Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why do you have a drain after an operation

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2008, 10:44 AM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do you have a drain after an operation

What does it drain away, why does it need to be in?
Old 19 December 2008, 10:48 AM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Depending on the operation you can get a lot of fluid build up, blood from bruising predominantely.

Your body is an amazing thing and will detect when it's broken and try to repair itself, a sticky yellow fluid is produced in abundance to literally glue everything back together again. Don't know the technical name for it perhaps someone else does....
Old 19 December 2008, 10:48 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

To rid the area of fluid
Old 19 December 2008, 10:49 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Um - you don't do you? I've had three ops, and not had a drain in when I've come round in any of them.

Unless you mean whilst you still on the operating table?
Old 19 December 2008, 10:49 AM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

ok thanks jsut wondered.
Old 19 December 2008, 10:51 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Um - you don't do you? I've had three ops, and not had a drain in when I've come round in any of them.

If you get an infection you would have it inserted post op. It won't heal any quicker though
Old 19 December 2008, 10:53 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PeteBrant

Think it depends on the operation Pete. Although I'm not sure exactly what it's purpose is (well I wasn't, til now), but when my Mam had her surgery for Breast Cancer last year, she had to have a drain for a while, it was quite uncomfortable for her to say the least.
Old 19 December 2008, 10:53 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Depends on where the operation is and what it is......eg. if you have an operation to correct jaw alignment where they need to break and split the jaw then you will have a drain on each side just beneath the jaw line to remove slight internal bleeding and fluid build up.
Old 19 December 2008, 11:02 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Milamber
Depending on the operation you can get a lot of fluid build up, blood from bruising predominantely.

Your body is an amazing thing and will detect when it's broken and try to repair itself, a sticky yellow fluid is produced in abundance to literally glue everything back together again. Don't know the technical name for it perhaps someone else does....

You mean the platelets - they act as a binding agent, and too many of them can cause a thrombosis (blood clot)

Good link I just found: Blood: Platelets - The Human Heart: An Online Exploration from The Franklin Institute, made possible by Unisys
Old 19 December 2008, 11:17 AM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
You mean the platelets - they act as a binding agent, and too many of them can cause a thrombosis (blood clot)

Good link I just found: Blood: Platelets - The Human Heart: An Online Exploration from The Franklin Institute, made possible by Unisys
No I don't think I do. What I'm talking about is a yellow fluid that physically glues stuff back together, sometime you create too much and that's bad for you, thats why they drain it off.

For instance I've seen it stick skin to the muscle tissue underneath (tether).
Old 19 December 2008, 11:35 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Milamber
No I don't think I do. What I'm talking about is a yellow fluid that physically glues stuff back together, sometime you create too much and that's bad for you, thats why they drain it off.

For instance I've seen it stick skin to the muscle tissue underneath (tether).

like this?
Old 19 December 2008, 11:46 AM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

I still don't think so although I completely acknowledge that I lack the information to be able to categorically say no.

I'm sure a nurse or even a doctor around here may be able to put the record straight.
Old 19 December 2008, 11:47 AM
gaz-cole
Scooby Regular

out of all the ops i have had the only one with a drain fitted when i woke up was my knee op and it hurt alot when it was pulled out
Old 19 December 2008, 12:12 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

I think milamber is talking about fibrin, even though fibrin is not a liquid, it makes up the end stages of the clot as the tissue repairs itself
Old 19 December 2008, 12:23 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
I think milamber is talking about fibrin, even though fibrin is not a liquid, it makes up the end stages of the clot as the tissue repairs itself
which is derived from the platelets
Old 19 December 2008, 12:24 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Well done Google
Old 19 December 2008, 12:30 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Not quite true Kieran..... fibrin is a seperate compound that adheres to the platelet mesh as part of the coagulation (blood clotting) cascade.
Old 19 December 2008, 12:38 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

which is derived from the platelets

is a protein that works in conjunction with platelets

looky here

I still don't think this is the answer to be honest....
Old 19 December 2008, 01:02 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

yes, I know what it is........ but the whole system of tissue repair is called the coagulation cascade (search it).... you will not find a specific name for the yellow liquid, they will simply refer to it as pus or some other generic term

Eg... you have specific liquid formulations such as blood, plasma, sebum, sinovial fluid etc... but I do not think you will get a medical term for the yellow liquid....
Old 19 December 2008, 01:15 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

