Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ambulance has just arrived for mum...

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2008, 11:49 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ambulance has just arrived for mum...

and taken her off to the hospital, just about to give chase to it now.
Glad she is in good hands.

Lots of pain tonight, and my sister has finally done something right, and gone with her! Wowza.

Back with an update later

PS, dont think im wasting valuable time, im not allowed in on the examination lol. Will be there in good time, especially with A&E waiting times.
Old 18 June 2008, 11:50 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

All the best Snazy lad.
Old 18 June 2008, 11:51 PM
mellinator
Scooby Regular

all the best buddy
Old 18 June 2008, 11:55 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be strong here, glad to know you your sister is doing the right thing now.

Thoughts with you.
Old 19 June 2008, 12:32 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

All the best Michael
Old 19 June 2008, 01:15 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Hey Snazy.

Hope things are ok - thinking of you

LG
x
Old 19 June 2008, 01:18 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys. Just popped home for 5 mins (hospital is only a few mins down the road), and needed to get money for the car park!

The main complaint is lower chest pain, very strong shooting and stabbing pains in her left side, from shoulder to bottom of ribs.

SAT's down to 92, BP elevated slightly. Awaiting the doctor at the mo. Will post a bit more when I know more.

Thank you for the kind messages

She is in the right place now.
Old 19 June 2008, 01:22 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Originally Posted by Snazy
Cheers guys. Just popped home for 5 mins (hospital is only a few mins down the road), and needed to get money for the car park!

The main complaint is lower chest pain, very strong shooting and stabbing pains in her left side, from shoulder to bottom of ribs.

SAT's down to 92, BP elevated slightly. Awaiting the doctor at the mo. Will post a bit more when I know more.

Thank you for the kind messages

She is in the right place now.

You are right - she is in the right place, and they can give her meds for the pain and get her comfortable.

Hospital trips at any time are not fun - let alone late night/early morning ones..! I've been there quite a few times now, so make sure you take extra change for the coffee machines etc... you'll probably be in need of a drink at some point to keep you going, and those blinking things aren't cheap!!
Hugs to you & your mum.
Old 19 June 2008, 01:51 AM
baser999
Scooby Regular

I work in the control room for London Ambulance so hope your mum was in good hands tonight - keep us posted.
Old 19 June 2008, 03:52 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by baser999
I work in the control room for London Ambulance so hope your mum was in good hands tonight - keep us posted.
Cheers mate and well done for the job you do
Response car medic and the ambulance crew were magic, reassured her and convinced her hospital was the best place to be. So my thanks to those guys.

The doctor looking after her tonight in the hospital, Adele...... What a "lovely" young lady in every respect
Happy, chirpy, and very professional. Mum was definatly in good hands. She felt very at ease.

So the update.....
Well, I have just got home, a number of tests and scans done so far, but they are now keeping her in for investigation and observation.

Possible DVT, given the symptoms and recent chemo. Quite a bit of fluid on the lungs, and an infection showing up in prelim bloods.

Sats down to 89-91 and BP slightly elevated to normal, but thats prob the distress.

Will know more in the morning, and be making my pilgrimage to the hospital once I know which ward to head for.

Thankfully being late at night, street parking was fine. Mum is a bit dehydrated, and not drinking much, and was not allowed to pending tests. I picked up a drink when I popped home lol.
Im expecting a couple of days of testing and monitoring her, so not expecting her back before the weekend. But lets wait and see. If they find something, it could be a while longer.

Last edited by Snazy; 19 June 2008 at 03:54 AM.
Old 19 June 2008, 04:05 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Hope everything is ok
Old 19 June 2008, 05:05 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

thoughts are with you fella.....

DC.... Its 5 am! I
Old 19 June 2008, 05:05 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

thoughts are with you fella.....

