Sponsored by:

A word of warning..please be careful out there

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2001, 01:28 PM
NikB
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Just thought I'd share an incident that happened to me last night. Unfortunately I had to attend the Oldham a&e for treatment to a broken finger sustained as the result of a sporting accident.

Anyway to cut a long story short, I arrive at 15:30 and am still sat waiting at 21:00 (low priority injury, had to wait due to a massive influx of people involved in RTA. I decide I'd better let the missus know where I am so make my way across the car park to get mobile from car (hospital phone out of order).

As I'm walking back I feel someone grab me from behind, I turn to see two scally's, bobble hats, scarfs around faces, who then demand keys for the Scoob.

First reaction is to give them the keys, but then, in a split second, having unconsiously weighed up the opposition, god knows what I was thinking but I planted a punch on the nearest one (with bad hand), who falls onto his backside. I immediately turn, and run towards the hospital lights unfortunately slipping and diving full length along the pavement, as I slide along on my hands and knees I manage to turn onto my back ready to reap the repercussions of my action. Luckily the two were running in the opposite direction at some pace to say the least!

Reported the incident to security who have footage of me swinging the punch and performing the swan dive but can't identify the culprits.

I now am in possession of a broken finger, scabby knees, elbows and a grazed chin, not to mention a shredded suit (thank god it was a Debenhams cheapy!)

In summary:
Please be careful out there guys & gals, I'm seriously now considering my future with the scoob, although I didn't sustain to much damage personally, since the incident I can't get the "what if they'd have........" scenario out of my mind,sleeping doesn't come easy. My own, my wifes and my two year old sons welfare has to take precedence over any car.
Old 18 July 2001, 02:21 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Theiving low life scumbags, shame they never got run over by an ambulance

If youre that worried Nik, install an anti hijack device, just give them the keys next time, wait for them to drive off then remotely power down and switch engine off. Im sure I have read of such devices.....
Old 18 July 2001, 02:26 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that Nik, and good to hear that they were just chancers. Sounds like there's two sorts of turds out there: ones which will back down when challenged, and others, as met by PTMW!s colleague, who will make life difficult.

Clifford Blackjax is the thing, but it sounds like this was just two lads chancing their arm. Stupid ***** - congrats for smacking one.
Old 18 July 2001, 02:29 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Well done Nik!

Jza
Old 18 July 2001, 02:37 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Angry

Firstly, well done for standing up to these two scum. Secondly, you are lucky that these two were also cowardly scum. It could have turned out a lot worse. Having said that, I suspect I would have acted in a similar way, the only difference being I would have lumped the other toe-rag as well.

As you said, be careful out there, and don't take unnecessary risks. The car can be replaced. Even if it is a huge inconvenience, it's better than being dead or seriously injured. (yes I am a hypocrite)

Although I understand you're evaluating your Scoob ownership, these incidents are rare (despite the recent incidents highlighted on this BBS alone). You are far more likely to be injured in the home, or through a car accident. In fact, statistically, you (NikB) are less likely to be car-jacked than the rest of us, because it has already been attempted on you. Sleep safe, and next time, hand over the keys.

Andy.b (our newly registered traffic officer), do you have any suggestions on how to handle a situation like this? Any advice would be very welcome.

While we're (I'm) on the subject, I do most of my Scoob driving around Central London, and have got into the habit of locking the doors. Although it will make it more difficult for people to get me out of the car in an emergency where I'm unconscious, I'm prepared to take the risk.
Old 18 July 2001, 02:43 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jerome:
<B>In fact, statistically, you (NikB) are less likely to be car-jacked than the rest of us, because it has already been attempted on you. [/quote]

I agree with the sentiment, but unfortunately this statement is wrong. Past events cannot influence future events -- although the chance of rolling a 6 six times on a dice is vanishingly small, having rolled five 6s the chance of rolling another is still 1 in 6.

Somebody once quoted me a good example of this. If you want to be sure there isn't a bomb on an aircraft you're about to board, take your own on. The chance of there being <B>two</B> bombs is vanishingly small

On another note, some alarms (notably Clifford) can be configured to lock the doors every time you start up.

Old 18 July 2001, 02:47 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

...and, happily, the Sigma M30 can do the same - see the thread in Security for instructions on how to do this.
Old 18 July 2001, 02:51 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Carl,

Although I can't fault you logic, if you won the jackpot on the lottery it would be extremely unlikely you would win again, despite have the same chances as everyone else...
Old 18 July 2001, 02:59 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Jerome, nope chances of winning it are still 1 in 14,000,000-odd every time you play. They're completely independent events. As is being rolled for your car keys.
Old 18 July 2001, 03:17 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

And for anyone with an Autowatch 160 RLi, it too can be set to lock the doors on ignition on, though off the top of my head I don't have the code, but can find it if anyone is interested.
Old 18 July 2001, 03:45 PM
Trouser
Scooby Regular

Although i am not a violent man..... Well done for dropping one son!!!!

Hope the injuries mend real soon!!

Cheers

Trouser
Old 18 July 2001, 03:57 PM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

A man was dragged out of his Subaru on Dale St in the city centre of Manchester, beaten with an iron bar and the car taken. Hence looking at getting rid now myself as my wife is pregnant and life has so much more to offer now.

Darren.
Old 18 July 2001, 04:02 PM
Scooby Doc
Scooby Regular

Darren

Your wife is pregnant - surely life won't offer quite so much for the next 9 months

Congrats and do keep the scoob - you'll need the backdoors and as they say on crimewatch...

Nik

Well done M8

Martin
Old 18 July 2001, 04:42 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Angry

Nik. Kudos dude. I am always advising people to just walk of and not stand up to people, purely because there is so much scum in the world.

You should of said something to the other one like "Right you dirty little nothern monkey (I love notherners as I am one in fact so no flaming) I am now going to give you the hiding of your life and shove your teeth so far down your throat that you will have to stick your colgate actibrush up your **** to brush em". It would of been quiet funny to see him run off. Least you planted the other one square on with a good jab, it does take the right technique to drop someone to their ****, as you found out when you ran off

Scoob owners 1-******* 0.

Old 18 July 2001, 06:31 PM
jimi
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well done mate!

I am proud that you held up for your self.

Sorry that you did get hurt,nothing to serious i hope.

Take care,
JIM
Old 18 July 2001, 06:40 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

While we are scaring the **** out of each other ...... does anyone have any idea as to whether these incidents affect the 'Boring' 5-door ... or is it all saloons they go for??

Pete
Old 18 July 2001, 06:43 PM
Luke
BANNED

A "DEBENHAMS "SUIT???????????
Straight to the "Muppet"section!!!!
Old 18 July 2001, 06:48 PM
skipjack
Scooby Regular

well done m8 - chancey but i'd like to hope i'd have done the same thing were it me. hope you broke the to55er's jaw.

police please note: this is self-defence and protecting one's own property and does not constitute an act of ABH