Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Who's going to be the first on here to go on an A380 ?

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2008, 06:54 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who's going to be the first on here to go on an A380 ?

Singapore now have scheduled A380 flights, Virgin have one so who will be the first ?
Old 20 March 2008, 07:08 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw one a couple of months back flying over my house with the landing gear down. Must have been on a test flight from Filton! looked bloody massive and that was from the air!!!!
Old 20 March 2008, 08:05 PM
CraigCH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virgin won't be getting any for a while,so it's only Singapore for now.
Old 20 March 2008, 09:07 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

As per other thread...no way pedro.
I'd choose a 777 over the whale any day of the week, and I HATE flying on 777s
Old 20 March 2008, 09:23 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Couldn't care less really. It's just a plane that gets me to where I want to go.
Flying is just so boring.

Chip
Old 20 March 2008, 09:43 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Couldn't care less really. It's just a plane that gets me to where I want to go.

Chip
Exactly - when you book a holiday, when do you ever give any thought to the type of plane you'll be flying on?! And when do you get the choice?

I expect they'll become fairly common for popular long haul routes.

I'd like to fly on one
Old 20 March 2008, 09:54 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
Exactly - when you book a holiday, when do you ever give any thought to the type of plane you'll be flying on?! And when do you get the choice?

I expect they'll become fairly common for popular long haul routes.

I'd like to fly on one
I'm very interested in the type of plane, it often means big differences in comfort, number of seats together, what sort of IFE it has etc.

Plus I like 747s so alway try to get on those. One day they will disappear.
Old 20 March 2008, 10:06 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

If I was told I would be flying on a 737-200, I'd tell them to go and fly the old dog into a lake
Old 20 March 2008, 10:30 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip

Chip
Sort of. If you fly a lot it becomes important. I had to fly with Delta a couple of times from Gatwick to Atlanta and I learnt very quickly that they had two types of 'plane on that route and one of them didn't have in seat entertainment.

I then insisted I only flew BA and was much happier. However much you complain about BA (and they flew me to the wrong airport last week!) they are so much better than most.

Steve
Old 20 March 2008, 11:08 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

For those who fly lots, it matters loads...

Its very important to me what plane I am on... and you can see what it is before you even book it- usually if you click on the flight options/details in the booking process it will show you.

For example, I know if i take the BA 07:45 flight next week from JFK, its on a 777- with no AVOD on demand entertainment, horrible old business class cabin, and its noisy as hell.

If i take the BA one an hour later at 08:45, its a 747, meaning I can get my usual favourite exit seat upstairs where it is quiet and private, and I get the new business class cabin and AVOD on demand entertainment.
Massive difference between the two yet identical prices.

Ditto when I am flying american airlines domestically- I know never to book on a 757, as the first class is cramped and not a particuarly nice cabin, but on the 767-300 in F it's rather nice..

For your average chav on a package deal who flies once or twice a year, it matters not, and I am sure the A380 will be exciting for them.

Last edited by Freak; 20 March 2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 20 March 2008, 11:19 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

I fly a route that is either A320-200 or -400's and the 400's are much nicer, admittedly though this is because they have the same amount of people on each
Old 21 March 2008, 12:36 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Singapore now have scheduled A380 flights, Virgin have one so who will be the first ?
D*mn, misread it... Though you said "have a go on an A380". Could be fun, I've only ever spent Ł75 on flying lessons but it's all computer, isn't it. What could go wrong?
Old 21 March 2008, 10:19 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

I might be paranoid but I will try and avoid the plane until its had a couple of years of proven safety
Old 21 March 2008, 10:53 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Yes I only fly Virgin to Barbados. As BA use a smaller jet which im not keen on.
Old 21 March 2008, 10:53 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boxst
Sort of. If you fly a lot it becomes important. I had to fly with Delta a couple of times from Gatwick to Atlanta and I learnt very quickly that they had two types of 'plane on that route and one of them didn't have in seat entertainment.

I then insisted I only flew BA and was much happier. However much you complain about BA (and they flew me to the wrong airport last week!) they are so much better than most.

Steve
I tend to fly mostly domestic, Aberdeen, Heathrow and London City but did the Delta 767 to Atlanta a few weeks back, the entertainment is a portable telly in the roof, several rows forward, you cant hear it through the poxy headphones anyway, my dads mate is high up at Manchester AIrport so was going to sort me an upgrade, didnt work but he managed to get me an overwing exit which helped. Wouldnt want to do it very often, whatever it is on, I like my short flights !

I have learnt to book my flight to Aberdeen a bit late as the company ends up paying full price so you get access to the lounge and an hour of caning whatever you fancy

London City in April on a Fokker, first time I went there on a BAE 146 I let out a rather pathetic whimper when the plane appeared to slam the brakes on and just drop from the sky.

The plane does matter if you are a bit of a plane geek, I think a lot of people do actually hate air travel whilst others pretend its oh so boring but actually they love it, at least the take off and landing bits.
Old 21 March 2008, 01:05 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
I might be paranoid but I will try and avoid the plane until its had a couple of years of proven safety

I'd imagine it has already had a 'couple of years of proven safety' to be in service?
Old 21 March 2008, 10:52 PM
RAJ27
Scooby Regular

I've been on one from Sydney to Singapore. Lots of space and very very quiet, so much so that if feels like your doing about 50mph down the motorway. Landing was smooth and impressive too.