DC.... Its 5 am! I
Old 19 June 2008, 06:05 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Just read this now mate...
Hope all is well
Old 19 June 2008, 06:06 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Hi Michael, just popped in and seen this so don't know the full story leading up to this latest turn of events but just to let you know we're thinking of you despite being over 1500 miles away.
Old 19 June 2008, 07:08 AM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

Just seen this now, hope everything is ok Michael
Old 19 June 2008, 08:12 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Hope everything turns out ok
Old 19 June 2008, 08:35 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Echo all of the above, hope everything turns out ok mate.
Old 19 June 2008, 09:17 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Hope your Mum is OK Snazy, you did the right thing bud, now take care of yourself, all the best.
Cheers
Colin
Old 19 June 2008, 09:26 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Morning, I have to say "im pooped!"
Eyes are sore as hell and just wont wake up..... grrr. 3 hours sleep is baaad!

Got to get the dog out for a walk, then get my bootie to the hospital to see mum. She was meant to text me her ward last night, but seems to have forgotten to. Doh!

Thank you to everyone for the kind messages, and YOU Sal!! Thank you darlin, but get on with your holiday and dont you worry about a thing
Her condition was stable last night, with her spirits returning a little.

Sister stuck about for the whole thing, and finally seems to be getting the message that mum aint well. So thats another bonus.

Right, I cant type, so im gonna get some fresh air, and get down the hospital. Thank you all again
Old 19 June 2008, 10:27 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

It's always midnight or 3 in the morning with these things isn't it

At least you are available to get to her when needed. Hope things go reasonably.

Dare I suggest that now might just me the time for the hospital social coordinator, or whatever they are called, to have a chat to her about her future?? And many of them are used to dealing with the "challenging" patient.

I expect the hospital will want to get shot of her as soon as is decent and, from what you say, if she goes home then it's just going to happen again.

Only a thought from someone who has family experience of this. atb, d
Old 19 June 2008, 11:03 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Only just seen this Snazy. Really sorry to hear about her problems, I hope that they managed to get her comfortable again and that she will be home again soon.

Very glad to hear about your sister too, that will be a great help to you too.

Les
Old 19 June 2008, 11:07 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Hi Michael,

echo the above comments, all the best to you and your family.

Paul
Old 19 June 2008, 12:24 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Best wishes mate, I hope everything goes well. Just dont forget with all this rushing about to look after yourself!
Old 19 June 2008, 01:51 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys. Quick update.

Condition seems to have deteriorated over night. She is in incredible pain, crying and shouting out in pain almost constantly. The most comfortable position for her at the mo is sitting almost slumped forwards in a chair. But thats obviously far from a good position.

After taking pain killers this morning Tramadol, she says she threw up, nurse says, that there was little thrown up, and not the tablets. However in her usual fashion she has decided it WAS the tablets, so its refusing to take anymore of them.

In my usual fashion, I have sat there for 30 mins going on and on at her (nicely of course) and trying to find a break in the pain to get her to take one of them at least. Which thankfully she has now done.

She went for a CT scan about lunchtime, so they can start looking for clots etc, which they think it might be, however due to her not being able to lay down fully, or stay still without twitching in pain, they were unable to do the scan. Its unlikely she will be able to have this even after the painkillers either, as they only numb the pain.

Not sure how they are going to proceed just yet, to finish diagnosis. However they have administered blood thining medication via injection this morning.

With regards to speaking to the hospital about her release, until there is a diagnosis, its hard to even enter such a conversation, however I agree it must take place at some point. She keeps saying just let me go home, which is only to be expected, but its the wrong place for her.

In the meantime, as soon as diagnosis and prognosis is decided, I have a lot of conversations to have with various authorities regarding a wide range of subjects.

I have left her for a while now (obviously) to allow her some privacy and dignity at a testing time. Its hard sitting there with her crying with pain, and being told to just go away. But it needs to be done. Her SAT's are very low at the mo 91-92, so she is rather lucid. Starting sentances and forgetting what she was saying. Saying random things. All to be expected.

So I tend to ignore the "just leave" comments, and sit quietly for a minute, then "pop back up" again, when the moment has passed.

