Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2008, 05:02 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idiot families and women on bikes

Okay,
so I decide to run up the Tissington Trail on my bike on Saturday. Tried to start from Ashbourne but had no change for the car park so ran up to Tissington instead.

Start from Tissington and get stuck behind a tractor on the hill to the trail and there's this car behind me. I'm sat in the middle of the lane because there's no way he can get past so it's a waste of time.... or so I thought. This guy pulls up alongside and then in front of me (effectively bullying me out of the way) and proceeds to pass the tractor on a sharp (if you know Tissington it's the right hand bend just before the car park) right hand bend. I mean ON the bend, completely blind and just went past.

Ye Gods.

I get on the trail, and start up towards the High Peak trail carefully weaving between the walkers and older (read slower) cyclists and then come across a large group of adults who are spread across the entire trail on their bikes. Completely blocking everything. I ring the bell... and again and again, then have to shout "EXCUSE ME, coming through!" and they reluctantly shuffle to one side or the other. Leaving me to weave between the tiny gaps left. Their kids are all gathered 100 yards further down and as I pass the adults a barrage of abuse erupts from them. Not at me. Oh, no. At the kids for blocking the trail!!! All the kids very quickly move off all to one side (the left) as you should and I make a point of saying thanks as I go past.

Things get usual at this point. I went all the way up to the end of the High Peak trail (14 miles as near as), had a drink and started back. That was fun, it was a slight uphill with a light head wind the whole way up ( ) but a downhill tail wind all the way back The speed is up, the trail is empty (5:30 by now) and I am flying back.

Anyway - it's an old railway line so in sections it's dead straight for a LONG way - there's this couple coming the other way: bloke on the right side, woman on the left. She is looking right at me.. doesn't budge. I'm 6 and half foot high when on the bike and really not easy to miss, so politely say "Excuse me" no reaction, she's just pedalling on. I had to bellow and I mean full shout "WATCH OUT!!!" and she physically jumped on the bike in surprise and swerved out the way just in time. For crissake, how hard is it to miss a guy on a bike coming towards you? (I didn't really have the room to avoid her as she was partly out from the left side and I was worried she might suddenly swerve into me)

Why can't thick people just stay at home and leave the complicated things like reading signs and staying to the correct side of the bridleway to people who can read and walk at the same time?

Sorry... just needed a rant myself this time

It is actually a good ride to do and next time I will definitely start from Ashbourne and do the full trail. Has anyone done the High Peak?
Old 02 June 2008, 05:13 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Sounds as if you had a great time.
Old 02 June 2008, 05:29 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

To be honest, it was a good ride out. It's just really frustrating when inconsiderate and idiotic people spoil it for you.

It's a good trail to cycle on (as proven by the trip back when it was quiet) and fine when people are aware of what is going on around them. The vast majority heard me coming when I rang the bell (invaluable thing to have!) and stepped out the way without a problem, a quick thanks as you pass and away.

I actually met a couple of old guys discussing how to invest the 3/4 million pounds one of them had got as his pension pay off!!!! (there's a cafe stop where the high peak meets the Tissington Trail and I had an ice cream there)

Couldn't believe the amount of dust that accumulated on the bike though.
Old 02 June 2008, 05:39 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not find something more challenging than an old railway line and it wont be full of kids and old giffers, just some radical dudes, showing no fear and keeping it sick

I do sympathise, people are crap at being aware of what going on around them, its the same when you go swimming, go to the supermarket or drive, people in their own little world
Old 02 June 2008, 05:51 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Bloody annoys me when folk won't get out of your way!

I was blatting down a bridleway with a mate following, it was the type where tractors go so there was in effect two narrow gravel paths, both of us on the left. Two women were walking towards us, one on each path. I think they were upset by us just being there and refused to budge over, bearing in mind we were going downhill at around 20-25 mph and we could all see each other for ages. I must have got to within about six foot of her, broadside with the back wheel locked up when she shuffled her lardy fat **** onto the grass between the paths. In hindsight I wish I'd hit her!
Old 02 June 2008, 07:11 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

I've done Tissington a couple of times. A good run but on both occasions very busy. I can't remember people getting in my way though.

