Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Last summer's weather......and this.

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2008, 03:00 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Last summer's weather......and this.

Apparently, last summer's poor weather was caused by the jet stream being in the wrong place, too far south IIRC.

Does anyone know if it's done it again? Are we going to have ANOTHER crap summer?

Alcazar
Old 07 July 2008, 03:01 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is Britain, of course we are
Old 07 July 2008, 03:05 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

We've had a bad day of rain, and maybe we will get a week of it - It's actually ok here (south coast) at the moment.

The important thing is not to base your expectations of the next 3 months on the next week

BBC - Weather Centre - UK Weather Services - The Monthly Outlook

However, the Long term forecast is that most of July is going to be ****, but August is going to be great (For southerners anyway - Northerners might get up to double figures occasionally )
Old 07 July 2008, 03:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
We've had a bad day of rain, and maybe we will get a week of it - It's actually ok here (south coast) at the moment.

The important thing is not to base your expectations of the next 3 months on the next week

BBC - Weather Centre - UK Weather Services - The Monthly Outlook

However, the Long term forecast is that most of July is going to be ****, but August is going to be great (For southerners anyway - Northerners might get up to double figures occasionally )
Southern git!

I wasn't basing my expectations on owt, really, just remembering what the met office said as to WHY last summer was a washout.

It wasn't THAT much better at the French property either

Alcazar
Old 07 July 2008, 03:41 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Just wait until the south suffers a hosepipe ban, then we'll see who's feeling smug
Old 07 July 2008, 03:42 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
Just wait until the south suffers a hosepipe ban, then we'll see who's feeling smug
Until the government announce a pipeline to be built from OUR reservoirs to them, funded by a tax on northerners

Alcazar
Old 07 July 2008, 03:45 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
Yeah - You should see us when we are sitting in 90 degree heat not able to use our hosepipes. We would much rather it be pissing down, honest we would
Old 07 July 2008, 04:36 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Until the government announce a pipeline to be built from OUR reservoirs to them, funded by a tax on northerners

Alcazar

i take it your sick of the weather in the most ironically named 'haven' in lincs.
Old 07 July 2008, 04:41 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This actually feels like the first proper rain 'we' (darn sarf) have had in yonks. I've been riding my motorbike to work for weeks.
Old 08 July 2008, 12:58 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Apparently, last summer's poor weather was caused by the jet stream being in the wrong place, too far south IIRC.

Does anyone know if it's done it again? Are we going to have ANOTHER crap summer?

Alcazar
It is interesting that you should mention that. It is noticeable that the aircraft arriving from over the Atlantic all appear to be on southerly tracks which would indicate that the NatTracks for west to east have been in the south. The NatTracks are planned for aircraft to get the best advantage for aircraft crossing the Atlantic and since jetstreams are west/east in direction that indicates that they have been in the more southerly part of the Atlantic.

It was also stated that sunpots may have a strong effect on climate and being a Radio Ham who relies on sunspots for communications I have also noticed that there have been no sunspots at all for a long time now. Even at the lowest peak in the sunspot cycle as we are now, it is very unusual to get none at all for such a long period.

Les
Old 08 July 2008, 01:16 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Face it, we live in an overtaxed country, run by tw@s with their snouts in the trough, with really **** weather!

Ive just come back from spain, it was mid 30's all week, 1 euro for a bottle of san miguel, 21 euros for 200 cigs and petrol was much cheaper!

Why am i still in england?
Old 08 July 2008, 01:29 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

At least your liver and lungs might last a bit longer though.

Les
Old 08 July 2008, 01:32 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I think we should all get Leslie to fly up into the clouds/jetstream/that big aircurrentythingupthere in his Tiger Moth and give us a personalised SN weather report/prediction. It would be all scientific and all of course, he could get some balloons from Asda ( on special I believe), some tin foil and maybe use his index finger (licked of course) for air currents and wind speed
Old 09 July 2008, 12:47 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
I think we should all get Leslie to fly up into the clouds/jetstream/that big aircurrentythingupthere in his Tiger Moth and give us a personalised SN weather report/prediction. It would be all scientific and all of course, he could get some balloons from Asda ( on special I believe), some tin foil and maybe use his index finger (licked of course) for air currents and wind speed
Try as I might Swiss, the poor old Tiger just wont make it up to 35K feet +.

We did get the speed record from Goose Bay in Newfoundland to touch down at Waddington in 3 hours 21 minutes on one occasion. We had a ground speed of around 675 Knots at times-multiply by 9 divide by 7 to get MPH. Speedy little chaps those jet streams if you get them right.

Les
Old 09 July 2008, 12:57 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Please tell me at some point whilst whizzing along in the jetstream you did some "whoop whoop " noises
Old 09 July 2008, 01:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
Please tell me at some point whilst whizzing along in the jetstream you did some "whoop whoop " noises
It was the Co Pilot's leg so I just nodded off between radio calls.

Les