Sister seems to be trying to cope, but seems to be having a mixed result with it. A little over powering at times, standing over her as she cried in pain, but saying nothing. But as a whole I think its sinking in properly now that mum aint well! So im trying to support them both in the way they need it right now. Meanwhile, battling with lack of sleep, lots to do, and stress and emotion of my own about it all.

Phew, thats another load off my chest lol.

Thanks for listening guys
Old 19 June 2008, 02:06 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Michael,

It is a tough one and i do speak from experience.
always - remember you mum at her best, she is deteriorating , she is in pain and she could say things she does not mean. Do not take any of it to heart, kep being there for her, take a break as and when you can.

As for your sister - people are people and different in how they cope, coping mechanisms. This is a tought time for all, including you so try to keep smiling, and positive.

Any problems with your sister are best left tilll much later. Remeber you are sensitve at the moment as well and may not react in the best/your usual way.

Make mum comfortable and do not take anything untowards that is said to heart, always count to 10 or take a break.

Good luck chap, it is not going to be easy or fun.
Old 19 June 2008, 02:10 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Can they not give her an IV of morphine for the pain? It might also relax her enough for them to perform the tests/scans they need to? I ask as I've taken Rose to ER a couple of times with excruciating stomach pain and in both instances they've given her an IV of morphine to relive the pain? Different country I know, so different rules and regs may apply, plus there may be a reason why they don't want to.

It's never easy seeing someone you love in pain, and it may be a cliche but she is in the best place right now, even if she does not think so.

Redbull + a few ProPlus is a good "wake up" combination Oh and if you're feeling down, go and talk to the hound, give him a hug, and he'll repay in spades and it will make you feel a bit better
Old 19 June 2008, 02:16 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Can't add much that hasn't already been said Snazy, but my thoughts are with you and your family right now.

Hope everything goes as well as can be expected fella.
Old 19 June 2008, 02:16 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Cheers Paul
I have learnt over the years not to take anything to heart, and with things the way they are with mum, I take everything she says "with a sprinkling of love" Would not dream of taking her outbursts to heart. I know what you mean though.

Trying to make sure she gets the best care possible right now, without being overpowering. Its frustrating at times to see the nurse come round and NOT be able to administer stronger pain relief. She had co-codamol last night which helped, but the doctor has not put it on her meds, so at the mo, til she sees him, she cant have any more.

Not sure at this stage even they would have the right effect, as her pain has increased no end. But its reassuring to know I did the right thing last night calling NHS Direct and them sending the ambulance. Getting her to hospital in this amount of pain would have been very stressful for all.

Hopefully by later on she will be a little more comfortable

As for my sister. Im not gonna start correcting her right now, but will be subtle about getting her to shut up or back down when she is being overpowering. Im sure her other half will give her the comfort she needs. I can just give the guidance.
Old 19 June 2008, 02:20 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Can they not give her an IV of morphine for the pain? It might also relax her enough for them to perform the tests/scans they need to? I ask as I've taken Rose to ER a couple of times with excruciating stomach pain and in both instances they've given her an IV of morphine to relive the pain? Different country I know, so different rules and regs may apply, plus there may be a reason why they don't want to.

It's never easy seeing someone you love in pain, and it may be a cliche but she is in the best place right now, even if she does not think so.

Redbull + a few ProPlus is a good "wake up" combination Oh and if you're feeling down, go and talk to the hound, give him a hug, and he'll repay in spades and it will make you feel a bit better
Sid stimulants to keep awake lol, I dont do that anymore these days. When I need sleep, I get a couple of hours
As for the comfort, the missus gives a great hug, but the dog is getting lots of attention in her absence.
He howled properly like a wolf last night as we left the house with the ambulance crew. He has never done that in his 8-9 months with us. Bless him.

Nope, not easy seeing her in pain, but like you say, she is in the right place right now, so thats a blessing. Pain relief, they have not given anything quite that strong yet, im guessing as diagnosis is not complete and they need her with it, so they can diagnose properly. Once thats done, may the sedation begin lol.

Quick Reply: Ambulance has just arrived for mum...