Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

r u into Wine? can u help?

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2001, 05:06 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Question

i've been given 6 bottles of red wine as a thank you 'tip' from a customer of ours...

i'd like to know wot it is

on the front it says

RIOJA
Denominacion De Origen Calificada
PUEBLO VIEJO
2000 (i think this is the year )
product of Spain
12%vol

is this a good wine??????

many tnx
Phil

Old 24 August 2001, 05:12 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too know sod all about wine, so would be interested to know if anyone has heard of, what I'm told, is a sparkling white wine (chardonay?) called "Margarite Treble"

the reason? well, our wiemaraner's name is, suprise suprise, Margarite Treble, and the breeder told us it was cos it was wine.
Old 24 August 2001, 05:16 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I thought you knew about salsa? Rioja (pronounced Ree-ock-a) is from Spain (I wrote that bit before noticing the 'product of Spain' bit). I think it's jolly nice, but as with all these things it varies. Does it say 'Reserva' or 'Gran Reserva' on it? If so, it's <B>very</B> nice. Goes well with a salsa I reckon.

An ordinary bottle of Rioja is about a fiver. Reservas are about a tenner (but Tesco's is 8 quid), and Gran Reservas are more.
Old 24 August 2001, 05:18 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

I could 'sample' it for you if you like

What on earth are <B>you</B> going to do with it? It's like giving the Pope a condom

Chris
Old 24 August 2001, 05:20 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I could take it off your hands at Trax
Old 24 August 2001, 05:42 PM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

you want to wander into wh smiths and check out oz clarkes wine guide - little book (a5 size) with pretty much every wine listed & rated.

otherwise give oddbins a call
Old 24 August 2001, 07:18 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Smile

The Rioja is a very full bodied wine - also available as a White and Rose..........

You don't say whether it's a 'Reserva' or 'Gran Reserva' - these are the 'best of the best'.......

I personally like the 'Campo de Veijo' and 'Faustino' Gran reservas.... (about £12 for the Faustino) - if you like Red wine, this a SERIOUS bottle of wine - very nice

The average price for a normal Rioja is about £5....

I love 'em

Dan
Old 24 August 2001, 08:00 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Scoobydoo,

You should go for some of the "En Primeur" just out. Now that is serious stuff!

Jerome
Old 24 August 2001, 08:56 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Talking

It's 12% you say - it has to be good then

David
Old 24 August 2001, 09:10 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Smile

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by JFB:
<B>Scoobydoo,

You should go for some of the "En Primeur" just out. Now that is serious stuff!

Jerome[/quote]

Nice one Jerome - I'll get down the merchants tomorrow - what sort of price am I looking at?

Dan (sorry to steal the topic!!! Looks like we've got another potential forum )

Old 24 August 2001, 11:46 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Yes Dan, apologies to Salsa King, I have moved the topic to another heading under "Non Scooby Related". Hope to see you there!

Jerome
Old 25 August 2001, 12:41 PM
kav
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Markus:
<B>I too know sod all about wine, so would be interested to know if anyone has heard of, what I'm told, is a sparkling white wine (chardonay?) called "Margarite Treble"

the reason? well, our wiemaraner's name is, suprise suprise, Margarite Treble, and the breeder told us it was cos it was wine.[/quote]

Markus

You have my utmost sympathy. We had a Wiemeraner a few years back and it was nuttier than a nutty thing. Nearly drove me and Mrs K to the nearest nutty farm....

Old 25 August 2001, 03:58 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Arrow

no it doesn't say anything elso on the bottle other than what i put + the address of where its from.

still its good then?????

as CharlieW says i don't drink! (at all) so i'll keep it 4 a special occation, like when i get engaged! lol

Phil
Old 25 August 2001, 10:21 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

phil

almost impossible to say m8...there are so many wines out there.

i must say rioja is one of my favourite types of wine, along with a nice aussie shiraz / grenache and maybe a nice french saint emillion.

sounds like its not a crianza, reserva or gran reserva - its a DOC - but that certainly does not mean it wont be v tasty.

my favourite bodegas has to be martinez bujanda....i have some very nice wines from his cellar...crianza, reserva and gran reserva at reasonable prices - £5-14.

faustino that scoobydoo mentions is v smooth and i've a very nice 1989 gran reserva warming as i type

think u need to simply open it - make sure its at room temp and sample - if u like it thats all that counts.

cheers

steve
Old 25 August 2001, 11:10 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Talking

but i'm T total thats the joke!!!!

if i keep it for years will it go off, or will it get better with age????

