Westie's day @Oulton ;-)

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2001, 10:17 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink

Seem as though Puff has his own section, sod it, I want one too.

Arrived at Oulton about 8.15 left home at 7.45 (including a fuel stop)
Absolutely froze to death on the way over and nearly stuffed it on the link road from the A49 to the circuit entrance, had wheelspin in 5th over a crest on black ice, that woke me up!

Expected a long wait once at the track, trying to park was fun, my tyres and Ice don’t mix at all.

Once the track action was up and running, I used the sighting laps to finish bedding my new rear disks and pads I installed friday night, they felt pretty awful though, no bite at all, I use more rear brakes than you would think.

First proper session out and I had a new experience for me, a lotus Elise who was as quick, pleasant surprise that. My brakes were still awful so I was no where near pushing the car. I also found the track pretty dangerous in places, I was getting wheelspin on the top of all the small crests on the straights and my brakes were totally inconsistent, locking the fronts on occasion. I gave up in the end and came into the pits as my pedal was now going to the floor and I was getting pulsing in the pedal.

I had a look at the rears and to my horror my brand new disks were grooved to hell and the pads were down to the metal, from brand new to nothing left in less than 15 minutes on track, unbelievable. Don’t think I will be using those again!

I was kinda hoping they would last all day so I only had a standard spare set with me, to get me home. Oops!
ChrisB then took me for a run out to get some new pads from Tweeks, on the way out I remembered a motorsport shop just up the road from Oulton at Kelsall called Autoquip UK. I used to compete in their stage rally championship back in the late 80’s, to my amazement the place was still exactly as it was in 89. I managed to pick up some seriously race only pads that you cant buy anymore, they have prob been on the shelf since 89 result!

Got back to the track and installed the new pads just in time for the end of the lunch break, great news the full track was open now, Island bend is awesome, takes some guts to take that flat. It took a couple of laps to bed my new pads in, the pulsing went away as the pads took the chunks of steel off the surface that my original pads had left behind. We are talking rock hard race pads, 80’s styleeee

I cant remember how many runs I did or who was sat with me, track days are always a blur re who was with me when, once on track I forget who is in the car and just concentrate on the circuit. I loved lodge corner, it was a huge laugh for my car trying to stop the rear from spinning, I was hitting the limiter in 3rd just before the crest of dears leap and by the braking point for old hall I was doing about 120 I think.

Old hall was quite tricky when wet, lots of understeer on exit but once dry it was awesome. From a racing point of view what I was doing there was probably hopeless, but from the grin perspective it was spot on, haven’t had my tyres squealing that much through a corner ever, complete hooligan style, huge fun.

Loved the downhill kink in the avenue, by mid afternoon I had cascades pretty sussed, absolutely flat from the apex to exit. I was quite cautious at first through there, as that’s another corner like lodge that spins you to the inside into the barriers backwards if you get it very wrong. Once I was happy with my brakes and the grip I could use that exit speed to pass very easily down lakeside.

Entry into Island I found a little frustrating, I couldn’t kill the understeer all day on the first ¼ of the corner, not sure why? But after ¼ way in to island it was flat in 4th to the braking point for shell oils hairpin, great corner. Seems a few went off on the outside of island, all I can say is lucky buggers, coming off at island usually means a write off.

The run out of shell and into foulstons chicane was a laugh, quite a fast turning braking point for the chicane. I had the car quite unsettled into the chicane on a number of occasions, taking the exit in 2nd then hitting 3rd at the left clipping point and drifting out to the right rumble strips with the tyres lit up was a great feeling. Its dead easy to power slide on that sort of exit, uphill and wide smooth line, great fun.

Braking into **** chicane (Knickerbrook) was a pain, I hate that chicane, it ruins the flow of an otherwise fast circuit. Half the time I used 2nd then 3rd on exit, others I used 3rd all the way through, either way never felt quite right and always resulted in wheelspin on the exit, very frustrating chicane, I hate it.

