Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How much compo???

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2008, 04:23 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much compo???

howdi peeps - my girlfriend was involved in a quite serious car crash about 7 weeks ago, resulting in her breaking her arm in 3 places and having 3 10" scars where they put them in. she has also got servere nerve damage which results in her not being able to move her fingers fully, and her wrist is hardly moving at all. She's been off work for 7 weeks now, and the doc said it will be a while before she gets her hand up to full strength. Hopefully with physio everything will be o.k. in the end, but my main question is how much compo do you think she will be intitled to?? She really isn't interested in putting a claim in, but at the end of the day she's been through hell over the last few weeks, and I think she deserves it - but I would say that!! Just wondering if anyone else has put a claim in for broken bones etc..??
Old 13 March 2008, 04:28 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

She should definitely put in a claim! I presume she was not at fault?

I'll ask the wife for an ball park value, but that may well be a 10k + claim.

Hope she gets better soon btw.
Old 13 March 2008, 04:31 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Ouch! I hope she recovers quickly.

It is a long drawn out process ( having seen my sister injured in a RTA with broken bones -3rd party fault), and the solicitors don't make things easy...
Old 13 March 2008, 04:32 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

If she is not going to claim then there is little point in looking to compo. If you were wanting a figure to see if it would be worthwhile, then I got about £3k for injuries that caused pain for around 6 months, but did not stop me working.

If you have legal cover on your car policy, I would contact them for assistance.
Old 13 March 2008, 04:32 PM
Mew
Scooby Regular

a simple whiplash claim ignoring work pay would give around £1000-£1500.... adn people usually heal from whiplash 100%very quickly (with afew months)..

your claim is more long term and i expect to get near £15k maybe more
Old 13 March 2008, 04:34 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little-ginge
Ouch! I hope she recovers quickly.

It is a long drawn out process ( having seen my sister injured in a RTA with broken bones -3rd party fault), and the solicitors don't make things easy...
Don't get any ideas about claiming against me though I only asked you to hop around on your nose in muppets, its not my fault you were daft enough
Old 13 March 2008, 04:38 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Originally Posted by Luminous
Don't get any ideas about claiming against me though I only asked you to hop around on your nose in muppets, its not my fault you were daft enough

You nutter, loom

Seriously though it took almost 6 years IIRC for my sister to receive compensation - she will suffer for the rest of her life with her injuries though
Old 13 March 2008, 04:42 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Hope she gets better soon btw.[/QUOTE]

Cheers mate, I've never had to look after someone like this before - you wouldn't believe how much it makes you think about things, but at least she's still alive!! I had in mind about 10k myself too. I've not started the ball rolling as yet, she still doesn't want to talk about the crash, apparently she has got 3 years to put the claim in - so when she's ready I'll start the long process!!
Old 13 March 2008, 04:49 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

You are right with the 3 years deadline - make sure she keeps all paperwork relating to the accident, and any receipts for out of pocket costs ssuch as petrol to and from hospital appointments, and for prescription costs for any pain killers

were there any witnesses?
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

better to put it in now though whilst it is still fresh. I know with instances like this that it is likely to be with her for a long time but I reckon the sooner the better then she can move on.
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Seriously though it took almost 6 years IIRC for my sister to receive compensation - she will suffer for the rest of her life with her injuries though
I remember talking to you about this. I'm glad that there does appear to be a resolution to it in the end. Hopefully the compensation is somewhat sufficient to make up for the injuries she suffered.
Old 13 March 2008, 04:51 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
I remember talking to you about this. I'm glad that there does appear to be a resolution to it in the end. Hopefully the compensation is somewhat sufficient to make up for the injuries she suffered.
She received a settlement - whether it is truely sufficent to make up for injuries, we won't really know until she gets a bit older - and the residual effects from the injuries are truly known as her body undergoes the effects of aging
Old 13 March 2008, 04:57 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

You nutter, loom

sorry to here that mate, bloody awful!!
Old 13 March 2008, 06:27 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

It took 10 years of argy bargy to settle my claim when I was a passenger in a car in 1989. 3 weeks in hospital, 4 months out of school and 2 years of "degradation of intelligence" through a brain injury.......lol

Dave
Old 13 March 2008, 11:29 PM
scooby2!
Scooby Regular

My advice would be get a bloody good solicitor - I had to wait 6 years for my payout (and swop solicitors [ I had no win no fee tribe before - useless], which I was told was the wrong thing to do but was def right as I tripled my payout) but I got over £20k and I had no broken bones, but suffered trauma, etc.

If u want name of solicitor and company PM me for details.
Old 14 March 2008, 03:30 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by classic Subaru Si
howdi peeps - my girlfriend was involved in a quite serious car crash about 7 weeks ago, resulting in her breaking her arm in 3 places and having 3 10" scars where they put them in.
Where they put what in exactly?
Old 14 March 2008, 10:25 AM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
Where they put what in exactly?
Ha, sorry mate - 3 plates were put in!! 1 in the top part of her arm, and 2 in her forearm!
Old 18 March 2008, 08:03 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Right, Jen has been given some paperwork to fill out off the insurance company, via her boss (it was a company car). It's just a standard letter asking what happened, and who she thinks was at fault etc... Now, there is no mention of her name on this paperwork which I'm supprised at, but more worrying is that fact that she's not sure if her boss has put her on the policy at all! Does anyone know how this will effect her, or her compo claim??
Old 18 March 2008, 08:12 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Presuming that the accident was not her fault, she is still entitled to compensation, even if she didn't have valid insurance.
Old 18 March 2008, 08:23 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

It's going down as her fault - but only because she was knocked out and can't defend herself. The only whitness is lying through his teeth, and I'm presuming that the other driver and this whitness has had words with one another at some point. i told the copper this, but he isn't interested. but anyway, that's another story! Am I right in thinking that if she's only 3rd party and it goes down as being her fault, she not entitled to compensation??