I have noticed more recently people in town "sticking to their line" and walking towards me until I budge over. Think of it as getting more exercise than them and it's not so bad

Nick
Old 02 June 2008, 09:23 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Winds me up when idiots do this.

I had a similar situation with woman to my left and her bloke on my right, what happens bloke moves to my side so i carried on wondering to see if they would, nope i nearly hit the idiots and got a bollocking to watch where im going, i shouted back stay on the feckin left then.

This is partly why im really going hard on the fitness, i want to cycle areas most people avoid that way im garuanteed a safe pleasant ride.

Why do they even bother.......

Doesn't help my living 1 mile from the biggest trail in cornwall, it goes nuts in the summer, kids swerving in front you name it.
Old 02 June 2008, 09:41 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Bit of a problem if you're a road cyclist like me (and way unfit!). I like the country lanes around here but I've basically done them all, so I'm looking for somewhere new that keeps me away from the lunatics in cars.

Now I have to dodge the nutters on foot

I wish work would get a move on with the cycle to work scheme. I'd use the full £1000 to get as good a off-roader (atb) as possible
Old 02 June 2008, 09:56 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Same here but living 35miles from work i have no choice.
Old 02 June 2008, 10:09 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hux309
Doesn't help my living 1 mile from the biggest trail in cornwall, it goes nuts in the summer, kids swerving in front you name it.
Ahh the Camel trail. I've done most of that and as you say, mental in the summer!

Same back home (well about 45 mins away anyway) at The Forest Of Dean, loads of trails there and a lot on a decent slope you can get some speed up, gravel though so you can't change direction quickly unless you want to become part of it!
Feckless ***** don't move over when they see you.
Old 02 June 2008, 10:20 PM
jono_pryor11
Scooby Newbie

Walkers can be a right pain in the ar$e, they seem to think that because we have wheels we shouldnt be on the trails (Even bridal ways and multi use trails) despite the legislation and usage rules. Really annoys me.

Im always the most polite and curteous i can be when on the bike and still they give you stares like you killed their cat or something.

Saying that i have met a few cyclists out there that act like ar$es and get us a bad name.

Im working in Buxton in July/August so will be hitting the trails round high peak then. Any suggestions on good runs?
Old 03 June 2008, 07:08 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Why not find something more challenging than an old railway line and it wont be full of kids and old giffers, just some radical dudes, showing no fear and keeping it sick

I do sympathise, people are crap at being aware of what going on around them, its the same when you go swimming, go to the supermarket or drive, people in their own little world
Sounds like good advice, not as though Derbyshire is short of good routes is it.
If I had little kids and a wobbly wife I'd probably head for the Tissington trail or the Manifold Valley too.
I would have thought (unfortunate as it is) that the type of riders you encountered are to be expected.
Old 03 June 2008, 09:33 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Forgot about the Manifold Valley - good scenery that way. Mind you on the way back to Tissington there are some great and unexpected sights to see.
Old 03 June 2008, 09:54 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

There's a former railway line that runs near my house that's been converted to a walk, the bit near my house is paved, has a dividing line painted down the middle, and it has arrows painted on it to indicate which side you should be on

Trouble is most of the people usng it, especially at the weekend, are so hard of thinking they still can't bring themselves to move aside if they are in the path of oncoming traffic, be they on foot or on a bike
Old 03 June 2008, 09:57 AM
ChrisB

What I find more ironic about families out on bikes (which is generally a good thing) is how the kids will have helmets, yet Mum & Dad obviously won't crash / fall off / get knocked off, so don't need a lid. Either that or have they sitting on the back of their heads.
Old 03 June 2008, 11:47 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Try walking around with an arm crutch and see how many people walk straight into it! Not much good saying sorry to someone who has been thrown on the floor and could have broken a bone etc.