The run over the top of Clay Hill was great, full throttle over a blind crest that turns left is a huge thrill every time, without the marshall being there to warn me if the track was blocked I wouldn’t dream of doing that, I seemed to catch up to the Subaru’s very quickly in that section in particular, its quite a steep climb and my power/weight advantage really showed up with my speed over the crest, I lost count of the number of cars I caught incredibly quickly in that section.

Druids is great, my car was really nice to slide through the double apex, the exit just tightens slightly at the rumble strips and is over a slight crest, in my car being low I couldn’t see the exit curbs until I was committed to the line, so the exit tended to concentrate the mind some what.

The two small crests in the straight between druids and lodge had me spinning the wheels all day, made it a little twitchy but big fun. Then its braking and turn in for lodge again to start the mad run all over again. Love the track, shame about Knickerbrook.

I was running down on boost again all day, seeing 1.3Bar roughly, this is deliberate until I get my charge temps under control, then I will wap the boost back up to 1.8Bar and start to get some real speed out of the car. Unfortunately I snapped yet again my actuator; I am going to redesign that so it doesn’t happen again, wasting too much track time with a silly problem. So I had to do a few bodges as I didn’t have a spare with me. This meant my last few runs were even lower on power running just 1Bar boost.

I still had a huge laugh though, I just didnt brake so much and kept the speed up in the corners to compensate for the lack of power.

It was great to meet everyone again; I really enjoy giving people a run in the car as it’s very different to being in a normal road car and always makes an impression. It is a very raw car, which means you can feel everything going on, being open top and low adds to the sensation of speed.

If you ever fancy having a run, just come say hello, I’ll try and fit you in. Come say hello anyway, its always good to put faces to names.

Thanks to Stef, Rob and the organisers/marshals etc, shame about the incidents but in the whole a great day with good company. When is the next Oulton because I love that circuit?
Old 28 January 2001, 10:33 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Anyone who has never been in John's car, take him up on his offer. You will never want to go to Alton Towers again !!

John, one day you will finish a trackday with everything working matey

DJ
Old 29 January 2001, 02:36 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

Never going to happen John, i have a reputation to keep.
Old 29 January 2001, 03:25 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Great review of your day John.

Ever thought of being a journo ?
Old 29 January 2001, 04:27 PM
Andrew Timmins
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi John,
I was with you for the first session after you put the new brake pads in. Acceleration is much more of a thrill than speed in my opinion so I thought your car was even more impresive at Oulton Park than Donnington.

Even though you don't like it I thought Knickerbrook was one of the highlights of the lap as a passenger. Brake hard, turn right then quick left, accelerate briefly, quick change up to third then turn right and drift left onto the kerb and up the hill.

The standard of driving did seem to be lower than the track days at Donnington, perhaps this is because Oulton is a much more technical circuit and the less experienced drivers can't concentrate on traffic as well as the circuit. I realy wouldn't like my first track drive to be Oulton park, too many blind bends and crests.

Anyone who fancies being frightened in a safe kind of way should do a few laps with John. My Impreza seems like a pedal car with no brakes now(as opposed to a two litre turbo with no brakes ).

Enjoy Canada John, see you later in the year.

All the best.

Andrew
Old 29 January 2001, 04:27 PM
PaulFisher
Scooby Regular

I hung around the car for a while, but missed you!

never mind, theres always next time...

:-)

Paul F.
///M5 (Overtaken by you quite rapidly!)
Old 29 January 2001, 08:04 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

sorry i missed you paul, probably out hunting for new pads at the time.

I wouldnt mind a job on EVO, thats for sure. <B>HINT</B> LOL

I'll probably bore you all to death with my Canada Rally report, you have 2 weeks advanced warning though to get your supplies in for the read, eh richard
Old 29 January 2001, 08:06 PM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

I dread to think how long the Canada report will be

Simon... I suggest you buy some extra disk space for the server, mate

Richard
Old 29 January 2001, 08:48 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The viewpoint of a passenger, copied from my thanks for the Oulton Day post.

John took me out in his not 100% healthy Westfield, nothing seriously wrong, but a little bit down on power, like I could tell .

I have to admit, as he accelerated very briskly down the pit lane, it frightened me.

The thought oh S**t what have I let myself in for flashed through my mind, will I ever see my kids again etc.

