Red
Chateau Talbot 1985
Chateau Leovilel Poyferre 1985

Anyone know anything about these wines?
Old 13 May 2008, 08:11 PM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you want to know? Price or Tasting notes?

Corton Charlemagne Bonneau du Martray White Burgundy 1999 or 2000

"The domaine by virtue of it's large holdings does what many cannot - it cellars a lot of older vintages. Don't dismiss the occasional 1991 or 1993 on the shelf of your local merchant - it could have come direct from those cellars very recently - always check as the domaine often releases older vintages!
A selection of domaine wines follow. All drunk one evening in July 2004 - together with dinner - they weren't actually drunk in this order but I try to make it easier for you:
2002 Bonneau du Martray, Corton-Charlemagne
A young, pale colour. A wine whose aromatics major on fruit. Seems fat, but needs just a little more time as there's still a little oak marking the palate. Gives the impression of lower acidity, most likely due to the extra fat. Probably starting to sing as you read this - or leave until 2015+
2001 Bonneau du Martray, Corton-Charlemagne
Same colour as the 2000. The wine shows a blast of fruit on the nose. The steely palate is much more mineral than the 2000 that follows and seems to show an extra length despite less-than piercing acidity. Very drinkable today, a bit of a honey.
2000 Bonneau du Martray, Corton-Charlemagne
Light colour again. Again a high toned nose, slightly alcoholic. The palate is fit rather than fat, super focused Charlemagne intensity. Lovely texture, really nice acidity and a great finish. Few words but great wine.

Meursault 'Genevrieres' 1992 Michelot-Buisson

5/99. Acquired from London Feb-96 for $44 (imported for $59 net).
I've had this wine about a year ago and was relatively disappointed by the accented woody nose and flavors.
COLOR: Medium golden color that conveys viscosity.
NOSE: Very nice butter and minerals on the nose so, typical of Meursault. Rich perfume of white fruits with slightly honeyed overtones. Wood is there but not overpowering.
TASTE: Fat and mouthfilling on the palate. Concentrated and viscous with only moderate wood flavors. A bit lacking in acidity though. Tasty and enjoyable.
LENGTH: Medium long aftertaste that carries the buttery fat to the finish.
TEXTURE & BALANCE: Full bodied Meursault, with all the expected richness and winyness. Fat and viscous with good grip and class. Wood obviously less marked than a year ago. Could use more acidity for balance.
OVERALL: Excellent. A full notch better than last time, though I've tasted much better offerings from this domaine.
MARK: 17/20. BUY MORE? Maybe.

Chateau Talbot 1985

Chateau Talbot

"1985
Chateau Talbot (St Julien) 1985: A deeply coloured wine, with some orange-red to the rim. Thick oily legs. The nose is delightful; meaty, oaky, violets. Slightly spicy/curry notes. The palate has good body. Tannins evident, finish is alcoholic. Cigar-smoke flavour. Good length. 17/20 (May 2000) "

Chateau Leoville Poyferre 1985

1985: A good colour, although also demonstrating some maturity. The nose is much more vibrant and typical than those of the preceding two wines. It is dense, with plenty of blackcurrant fruits, minerals and rose petals. Textbook St Julien. Great balance and fluidity on the palate, the hallmark for me of the 1985 vintage. Correct, integrated tannins and acidity. Overall supple, attractive and very approachable. Wonderful stuff. 18.5/20 (January 2003) "

Matt I am a claret man and I suspect the Leoville Poyferre is the one to go for there.

Burgundy is a minefield. It's great when it's good, but there are some turkeys out there and price alone does not guarantee a good wine. I think i would prefer the Bonneau du Martray, Corton-Charlemagne. The mention of the lack of acidity in the Mersault is correct. They often do lack acidity. And for my palate I prefer a white burgundy with some acidity. That is what sets them apart from New World chardonnays.

Going away from your question have you tried a white from St.Aubin. It is right next to Puligny-Montrachet, but the prices are lower.

Last edited by CharlesW; 14 May 2008 at 12:18 AM.
Old 13 May 2008, 09:18 PM
abbott
Scooby Regular

i can only help on the wine made by the benadictine monks ....
buckfast rules
Old 13 May 2008, 10:43 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

lol

I was after opinions on taste, they are all priced roughly similar.
Old 14 May 2008, 10:48 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Chateau Talbot has a good reputation and history I have some from 1995 in the cellar but 1985 hase some good ratings on differenet wine websites. Leovile Poyferre 1985 is a great year but to be honest both are from St Julien, same year and within a few miles of each other. The grapes are both very similar blends and there is very little to choose between them.
Old 14 May 2008, 10:58 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

THe whites personally I would have the Corton Charlemagne but I have never drunk one so cannot comment on taste. There are loads of Mersaults around or differnet qualities and types but still lots of them around while Corton Charlemagne wine can be quite rare.
Old 14 May 2008, 11:22 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Give joni a pm. He is very knowledgable about wines
Old 14 May 2008, 01:07 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Thanks all. This is not for me but a 40th. These were all recommendations from the retailer at sub £100 on the basis that 68 was a poor year.