Looking for a bit advice on redundancy

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2008, 12:05 PM
slipstream_uk
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for a bit advice on redundancy

Looking for a bit of advice, before I go and make the calls on Monday morning

A little of background info, My workplace went into administration 3 months ago. Got a letter in the post this morning saying my workplace has closed its doors and im made redundant. Got a pile of documents to fill out, to apply for my redundancy money and wages from the government.

Checked my insurance for my house, somehow I never noticed, im not covered for redundancy. What help im I entitled to, My status is im separated from the wife with my 2 kids staying over 3 nights every week. Both are under 16yrs.

Don’t know if this makes a difference but im in Scotland, so some laws are a bit different.

At the worst, whats my Scooby worth if it has to go.
Old 26 April 2008, 04:05 PM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about the job.

I think statutory government redundancy pay equates to 1 weeks pay for each full year of service, so most likely not much unless you have worked for them for donkeys years.
Old 26 April 2008, 05:19 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by slipstream_uk

Checked my insurance for my house, somehow I never noticed, im not covered for redundancy. What help im I entitled to, My status is im separated from the wife with my 2 kids staying over 3 nights every week. Both are under 16yrs.

Don’t know if this makes a difference but im in Scotland, so some laws are a bit different.

At the worst, whats my Scooby worth if it has to go.
Sorry to hear that
One of my friends has recently been through something similar. No idea what it's like in Scotland, but to my knowledge, you can claim Job Seekers Allowance, but housing benefit gets paid after 11 months of residency in England and Wales if you are still unemployed. Children's age doesn't come into consideration. My friend is insured for sickness and redundancy for first 12 months. Hence insurance company was prepared to pay his most of the mortgage for a year (excluding the first month for some reason). Apparently, Housing Benefit had no provision to help him and his children (under 10 yrs. of age) with mortgage. If he was renting, he would have got some money, but not sure as he is a single weekender parent. He found himself a job after 5 months, anyway. But having sickness and redundancy insurance helped him on that occasion.

Hope you find a system in place to help you, Slipstream.

Good luck with everything.
Old 26 April 2008, 05:25 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Redundancy Rights - Help & Advice regarding Redundancy Laws
Old 26 April 2008, 08:29 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My uncle was made redundant after 25 years in January because he had a mortgage and savings he was he was entitled to buggar all not 100% sure if he was just too proud to take benefits) Took him 4 months to get another job as well with no one wanting to take on English people around here
Old 26 April 2008, 08:47 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I've faced that bullet a couple of times. First time I secured alternative employment before they fired. The second was unexpected but there was a silver lining when just 3 weeks later I started a new job on 50% more cash and 100 less working days a year. When the current position started looking suspect I made the decision to sell the toy (Scoob) and invest in some protection, thus I am now a fully qualified driving instructor, as well as still working in my old position. For now I put up with having no spare time so I can pay off the mortgage and have a few quid extra in the coffers, safe in the knowledge that if the worst happens it won't be bad at all. I have no faith in the benefits system for someone like me, and no faith in our government to keep any employment safe.
Old 27 April 2008, 09:11 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

This is one of the problems with the benefit system - if you have been sensible while working, and managed to build up some savings, then you arent entitled to any help, and have to spend your savings ( unlike the people who pi55ed all their wages up against the wall and lived on credit, who can claim all sorts ).
Old 27 April 2008, 11:05 AM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

You might be entitled to contribution based Job Seekers Allowance, currently about £60 per week and payable for a max of six months, after that if you haven't found employment then things like savings are taken into account, they will also look at what redundancy payments you are receiving. When I worked there the Benefits Agency didn't look too kindly on people who got large sums and rapidly spent it on holidays etc and then expected state help - not saying you would do this but just to be aware of it. Benefits are usually only paid for children if they are living with you the majority of the time and you are receiving Child Benefit (or whatever it is called these days) for them.