But once we were on the circuit, and I had accustomed myself to the awsome abilitiy of the car, and it has to be said the calm competence of the driver, it stopped being frightening.

The car appears to convey every nuance of its ability to the driver, and even as a passenger, I could feel how well balanced the car was.
As we went round the fast corners like the long left hander going up towards the lake (Cascades), after the drop donhill,I found myself pushing the imaginary throttle pedal on my side, as John was pushing the real pedal on his side, drifting the car out to the edge of the track, and steering with the throttle.

Usually when I find myself as a passenger, being driven quickly, I am pressing my imaginary brake pedal, for all its worth, but not this time.

It was without doubt unlike ANY road car I have ever been in, and was completely intoxicating.
It would make a hooligan out of a nun, (no disrespect to members of the cloth).
As I said to John as we came back into the pits, the most fun you can have without getting your kit off.

I'm still buzzing, need to find the Prozac.

John read your E-Mail, I had an idea about your acctuator rod problem.

Cheers MTR

Old 29 January 2001, 11:23 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Glad you enjoyed the run so much martin, it was good to finaly have a chat in person. I think you need that prozac 24/7 though, they dont call you motormouth for nothing.

I think you are the only person to try and carry out a conversation with me whilst in an open car, doing 100MPH mid corner sideways, i cant hear a damn thing once on track. LOL

Yep, read your mail thanks, i am going to try and make the mod not require any radiusing, but if i find that is the only option then it is a good idea. I'll let you know what i come up with.
Old 30 January 2001, 09:48 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Thanks for the ride John. My known car perameters are suitably adjusted now.

Paul, thanks for the advice - I survived the day but you still owe me a ride, where did you go?

F
Old 01 February 2001, 06:16 PM
tut
Scooby Regular

Hi John

Spoke to you on Saturday, but did not know your name until John Stewart put me straight. As I had never been on a track before other than Knockhill, I was a bit apprehensive at first, but I was fortunate in following you out on the first session, and being able to stay behind you and learn the course and lines at the same time.

Loved the circuit and cant wait to get back there again. Got through two tanks of fuel, and spent most of the time on the track, with just the overheating problem in the late afternoon. Turned out that my ECU was programmed to turn the fan on at 7000rpm, and not at a water temperature.

John tells me you may be coming to Knockhill on March 17th, so hopefully see you then.

Cheers

tut (blue Elise N1 TUT)
Old 01 February 2001, 07:22 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Hi tut,

Was good chatting during the day, even if you didnt know who too, happens to me a lot. LOL

Very impressed with your driving by the way, I am not so sure my lines were that good in the first session, i was fighting the brakes quite a lot, but it was good to see an elise being driven well.

Yep, i plan on being at knockhill, sending my form to john tomorrow.

I havnt been to knockhill since 95 so should be quite interesting learning the circuit, should suit my car well i think.

Who programmed the ECU for you? They dont sell uprated radiators or melted K series parts do they?

See you at knockhill, i may follow you in that first session this time.
Old 01 February 2001, 09:22 PM
PaulFisher
Scooby Regular

Floyd,

Sorry I missed you! to be honest my car was leaking so much oil I only went out for 3 sessions before the smoke started to look quite worrying - people were approaching me saying "Would you like to borrow a fire extinuisher?"

also the rear brakes and disks were shot (Rusty rear disks, not much pad), the front pads were gone after the second time out, and there was the oil smoke 007 smoke screen.

I must admit, I thought I'd get rid of the last remnants of disk and pad that were left, but the car just didn't feel solid, If I had the same day again, I'd make sure everything was tip-top for the track, rather than thinking "Oh It'll need replacing after, may aswell us them up on the track day" Won't make that mistake again!

So, my M5 now has new rear disks, pads, front pads, two oil leaks fixed, and hydraulic brake fluid bled off and replaced (It was really spongy!), plus a full level 2 service and two new rear tyres on the way (Phew) = ready to roll!

Paul
///M'ster
Old 01 February 2001, 09:29 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>ready to roll!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

for gods sake dont say that after oulton!