Les
Old 03 June 2008, 11:51 AM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

a good run on a bike is up and around coombes (little mill) or even that pub with a railway carriage near it near new mills (name escapes me)
Old 03 June 2008, 01:27 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Well I've just bought new bikes for my wife and daughter and I got mine last year throuh cycle scheme. We intend to give the whole biking thing a try and hopefully its a start to a hobby we can all enjoy.

However, I have no idea about riding ettiquete. Anyone give us some tips?
Old 03 June 2008, 01:45 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Okay,
so I decide to run up the Tissington Trail on my bike on Saturday. Tried to start from Ashbourne but had no change for the car park so ran up to Tissington instead.

Start from Tissington and get stuck behind a tractor on the hill to the trail and there's this car behind me. I'm sat in the middle of the lane because there's no way he can get past so it's a waste of time.... or so I thought. This guy pulls up alongside and then in front of me (effectively bullying me out of the way) and proceeds to pass the tractor on a sharp (if you know Tissington it's the right hand bend just before the car park) right hand bend. I mean ON the bend, completely blind and just went past.

Ye Gods.

I get on the trail, and start up towards the High Peak trail carefully weaving between the walkers and older (read slower) cyclists and then come across a large group of adults who are spread across the entire trail on their bikes. Completely blocking everything. I ring the bell... and again and again, then have to shout "EXCUSE ME, coming through!" and they reluctantly shuffle to one side or the other. Leaving me to weave between the tiny gaps left. Their kids are all gathered 100 yards further down and as I pass the adults a barrage of abuse erupts from them. Not at me. Oh, no. At the kids for blocking the trail!!! All the kids very quickly move off all to one side (the left) as you should and I make a point of saying thanks as I go past.

Things get usual at this point. I went all the way up to the end of the High Peak trail (14 miles as near as), had a drink and started back. That was fun, it was a slight uphill with a light head wind the whole way up ( ) but a downhill tail wind all the way back The speed is up, the trail is empty (5:30 by now) and I am flying back.

Anyway - it's an old railway line so in sections it's dead straight for a LONG way - there's this couple coming the other way: bloke on the right side, woman on the left. She is looking right at me.. doesn't budge. I'm 6 and half foot high when on the bike and really not easy to miss, so politely say "Excuse me" no reaction, she's just pedalling on. I had to bellow and I mean full shout "WATCH OUT!!!" and she physically jumped on the bike in surprise and swerved out the way just in time. For crissake, how hard is it to miss a guy on a bike coming towards you? (I didn't really have the room to avoid her as she was partly out from the left side and I was worried she might suddenly swerve into me)

Why can't thick people just stay at home and leave the complicated things like reading signs and staying to the correct side of the bridleway to people who can read and walk at the same time?

It is actually a good ride to do and next time I will definitely start from Ashbourne and do the full trail. Has anyone done the High Peak?
Maybe she was going for a compensation claim - or indeed *was* half blind
Old 03 June 2008, 01:55 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EddScott
Well I've just bought new bikes for my wife and daughter and I got mine last year throuh cycle scheme. We intend to give the whole biking thing a try and hopefully its a start to a hobby we can all enjoy.

Best of luck! As to ettiquete, depends on the situation but there's always the mountain bike code (a bit like the country code):

1. ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET
2. Consider wearing other protective clothing
3. Stay on the trail, either road or bridleway. Footpaths are out of bounds. Do not cycle on private tracks or open land without permission.
4. Be courteous and considerate; moderate your speed when approaching others, especially animals.
5. Always ride under control, especially downhill, since this is when serious accidents often occur. Learn how to prevent skids and to minimise damage to the trail.
6. Ensure your bike is safe to ride. Learn basic maintenance and take essential spares with you (i.e. Puncture repair kit).
7. Learn basic first aid and take a first aid kit with you. If biking on your own always let people know where you intend to go.
8. Don’t forget that off road rights of way used by cyclists are covered by the Highway Code. Your riding could result in prosecution, especially if you are involved in an accident.
9. Always shut gates behind you and follow the Country Code.
10. Do you have a trail / route map to follow?
11. Think about the weather. Do you know the forecast?

