ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alfred Sargent for me
Old 19 August 2008, 12:21 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Yes - wearing a pair now but that is partly because I have mamootish feet that means I cannot buy shoes in a normal shop.

Cue jokes about the size of my todger (massive), socks (normal size, but they do not come as far up my legs as other people's do), not needing canoe/kayak/boat/surfboard/yacht/tanker/skis etc

Very good quality and seem to last - and come with their own shoe shapers, a bag for each shoe (ah bless!) and decent delivery.

Only issue is that if they are out of stock you can end up waiting months for them to come back in so be warned.

And they frequently do deals - two pairs for £100 I was paying until I say a deal for 2 for £80 - got my order changed and then the price changed again to £60, which I also got changed. For me and my massive plates of meat, lovely...

Andy
Old 19 August 2008, 12:41 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Yep I'm wearing a pair now.

Very comfy. But they are now falling apart and will be binned this weekend. They lasted just short of two years but to be honest the last few months they've really gone down hill, the sole is coming apart and the stiching is coming out.

Emailed them last week as they do say they last a lifetime but only have a 12 month guarantee. No joy, was told nothing they can do.

Personally I won't buy from them again anytime soon as I think you can get better shoes for that money.

I also got another pair at the same time and despite both pairs being the same size ordered one pair is a lot bigger and not so comfortable.
Old 19 August 2008, 12:54 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
No, i get mine from Church's factory shop in Northampton
If the question is shoes then the answer is Church's...
Old 20 August 2008, 08:21 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Tried them(SW),thought why not.Thoroughly unimpressed in every way.

Gone back to Loakes.
Old 20 August 2008, 12:58 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
Churchs are good, on a level with Barker, Loake, Crocket and Jones and Cheaneys which are all fantastically well made and well lasting beautiful shoes.

Trickers are a little better and John Lobb / Edward Green the undoubtedly best shoe makers in the world.

I've never owned a pair of shoes since being about 16 that weren't made by one of the above and have about 25 pairs now
Church make cheaney, althought not quite to the same standards, goodyear welts etc.

I was in their factory watching them being made not so long ago. Its nice to see so much work that goes into a pair.

They also make a few more brands, but cant remember them off the top of my head.
Old 20 August 2008, 01:06 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fitzscoob
Church make cheaney, althought not quite to the same standards, goodyear welts etc.

I was in their factory watching them being made not so long ago. Its nice to see so much work that goes into a pair.

They also make a few more brands, but cant remember them off the top of my head.
Churchs Shoes was brought a few years back by an Italian or French copany, canot remember who so they have access to all sorts now.

I have had many, many pairs of Church's Shoes, still have most of them haviing been resoled and healed.
Old 20 August 2008, 01:10 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Churchs Shoes was brought a few years back by an Italian or French copany, canot remember who so they have access to all sorts now.

I have had many, many pairs of Church's Shoes, still have most of them haviing been resoled and healed.
Churchs are owned by Prada now. However a Church family member is still on site.

They do offer a superb facility to refurbish shoes. Did you ever see them do that Paul? Very skilled craftsmen and women there, and they can turn a tired pair into a superb pair. You almost get a brand new pair in return.

However my friend there did stitch me up whilst being there and led me into the humidifying room. Not much fun in there lol.
Old 20 August 2008, 01:21 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by fitzscoob
Churchs are owned by Prada now. However a Church family member is still on site.

They do offer a superb facility to refurbish shoes. Did you ever see them do that Paul? Very skilled craftsmen and women there, and they can turn a tired pair into a superb pair. You almost get a brand new pair in return.

However my friend there did stitch me up whilst being there and led me into the humidifying room. Not much fun in there lol.

Hi there,

Blimey, yes it is Prada and i do remember being told s while back. I am always impressed with thier range.

One of Jenny's family manages the factory shop so i get a 'family' discount on purchases, repairs and refurbs which all helps

I have had one pair of winter boots since 1994 which are coming up for thier second/third resole and still going strong, same for a pair of black brogues.

Never been round the factory and now you mention it i would like to see how it all works.

Last edited by The Zohan; 20 August 2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 20 August 2008, 02:25 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Hi there,

Blimey, yes it is Prada and i do remember being told s while back. I am always impressed with thier range.

One of Jenny's family manages the factory shop so i get a 'family' discount on purchases, repairs and refurbs which all helps

I have had one pair of winter boots since 1994 which are coming up for thier second/third resole and still going strong, same for a pair of black brogues.

Never been round the factory and now you mention it i would like to see how it all works.
Their factory is vast to say the least. I went there on a business meeting with one of the designers as I am starting to produce some bespoke leather work for them - not shoes - corporate items etc.

Part of the meeting was a tour around their factory, which takes well over an hour if you dont stop to look around!

Having your own family business in a similar trade always makes me appreciate the skill and effort that goes into this sort of work.