Phil
Old 26 August 2001, 09:20 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Talking

Assume it will go off.

Bring it up to NM6 and we'll try before we buy.

Really, if you don't know what it is, you are favourite to use it. Contrary to poular belief all red wine does not get better with age.

The "Faustino" being referred to comes in several different "numbers" eg Faustino I is more expensive than Faustino V, the latter being so far as I can tell (and depending on the year) the mass market vehicle.
Old 26 August 2001, 09:59 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Talking

Your ded right Barry - forgot to mention about the Faustino numbers....oops

Salsa - why not sell the wine on - I'm SURE there's bound to be a few people who would begrudgingly take a bottle off your hands

Dan
Old 28 August 2001, 01:33 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

kav,
What did you do, get rid of the weim or keep it?

Maggie is a total nutter, but it is a breed trait, after about 18months they do calm down, and maggie is a testement to that fact, she's great indoors, just curls up and sleeps, but when outside she rockets around like she's got a firecracker up her bum. She's dead cute though, plus is very protective of 'her' pack. wouldn't change her for the world, and we're looking at getting another one, and maybe breeding them as well. lotsa little wiems, hey, that''' be fun
Old 29 August 2001, 11:41 PM
kav
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Markus
Absolutely not - she passed away at the ripe old age of 15 and we wouldn't have changed her for anything in spite of the fact she cost us about a gazillion quid in stolen food and vet's fees. Top dog - really affectionate and loads of character. I heard somewhere that a group of peopl ehad set up a support group for Weimee owners who were at their wits' end and couldn't take any more!

My lasting memory was of Hound (as she came to be known) running out of the village shop with a farmhouse loaf clamped firmly between her teeth with shopkeeper in hot pursuit. Imagine me trying to deny ownership of said dog when it was the only one for miles around. Happy days!

Being suckers for punishment, we ended up getting a Dalmation. Smart move (not).

Cheers
Kav
Old 31 August 2001, 11:31 AM
homerdog
Scooby Regular

Cool

Kav

Dalmatian = Wiemaraner + white hair and slobber everywhere - yuk!

Wouldn't get rid of ours for anything though

Daryl

Old 31 August 2001, 11:41 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Kav,
15 is a good run for a weim. Looks like we've got a long old time with maggie then!

There is a Weimaraner Rescue scheme, which i think is what you're reffering to, will allow you to get the dog rehomed. We were going to get a resuce weim, but there were no suitable ones at the time (have cat and kids, and not a lot of wiems deal with that) So we got a puppy. Good one as well, her daddy is show champ Ansona Winchester (Enryb) so she has great breed line if we decide to breed from her.

Great dog, would not change her for the world, even when she's being annoying, which is 80 percent of the time!

Thing that annoys me at the moment is that through Watchdog using them, people think 'aaah cute dog, let's get one' not knowing what they are letting themselves in for, and the poor dog is the one that suffers.

Also, the pedigree advert is a joke, they are going on about fat dogs, and they use a weim! ummm, when have you ever seen a fat wiem, apart from a pregnant female. There's nothing to them! grrrr, bad advert, should have used a yellow lab instead.

And what about the 'if smirnof made pet food...' advert, umm, the weim must have drunk a helluva lot as it's bitch and it's speaking in a male voice, huh?

So you got a dalmation! glutton for punishment or what great dogs though, nearly as nutty as a weimy.

Old 02 September 2001, 11:38 AM
kav
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thought we'd learned a lesson but apparantly not!
She ended up in Disney's remake of 101 Dalamtions. If you've got the vid you can check her out in the final scene down out the 'Dalmation Plantation' She's the one right in the centre of the screen with a red collar looking absolutely and thoroughly p****d off!