Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Saw an unsettling incident today...

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2008, 08:15 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saw an unsettling incident today...

Waiting at the traffic lights near Southampton Station to carry on down towards West Quay, and while waiting saw something that could have been much much worse...

A coach that was first in the queue at some nearby traffic lights moved forwards and then stopped. The driver jumped out and was peering under the front of the coach. Then we saw a hand reaching out from under the front...

Although we didn't see the actual collision unfold, it appears that a pedestrian had crossed just in front of the coach, maybe below the eyeline of the driver, and had been run over. Luckily the coach had stopped before the wheels reached the person.

Although being run over by a coach is probably rather unlucky, in one sense they were very lucky indeed, having been pushed over and covered by the long front overhang but apparently not seriously injured. I took the waving of their hand to indicate that they weren't dead.

Our side of the traffic moved on so I didn't see what happened next. I'd like to think they were actually unharmed, apart from possibly needing new underpants...
Old 03 August 2008, 08:31 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

that is bad but its an epic bus driver fail :P
Old 03 August 2008, 08:39 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ricardo
I took the waving of their hand to indicate that they weren't dead.
Yep, I'd agree, that was a huge clue.
Old 03 August 2008, 08:49 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

unless it was the very last twitch of life?
Old 03 August 2008, 08:50 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by ricardo
The driver jumped out and was peering under the front of the coach. Then we saw a hand reaching out from under the front...
I initially read that as.. The driver jumped out and was peeing under the front of the coach. Then we saw a hand reaching out from under the front...

Oops
Old 03 August 2008, 08:53 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

It looked more like a sort of 'help, I'm under your bus - please don't drive it' sort of wave, not really a twitch
Old 03 August 2008, 08:57 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

You could've at least stopped to film it on your mobile
Old 03 August 2008, 08:59 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
unless it was the very last twitch of life?
A wave isn't a twitch.
Old 03 August 2008, 09:11 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Had a courier run over by a truck in Fleet Street - dragged him 200 yds down the road with the poor ****** holding onto the bumper before he was flagged down and stopped. Cuts n bruises only thank goodness.
Old 03 August 2008, 11:17 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04 August 2008, 01:34 AM
GavinE
Scooby Regular

Maybe the person was waving and jeering him on, go on i dare you to run me over.

Or does that only happen on the weekends at around 2-3am
Old 04 August 2008, 09:25 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GavinE
Maybe the person was waving and jeering him on, go on i dare you to run me over.

Or does that only happen on the weekends at around 2-3am
i thought hollywoods had closed?
Old 04 August 2008, 09:28 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

happened in York a couple of years ago, but no suprise - tourists think they're invincible away from home, and wonder backwards onto busy street to take a photo of a building
Old 04 August 2008, 09:33 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

stupid pedestrian

they should spend some time in central london. taxis take no prisoners and you certainly learn to read the traffic a lot more.
Old 04 August 2008, 11:48 AM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

What is it with the word "fail" and why are people suddenly using it as a keyword?

Nick
Old 04 August 2008, 12:40 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Must admit, when driving buses/coaches/trucks its very easy to hit a pedestrian on the nearside. Due to the width and high height you physically have to turn your head to the left and look down to check if anyone is there.

Its why in the US, their school buses are now covered with blind spot mirrors sticking everywhere to make sure nobody is there.

I honestly think that more education on behalf of pedestrian needs to be given to ensure that they don't put themselves in harms way (same with cyclists, motorcyclists and even cars toying with HGV's blind spots). Simply put, if you cannot see the driver make direct eye contact with you, he/she hasn't seen you, and one should take the nessercery caution as such.

Last edited by Shark Man; 04 August 2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04 August 2008, 12:53 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
I honestly think that more education on behalf of pedestrian needs to be given to ensure that they don't put themselves in harms way (same with cyclists, motorcyclists and even cars toying with HGVs). Simply put, if you cannot see the driver make direct eye contact with you, he/she hasn't seen you, and one should take the nessercery caution as such.
Absolutely agree.

This happens everywhere with ignorant, uneducated and largely stupid people. The supermarkets is a prime example. Why don't pedestrians allow cars to park or exit car spaces? I can remember when people did that, you know, just stop and even make eye contact with the driver and allow them to reverse out easily.

Not now, people dare not gain eye contact and continue to walk between a parked car and a reversing car, sometimes with inches to spare! It beggers belief. If it was a 'dare challenge' that was set-up by a team and the possible dangers were explained to them then I'm sure they bottle out doing it. However, the freely walk about like it on a daily basis, totally oblivious to the danger.
Old 04 August 2008, 12:58 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

I saw a similar kind of thing a few years ago wile i was in my local city centre. I was standing with a friend who was using a cash point.

