Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any suggestions for a dehumidifier?

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2008, 10:22 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any suggestions for a dehumidifier?

You guys are much better than Google! So here is goes...we need a dehumidifier for our poo poo Coronation Street house the two bedrooms have damp my room is worse than my sons.

I need something relatively small...saw a Mitsubishi on a website for around £300. Needs to be easy to use and quiet.

Any ideas?
Old 01 October 2008, 10:44 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

B&Q it! Not exactly quiet but I bough one for £60-ish last winter, I leave it on at night and when we're both at work and I get 6 litres a day out of it. Helps stop the smell of mushrooms in our lounge.
Old 02 October 2008, 09:47 AM
StratosWRC
Scooby Regular

14L Dehumidifier -half price- £49.99 at Argos - HotUKDeals Forum

Last edited by StratosWRC; 02 October 2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02 October 2008, 10:17 AM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I have one from here in the garage

Dry-it-Out Ltd, Air Conditioning, Air Purifiers, Battery Chargers, Dehumidifiers, Fans & Heaters, Humidifiers, Outdoor Products, Swimming Pool Air Control
Old 02 October 2008, 10:46 AM
Wenker Man
Scooby Regular

What is the ventilation like in those rooms. ?

I had damp problems in my upstairs bedrooms which has found to be a direct result of PVC windows and a pathetic extractor in the (upstairs) bathroom, and probably the insulated loft. All of which prevented fresh airflow through the house.

Leaving the upstairs windows locked on the vent catch during the day whilst out at work and closing them at night, along with fitting one of these for the bathroom extractor ( 160mm In Line Loft Extractor Fan ), pretty much eliminated the problem (still had to redecorate, but it hasn't come back ).
Old 02 October 2008, 11:32 AM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Buy British - Ebac.
Old 02 October 2008, 11:17 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Wenker Man...Camn you give me some more details about what exactly you did...who did you get in to fit the extractor fan and how much mess did it make. The house is rented under housing association and yes no window for the bathroom just the extractor fan.

What do you mean by vent catch?

Flatcapdriver...are Ebac better than Mitsubishi?
Old 03 October 2008, 02:20 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

You need to be a bit careful with which make you buy. Better to check what sort of components are used in side. I had a Mitsubishi once, needed to run it almost continuously for about 2 years. After that the bearing holding the fan wore out, they were the solid type bearing. I now have anoth one made by DeLongi, which has roller/ball bearings throughout and has not missed a single beat since we've had it.

Ventilation is a problem as i live in a "new" apaerment complex. It draws about 4-6l of moisture per day so far which has cured many moisture related issues.
Old 03 October 2008, 06:46 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Make sure you dont have any leaks into the roof space and that the pointing is good on the outside. Then paper the wall with the thin expanded polystyrene you can get from B&Q or Focus etc. then paper over the top with conventional wall paper, worked for us when we had our first (terraced) house.
Old 03 October 2008, 08:46 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

I have this one in the garage keeping it in the right conditions....

X-Dry / XDry Dehumidifier [X-Dry / Xdry / Xdry] - £199.99 : Dry-it-Out Ltd, Air Conditioning, Air Purifiers, Battery Chargers, Dehumidifiers, Fans & Heaters, Humidifiers, Outdoor Products, Swimming Pool Air Control
Old 03 October 2008, 10:13 AM
Wenker Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Aaquil
Wenker Man...Camn you give me some more details about what exactly you did...who did you get in to fit the extractor fan and how much mess did it make. The house is rented under housing association and yes no window for the bathroom just the extractor fan.

What do you mean by vent catch?

Flatcapdriver...are Ebac better than Mitsubishi?
Our PVC windows can lock slightly open. They lock open by half an inch or so, to aid ventilation.

I fitted the fan myself. Orginally there was one of those tiny Marley ducted shower fans like you see in DIY stores which was utterly useless, just made noise but barely moved any air.

I replaced this with a much more powerful and much quieter fan unit as per the link. It draws air out the bathroom through a 5" hole cut in the ceiling with a grill, it runs through 5" flexible ducting to the fan in the attic, then more 5" ducting to a 5" hole cut in the eaves of the roof, finished with a grill. Power is tapped off the bathroom light switch via a fused spur switch and a timer set to about 15mins.

There are some calculations that can be done to work out needed airflow for a room based on room size and useage. I don't have it to hand (I found it on google anyway), but the old shower fan was rated at 50m3/hr, where my calculations showed I needed at least 300m3/hr of airflow. Proving that these small fans found in most household bathrooms are totally unsuitable.