Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What is an e-cheque - Pay Pal

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2008, 07:45 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is an e-cheque - Pay Pal

After locking my account up (with a grand in it) and making me jump through hoops for a month to get it opened up again I used my Pay Pal account on Thurs to pay for a GFX card I had to have by Weds. Seller says I paid by e-cheque and that it isnt an instant payment and will take days to clear before he sends.

What on earth is this? They used to debit my currrent account and pay sellers immediately? Is it since I have been forced to declare myself as a business seller for clearing out loads of uneeded house stuff recently?

Dontcha love corporate USA as a minion...

D
Old 03 May 2008, 07:50 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

An e-cheque is normally issued when you don't have sufficient cleared funds in your paypal account and they have to debit your bank account.
Old 03 May 2008, 07:54 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

They are used by poor people who dont have cash in their accounts now to pay by paypal. They take weeks to clear but usually after weeks of waiting they never clear and you have to relist...
If an item you are selling is won by an e-cheque buyer, drive to the postal address, headbutt the buyer on the bridge of the nose, urinate on them and leave before relisting your item...
Old 03 May 2008, 07:57 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

I would never send an item out before an Echeque has cleared. Too many of them get cancelled before they clear.

An echeque is a payment from a buyer's bank account which is not backed up by a card.
Old 03 May 2008, 08:02 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I've just sold an item that has been paid by e-cheque.
It took about 9 days to clear into my Paypal account.
Old 03 May 2008, 08:02 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

or if your debit card has expired and you havnt changed the card details on paypal yet ,happened to me before think it ended up nearly taking 3 weeks before i had the item in hand that id won
im like a kid i like it the day i bid
Old 03 May 2008, 08:35 PM
pitcha44
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zs_phil
or if your debit card has expired and you havnt changed the card details on paypal yet ,happened to me before think it ended up nearly taking 3 weeks before i had the item in hand that id won
im like a kid i like it the day i bid
correct. happend to me the other week. rang paypal to see why it was going to take 10 days to pay. was told the card was invalied so they have to apply to the bank for the money. check that your card details are correct
Old 04 May 2008, 12:06 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

This is sooooo annoying as I have two cards linked to the account and this has never happened before. I've just subscribed to PayPalSucks.com. Arghhhh! Why dont they debit my account as usual - like use the debit card linked to it for the usual instant payment (just like in a shop FFS!).

I'd ask PayPal, but typical of large greedy US corporations, they make that as difficult, convoluted and slow as possible.

D

Last edited by Diesel; 04 May 2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04 May 2008, 06:27 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

When you pay, if there isnt the money in your paypal account to cover the payment, it comes up with a choice of ways to fund the payment - the default now seems to be funding directly from your bank, but there is also a link to choose other ways to pay ( including any debit or credit cards you have registered with them ).

Not standing up for Paypal, but its hardly their fault that you didnt bother to read what was on the payment page before clicking on 'pay' is it ?
Old 04 May 2008, 08:45 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

It seems the debit card expired They certainly didnt flag that up to me. Chap has given me his HSBC account to credit with cash and he'll post my card (which I need for a job this week) and will refund my e cheque when it clearson 13th May. He has a good rep on e bay, but it still sounds very risky to me. Should I do it?????

I have lodged a new debit card with pay pal, but there seems no way to fund my account into credit from it, and hence have enough funds in there to clear this e cheque. Its so frustrating!

D
Old 05 May 2008, 08:45 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

You cant add funds from the card, only from your bank, and that would take longer than the echeque would take to clear. If you have added your new debit card now then any future payments can come straight from that.

If the seller has good feedback I wouldnt worry too much as when the echeque clears, if he doesnt refund the item you can sort that out then.
Old 05 May 2008, 11:08 AM
mo_turbo
Scooby Newbie

damn it i just bought a clutch off ebay paid for it thinking it will come in 2 working days i just realised my card is invalid need to enter the new details. No clutch for a a week
Old 05 May 2008, 03:34 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice guys. I sorted by getting HIM to cancel the e-cheque and then I immediately paid him again for same item number after adding the new debit card. Go get that clutch!

D
Old 05 May 2008, 06:20 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I recently sold a bike exhaust for 20 quid, buyer paid be said method and it took 10 days to clear. Total pain in the **** method of paying.
Nik.