get over it, but it does get easier.

Andrew.
Old 19 February 2002, 08:34 AM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

Theo,

sorry to hear about it m8 ... it's always horrible when you have to have a pet down ... cos lots of people seem to think you shouldn't be upset about it.

She looks very regal in that picture
Old 19 February 2002, 09:02 AM
scoobylover
Scooby Regular

sorry to hear about your cat. its amazing how attached you get to a pet, they end up being part of the family.

Old 19 February 2002, 10:33 AM
KimA
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Theo,

I'm so sorry to hear about Julia. Your other cats must be missing her terribly as well

Thinking of you.
Kim
Old 19 February 2002, 11:03 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Theo,

Sorry to hear of that

I felt the same when my horse was put down at 10 years old

Speak to you soon, take care

Michelle.
Old 19 February 2002, 11:16 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks again all, took me 5 minutes to convince my wife to get another cat as soon as possible ... not as a replacement, but it will distract us a bit I guess/hope

Glad to see I'm not the only one who feels like we lost a loved one. Rationally I know that's utter bollox, but you can't steer your feelings at will...

Bob, yeah, they are pretty individual creatures, they consider us as very inadequate cats, so they don't need no help from us ...

ScoobyAngel, yup, I can relate to that feeling

Chuck, you are blessed with the 16 years plus, although it doesn't get any easier to finally let them go. Was considering jumping over to Brands, but have an early meeting on Monday, so it will be in Summer somewhere.

/J, that pic is *awesome* Very good hehe. Oh, nice Marshall amp in the corner BTW

Andrew, 21 years ... wow . Must have felt like she had always been there.

Bex, regal, yup What was also funny that - as small as she was - her walk really looked like that of a tiger, moreso than the other cats. Probably long legs / skinny build.

She was also good at impersonating other animals ... here she is doing her snake act

Ta Scoobylover. We consider them "kids", but we never say that out loud, people think we are crazy enough as it is

Kim, the other cats ... well, they don't really notice or understand (I saw that before) that one of them is gone, but they did certainly notice something happened. They lied at our feet all evening long, in places where they normally never lie down, very uncanny.

Ta Chelle

Thanks again,

Theo

[Edited by EvilBevel - 2/19/2002 11:19:23 AM]
Old 19 February 2002, 11:31 AM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Theo>>Lovely pic!!!! I'll have to get one of ours sleeping on the Denon amp (she loves that one...gets really hot)..

/J
P.S. It's an old JCM900 100 W dual reverb head btw...bit loud for my small apartment...thinking of downgrading to a combo instead...
Old 19 February 2002, 11:50 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Theo

Sorry to hear about your cat. We have 3 of the blighters (5, 3 and 5 months old) and love them to bits.

I even bought them some fresh fish from Tescos this week as a treat !! I had to do with fishfingers.

Dave
Old 19 February 2002, 01:19 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry to hear that too. I have a 2 year old cat called Scooby (she was born black as coal with two gold bits - I have a black scoob with gold wheels!) - I know, sad man!

As my girlfriend is travelling at the mo, I'm on my own a lot and so I would be lost without Scoobs. She's fantastic!

Mossman
Old 19 February 2002, 04:17 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Sorry to hear about this Theo. She is a cute little mover in that picture. Remember the good times.

We would quite like one as a child substitute
Old 19 February 2002, 04:25 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

John, we are trying to make Theo feel better and there you go stealing his corner!
Chuck
Old 19 February 2002, 04:33 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Is this "corner" a muppet thing where you start a new page? (genuine question honest!) Is there some etiquette with "corners"? Will this humour make the big man laugh - I hope so
Old 19 February 2002, 04:33 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Theo,

Sorry to hear that, I dread to think what I would be like if anything happened to one of mine.

Here is a picture of them all together in their favourate sleeping place. The two black ones are Georgie and Suki and they are nearly a year and a half old now. The ginger tom is called Bungle and he was a late addition to our family. The person who bought him got him on impulse as a Kitten and realised they couldn't afford to look after him. As he had nowhere else to go I thought he might like to live with us. Anyway he is a year old now and a complete hooligan!

All 3 of them are spoilt rotten and Bungle has got a taste for Sirloin steak now (don't know how that happened...). All 3 of them get on pretty well except for when Bungle decides they need to be bullied a little!

Old 20 February 2002, 07:39 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Theo,

One of our cats, Suki, became very ill just over a year ago and despite the vet's best efforts, we decided to have her put down as we could not bear to see her suffer. We still miss her

She is buried under a tree in the garden, and we hung a windchime above, because it was the sort of thing that would of fascinated her when she was alive.

Our other cat, Smithy, pined so much that we got a rescue cat, Flossy, to keep him company. Smithy is very handsome, and Flossy (pictured below) is very naughty!

Just try and think about the good times.
Tim

[Edited by NBW - 2/20/2002 7:40:41 PM]
Old 20 February 2002, 08:27 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Theo

Here's a big virtual hug from me and Chris to you and your wife

Losing a pet is AWFUL, just awful

Sal & Chris
Old 21 February 2002, 02:14 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks guys, although it's all just bits & bytes, it really helps.

Hoped when I got older that I would get rid of this sillyness, but instead it only gets worse.

"Pet" is a word ... a cat / dog / whatever you know for 10 years, it becomes a *friend*. With their own habits, quircks, mood swings etc...

And having to put them down really sucks Even if it's the only right thing to do ...

Anyway, as I said, grief is only setting in now, but yeah, the fun times are remembered, you can be sure of that ! Owe it to her really

Theo [sad]

PS: to make myself less of a drama queen .. thanks Sal& Chris, Tim, Joey, John (sorry if I forgot a name) ... this is all personal to me, so your posts are really appreciated. As corny as it sounds, we are going to visit the cattery in 2 weeks time for some new born cats...

[Edited by EvilBevel - 2/21/2002 2:20:21 AM]
Old 21 February 2002, 07:05 AM
Mufasa
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hi Theo,

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.
I know what it's like when we had to have my first cat put down (kidneys, he was a terrific mouser).
He was 16 then I think. A stray born behind our deep freeze in the garage. Mum was backing the car out to take me and sis to primary school when a little black & white face popped out from behind the freezer I called "That one's mine and he's called Charlie!" there was no going back then

You did the kindest thing, as painful as it is to us you can't let them suffer.

And don't feel guilty about getting another as soon as possible, they will never replace the one you've lost, but they will help fill the hole they've left.

Kitten piccies soon please!

Muf
Old 21 February 2002, 11:52 AM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

i cant beleive im getting upset reading this, ive just realised how much i miss my dog. id grew up with him from being 5 yrs old and he was 15 when he died. My mum used to say hed be lay asleep and when he heard my car pull up hed grap his rubber ball and run to the window Then 2 weeks later my girlfreinds dog died that she had grew up with also.
Now nobody in my family will have a pet because of the heartbreak it causes when they pass away.
I just hope that my girlfreinds cat keeps tucked up safe and walm with us for the next few years. and here he is........