There was a bit shouting so we turned round too see a bloke legging it down the road being pursued by 3 security guards. He ran passed us, then when he got a bit further down the street he decided too cross the road.

Being nosey too see if they caught him every 1 was watching, he ran straight out infront of a bus. The bus wasnt travelling particually fast, but the bloke was out of it laying in the middle of the road infront of it.
Old 04 August 2008, 01:40 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Absolutely agree.

This happens everywhere with ignorant, uneducated and largely stupid people. The supermarkets is a prime example. Why don't pedestrians allow cars to park or exit car spaces? I can remember when people did that, you know, just stop and even make eye contact with the driver and allow them to reverse out easily.

Not now, people dare not gain eye contact and continue to walk between a parked car and a reversing car, sometimes with inches to spare! It beggers belief. If it was a 'dare challenge' that was set-up by a team and the possible dangers were explained to them then I'm sure they bottle out doing it. However, the freely walk about like it on a daily basis, totally oblivious to the danger.

I think we've all been there. And they even do it behind a reversing van. What goes through their minds "oh a van with no windows parallel parking, I'll cross right behind it just when its 2ft away from the car behind it". And there's me as the driver, who happens to catch a very brief glimps of a shopping bag in the one mirror thinking "yes dear, you do that and I'll carry on and crush your legs against the car behind me "

I honestly think maybe the law should be changed so that right of way is given in order to the size of the vehicle and its blind spots. Not that it would stop the Darwin awards contendants. But at least if I happen be driving a HGV and inadvertantly (and unknowingly) collect a cyclist darting up my nearside blindspot as I'm indicating and turning left I wouldn't held responsible for their actions.

I often collect "enthusiastic" mountain bikers who are "in the zone" along a bridle path that crosses the drive entrance to my parent's house. All I see is whats directly behind me, nothing else (hedgerows/wall either side). They see the boot of a car, reversing. What do they do? Run the gauntlet, somtimes losing, bottling it, and falling off in the process. And if its the latter I get a hurl of abuse for reversing cautiously at 1mph off a drive, blind, and getting nearly rammed by a bike travelling inconsiderately at 20mph who could full well see the car reversing, and it being obvious that they cannot make eye contact with the driver - and hence the driver cannot and will not see them and therfore will continue to reverse - yet they fail to acknowledge that. Something of which I remind the more vocal variety of (as well as the fact that horse riders and considerate cyclists don't feel the need to travel at 20+mph down there).

Last edited by Shark Man; 04 August 2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04 August 2008, 01:49 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skoobidude
What is it with the word "fail" and why are people suddenly using it as a keyword?

Nick
Maybe people think it's cool. Similar having 'BANNED' under a username
Old 04 August 2008, 01:53 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Yes ive had someone walk right behind me when reversing then bang on the side of the van, and i got out and said sorry .

Tell you what does wind me up, this slow cocky gangster walk young ******* do when crossing the road,
i drop down a gear and speed up.
Old 04 August 2008, 01:59 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by ChefDude
stupid pedestrian

they should spend some time in central london. taxis take no prisoners and you certainly learn to read the traffic a lot more.
London is terrifying if you aren't a local. I was staying there for a week (training course) and I really had to be awake to even cross one street.

Very very scary if you aren't used to the sheer number of stop-for-nothing types on the road.

I learnt very quickly not to cross anywhere near a crossroads (with or without traffic lights) as you have no idea where something is going to appear from - and don't bother reading the lights - way too many idiot cyclists (and this FROM a cyclist)... plus the traffic light grand prix gives you little time between changes
Old 04 August 2008, 04:59 PM
Jeem
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate

Tell you what does wind me up, this slow cocky gangster walk young ******* do when crossing the road,
i drop down a gear and speed up.
I do that helps with a loud exhaust then they move quickly. I mind seen 2 boys doing with a gangster walk across a mini round-bout not realising a car coming from behind them would have to drive infront of them so it did, right over hard boys foot. Wasnt much of a gangester walk after that more like a gangester hop.
Old 04 August 2008, 05:26 PM
urdad
Scooby Regular

Perhaps the under bus passenger was trying to tender the correct fare which is the norm nowdays and in fact the waving was to gesticulate that the financial payment was available in hand and....well you know what I mean....
Old 04 August 2008, 09:15 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jeem
I do that helps with a loud exhaust then they move quickly. I mind seen 2 boys doing with a gangster walk across a mini round-bout not realising a car coming from behind them would have to drive infront of them so it did, right over hard boys foot. Wasnt much of a gangester walk after that more like a gangester hop.
Was it a hip hop?

Off to the cloakroom for me....
Old 05 August 2008, 12:40 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Wink

Originally Posted by jjones