Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

U.N. hits out at UK "anti-terror" laws - Yeah right!

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2008, 10:04 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry U.N. hits out at UK "anti-terror" laws - Yeah right!

U.N. hits out at UK "anti-terror" laws - Yahoo! News UK

GENEVA (Reuters) - The United Nations human rights committee said on Thursday Britain should ease back on tough "anti-terror" measures and take firm action to combat "negative public attitudes" towards Muslims.

Perhaps the UN should keep their noses out and moths shut after the massacres committed against Muslims in Bosnia.

UN council, unable to make up its mind op or vote together dithered and just had its soldiers stood by whilst men, women, children and babies where murdered - the UN let it happen - only Clinton had the nuts to do anything.

UN - **** off!
Old 24 July 2008, 10:38 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Top rant Paul
Old 24 July 2008, 11:16 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well, bunch of mealy mouthed assclowns could do so much good if it had ***** and the courage to do the right thing when it really counted
Old 24 July 2008, 11:31 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Personally I'd also be tempted to blame the ever-courageous Dutch for what happened in Srebrenica though. Their own report blamed the UN too of course.

Dutchbat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 24 July 2008, 11:38 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood

GENEVA (Reuters) - The United Nations human rights committee said on Thursday Britain should ease back on tough "anti-terror" measures and take firm action to combat "negative public attitudes" towards Muslims.

Perhaps the UN should keep their noses out and moths shut after the massacres committed against Muslims in Bosnia.

UN council, unable to make up its mind op or vote together dithered and just had its soldiers stood by whilst men, women, children and babies where murdered - the UN let it happen - only Clinton had the nuts to do anything.

UN - **** off!

Paul: you ARE an angry old man!
Old 25 July 2008, 08:48 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having read the article, I would have to say it all looks reasonable.
It does beg the question as to whether the current legisaltion/hysteria is more likey to have the effect of preventing terrorism or indeed causing it?
Just my thoughts though.
Interesting to note of course, the massacres in Srebrenica were perpertrated in the main against muslims by christian nationalists.
Old 25 July 2008, 09:33 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Paul: you ARE an angry old man!

LOL!
Oi, Less of the old!
Old 25 July 2008, 09:44 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

The Dutch did blame the UN.... but if you speak to the average Dutchie they will openly admit that they let it happen...
Old 25 July 2008, 09:48 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
Having read the article, I would have to say it all looks reasonable.
It does beg the question as to whether the current legisaltion/hysteria is more likey to have the effect of preventing terrorism or indeed causing it?
Just my thoughts though.
Interesting to note of course, the massacres in Srebrenica were perpertrated in the main against muslims by christian nationalists.
I agree awith you reagrds causing more problems althjough i do object to the UK sticking it oar in when the un let what happend happen in Bosnia.

I do not remember the surrounding Muslims ststes getng involved or going after the Christion Fundamentalists/perpetraitors during or afterwards either.
Old 25 July 2008, 09:50 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Aren't the UN security council and the UN human rights commitee two seperate bodies?

And in any event is a decision (not) made 15 years ago a genuine reason to beleive they should not be allowed to comment in the UKs increasingly draconian terror laws?
Old 25 July 2008, 11:41 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Aren't the UN security council and the UN human rights commitee two seperate bodies?

And in any event is a decision (not) made 15 years ago a genuine reason to beleive they should not be allowed to comment in the UKs increasingly draconian terror laws?
Despite our laws being dracoinian they (UN) have little right to stick their noses into this - if they cannot stop or impede the slaughter of some 20,000 muslim men, women and children then i for one do not belive they have the right to interfere here!
Old 25 July 2008, 12:00 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

UN - **** off!

Only Clinton had the 'nuts' to do it? only because Blair forced him into it.

Paul, were you not bemoaning our tough anti-terror laws on an earlier thread
Old 25 July 2008, 12:09 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Only Clinton had the 'nuts' to do it? only because Blair forced him into it.

Paul, were you not bemoaning our tough anti-terror laws on an earlier thread
Clinton pressed the button, ultimately had the nuts to do so.

I blow hot and cold on this as i can see both sides, mostly i feel that without proof then it seems like another recruiting sergeant for the extremists.

I would see any terrorists as traitors and hang them - once they have been forced to suck a pigs dick and the video put on Al Jazeira as a waring to others.
Old 25 July 2008, 12:20 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Despite our laws being dracoinian they (UN) have little right to stick their noses into this - if they cannot stop or impede the slaughter of some 20,000 muslim men, women and children then i for one do not belive they have the right to interfere here!
I kind of agree with Paul on this one, the UN has a track record of serial failure when it comes to genuinely protecting the human rights of the innocient, look at Dafur, the Congo, Zimbabwe (where the UN recently rejected sanctions) and of course the genocide in Rwanda.

Britain has in the past been a disproportionate contributor to the UN both in terms of cash and action.

Time for some real reforms in the failed institution
Old 25 July 2008, 12:34 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
I kind of agree with Paul on this one, the UN has a track record of serial failure when it comes to genuinely protecting the human rights of the innocient, look at Dafur, the Congo, Zimbabwe (where the UN recently rejected sanctions) and of course the genocide in Rwanda.

Britain has in the past been a disproportionate contributor to the UN both in terms of cash and action.

Time for some real reforms in the failed institution
Pretty much my feelings as well, i forgot about their more recent failings, it makes you want to weep that an organisation that could do good and protect the people who are vulnerable do not do so as they cannot agree a strategy or whatever - pointless and if anything makes the situation worse if not better...
Old 25 July 2008, 12:36 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Personally, I blame us Europeans. God knows, the yanks do.

It's not just co-incidence that the Bosnian UN mission resulted in so many post-trauma issues for the soldiers. Give a bloke a gun, then tell him to stand by whilst he knows very bad things are happening to the men, women and children he's been told he's there to protect. Bl**dy cloud cuckoo land politics and minimal funding and equipment.

J.
Old 25 July 2008, 12:45 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
Personally, I blame us Europeans. God knows, the yanks do.

It's not just co-incidence that the Bosnian UN mission resulted in so many post-trauma issues for the soldiers. Give a bloke a gun, then tell him to stand by whilst he knows very bad things are happening to the men, women and children he's been told he's there to protect. Bl**dy cloud cuckoo land politics and minimal funding and equipment.

J.
United Nations - now there is an Oxymoron!
It must have taken great restraint for the troops to do so knowing what was going to happen - in some way maybe they should have got stuck in and ignore the bloated bureaucrats who dithers and mumbled whilst this went on.

Last edited by The Zohan; 25 July 2008 at 01:08 PM.