In addition when on Forestry land:
1. Remember other vehicles use forest roads as well as you!
2. Expect the unexpected - keep your speed down.
3. Keep away from forest operations such as tree felling and take notice of forest signs
4. Do not pass any vehicle loading timber until you have been told to do so.
Old 03 June 2008, 01:57 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Generally just be polite to everyone you meet and thank them if they get out out of your way, you should however get ready to stop and treat yourself as a second rate citizen as people tend to see all bikes as just that ...

Slow right down or preferably stop when facing oncoming horses...they are skitty, have tiny brains and can go nuts when they see bikes (or a feather, a dust particle, a banana skin, a falling leave) and if you are wearing shades, then remove them as it also freaks the dumb ******* if they can't see your eyes.

Don't engage in any attempt at a 'it's a public right of way' or 'we can all share the same paths and get along together' with either of the following:

a) aformentioned horsey owners
b) the elderly walking brigade who wear red socks and carry poles as if it's the tundra they are setting out across

as a high percentages of the above are pure ******** who I've wasted too much time trying to have reasoned discusions with

Buy a bell, you'll seriously need it as people just wander everywhere....

Any dogs are obviously unpredictable whether on or off the lead, it's not uncommon for the owner to be on one side of the path with the dog doing a dump in the grass on the other side with the dog lead strung across the path

Dogs to treat with extreme caution are dalmations and setters (especially red) who are nearly as stupid as aforementioned horsey people.

On a more serious note:

If you are riding off road then follow this

Countryside Access - Things to Know - Countryside Code

and if you are on a path and you come to a really muddy bit or whatever, then try not to create another path by going around it, but try and go through it, this is how the more serious errosion occurs with people avoiding obstacles and effectively creating new paths

Don't skid, lock your wheels etc it just damages the path and your bike....

Have fun

PS Obviously SJ's advice above is spot on

Last edited by SiPie; 03 June 2008 at 02:00 PM. Reason: SJ took the time to answer the question seriously...
Old 03 June 2008, 04:52 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Okay,

Ye Gods.

Come over to Switzerland with your bike and see what real mountain biking is like. I am sure you won't be disappointed.
Old 03 June 2008, 05:16 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Originally Posted by Fuzz
Ahh the Camel trail. I've done most of that and as you say, mental in the summer!

Same back home (well about 45 mins away anyway) at The Forest Of Dean, loads of trails there and a lot on a decent slope you can get some speed up, gravel though so you can't change direction quickly unless you want to become part of it!
Feckless ***** don't move over when they see you.
Lol nope but camel is just as bad.

Flat lode trail it covers portreath/devoran/bissoe/carn marth/carn brea/ It's recently had a hard to find area added on making it great as it turns the whole area into a loop and no bugger has hardly found it give them time though.
Old 03 June 2008, 05:21 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Come over to Switzerland with your bike and see what real mountain biking is like. I am sure you won't be disappointed.
No I would be dead from heart attack at all the mountains I would have to climb

Where's the thread on electric bikes gone again? (besides which I am a road cyclist not a lunatic off road type )
Old 03 June 2008, 06:39 PM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

The solution

YouTube - Mother of all pranks
Old 04 June 2008, 09:27 AM
ChrisB

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Best of luck! As to ettiquete, depends on the situation but there's always the mountain bike code (a bit like the country code):

3. Stay on the trail, either road or bridleway. Footpaths are out of bounds. Do not cycle on private tracks or open land without permission.
CheekyTrails
Old 04 June 2008, 09:31 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

And NEVER EVER slap a bull on the **** more than once..... Source: Wild Hogs DVD
Old 04 June 2008, 09:42 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

bloody yobs on bikes always spoiling things
Old 04 June 2008, 12:17 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Good advice I think from SJ and Sipie.

Les
Old 04 June 2008, 12:22 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Please get the seat set correctly, if you want to protect your families knees and enjoy the ride then dont have the sadlle right down.....

With the pedal at the bottom (use the ball of your foot not the instep) your leg should be almost straight.