I had a burst appendix and peritonitis a few years ago, ended up in ICU for 4 weeks. When I came round I was being fed into my neck, could only have sips of water every 2 hours, I couldn't eat properly for about 5 weeks, part of my stomach had been removed and was stitched all the way down the front. I had 3 drains, 1 looked like a long grooved strip of plastic which was inside and behind the stitches and 2 more, 1 each side, which were 10mm plastic tube about 2 feet long full of holes and curled up inside my guts. Each of these had a bag stuck to my skin on the outside. The worst part was having them removed: The tubes in each side which were stitched into my skin were bad enough, initially I thought they were only about an inch or two long, but when they were pulling...and pulling till eventually the nurse had pulled this great length of tube out I nearly passed out. The one behind the stitches had stuck to the wound and the Doctor ended up virtually having a tug o war to remove this, when it finally shifted I thought my insides were being ripped out whole.

Anyway to answer your question the gunk that came out of these drains was f*cking disgusting. Green, red and brown stuff that I'm sure was better out than in. I also had one shoved up my nose and in to my stomach. Every so often this would pump copious amounts of bright green fluid into another bag attached to the side of the bed.

Not much fun I can tell you.
Old 19 December 2008, 01:29 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MMT WRX
I had a burst appendix and peritonitis a few years ago, ended up in ICU for 4 weeks. When I came round I was being fed into my neck, could only have sips of water every 2 hours, I couldn't eat properly for about 5 weeks, part of my stomach had been removed and was stitched all the way down the front. I had 3 drains, 1 looked like a long grooved strip of plastic which was inside and behind the stitches and 2 more, 1 each side, which were 10mm plastic tube about 2 feet long full of holes and curled up inside my guts. Each of these had a bag stuck to my skin on the outside. The worst part was having them removed: The tubes in each side which were stitched into my skin were bad enough, initially I thought they were only about an inch or two long, but when they were pulling...and pulling till eventually the nurse had pulled this great length of tube out I nearly passed out. The one behind the stitches had stuck to the wound and the Doctor ended up virtually having a tug o war to remove this, when it finally shifted I thought my insides were being ripped out whole.

Anyway to answer your question the gunk that came out of these drains was f*cking disgusting. Green, red and brown stuff that I'm sure was better out than in. I also had one shoved up my nose and in to my stomach. Every so often this would pump copious amounts of bright green fluid into another bag attached to the side of the bed.

Not much fun I can tell you.
I'm sexually aroused
Old 19 December 2008, 01:31 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

I can understand that.
Old 19 December 2008, 01:59 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I had a drain after the cancer op, but not after the bypass one or the one to rebuild my hip. Bit of a nuisance but worth the inconvenience to get it all sorted.

Les
Old 19 December 2008, 02:21 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Nearest I can think is the yellow goo that went on to form a scab after you'd lost the skin off your knees .
Old 19 December 2008, 03:33 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you had one fitted, to go with the extractor fan in the back of your jeans ?
Old 19 December 2008, 03:48 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to like tractors......... but now I'm an extractor fan

The "yellow stuff" being mentioned is serum I guess.....google "erythrocyte sedimentation rate" and the "yellow" stuff sits on top of the cellular component of blood.

I've put in a few drains in my (younger) life, usually vacuum drains following surgery for facial trauma, infection or elective surgery. Gets rid of tissue fluid, exudate, and small amounts of blood.

Shaun
Old 19 December 2008, 04:14 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I had two drains after I "broke" my arm a few years ago, I basically snapped my arm in half and had to have internal fixation, the problems was that I had already snapped the arm a couple of years before and the plates that were in there already had caused a lot of muscle damage, so when I came around I had two, one in each side where they had inserted them into the muscle, as above you can only see a bit from the surface, I can honestly say that when they pulled them out of my arm it hurt more than when I snapped my arm in two! it was terrible.
Old 19 December 2008, 06:28 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

like this?

looks like mustard
Old 19 December 2008, 06:36 PM
xdave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
I had two drains after I "broke" my arm a few years ago, I basically snapped my arm in half and had to have internal fixation, the problems was that I had already snapped the arm a couple of years before and the plates that were in there already had caused a lot of muscle damage, so when I came around I had two, one in each side where they had inserted them into the muscle, as above you can only see a bit from the surface, I can honestly say that when they pulled them out of my arm it hurt more than when I snapped my arm in two! it was terrible.
i had a drain in my stomach after my op and yes it hurt when they pulled it out but the cafater hurt a lot more when they pulled that out .