Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dubbing of films to make them "PC"

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2008, 05:27 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Dubbing of films to make them "PC"

Is it only me that finds this kind of censorship really ******* annoying?

There you are - watching a great film. Totally immersed in the plot, emotion and energy of the storyline only to be brutally jarred by cack-handed editing that replaces a "rude" word with silence or, even worse, an impotent surrogate.

FFS - If I was going to be offended by the odd rude word I wouldn't be watching the gosh darn mother flipping film in the first place!!!

I gave up eating baby food many many years ago, I don't need to be spoonfed now. If I choose to take in something that has a bit of a kick then I want it to deliver the kick.

Welcome to the "Brave New World" of life in Great Britain. Not so Great and not so Brave.

Post Scriptum

Tony Bliar is a Big Fat Ninny and Gordon Brown is a mono-eyed, dimwitted, reactionary bureaucratic fcuktard.
Old 17 March 2008, 07:06 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw an American version of "Midnight Run" with the swearing dubbed out.
What a waste of time.
As for Mad Max version with American accent dubbed over the Aussie actors - I guess it was funny for about five minutes.
Old 17 March 2008, 10:03 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Let's not forget the Dambusters - dogs name changed as it was thought to be offensive
Old 17 March 2008, 10:26 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Let's not forget the Dambusters - dogs name changed as it was thought to be offensive
This was done at the 1954 launch in the US

I abhore censorship in all its forms. Thankfully we have a far more grown up attitude to swearing etc on the TV than we did in the 80's. More often than not, unless it is an old edit that has been on TV for ages, (like, say, Die Hard), then the "full" version will be the one shown on TV.
Old 17 March 2008, 10:27 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

YouTube - Unnessary Censorship
Old 17 March 2008, 11:03 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

I hate the way ITV chop Hollywood films to death to get rid of the language and violence, but are quite happy to include far worse in their own productions

Our next cat (we always have black ones) will be called Nigel in honour of that very film Paul
Old 17 March 2008, 11:08 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Default not work safe

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Our next cat (we always have black ones) will be called Nigel in honour of that very film Paul

Possibly the most un pc clip ever - from the Kentucky Fried Movie and contains the N word.

YouTube - Kentucky Fried Movie

censoring this would make it a bit of a non starter!

not work safe

Trending Topics

Old 17 March 2008, 11:08 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Drives me nuts, especially if you have seen the film before and are looking forward to a certain part. That they then cut
Old 17 March 2008, 11:11 AM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Drives me nuts.

Used to drive me mad cutting different versions of a feature for different areas. Taking bits out, putting them in again........
Old 17 March 2008, 01:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

A lot of people find swearing is offensive though. If people have to use obscene language in normal conversation it usually shows a lack of ability to communicate.

Nothing like a good blast when things go hopelessly wrong though!

Les
Old 17 March 2008, 01:28 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
A lot of people find swearing is offensive though.
Indeed, but, having been given fair warning (i.e. "this film has scenes containing offensive language" etc), then people can make the choice

What I cannot abide is people wanting to make the decision for me. I think people that actually want to decide what I can and cannot watch/listen to/play, almost certainly have some form of mental issue.
Old 17 March 2008, 01:38 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I can see why they edited Dambusters, I mean come on, even the most un-pc on here would blanch at calling there pet after a racial slur, I dont suppose it was acceptable even back then, almost like people were looking for ways to be extra racist for the sake of it. My grandma used to say something was n****r brown, she now says a brown item is er Nig, Chocolate brown.

I dont like the edit in ghostbusters where "This man has no dick " is turned into "This man has no twinkie", so lame.
Old 17 March 2008, 02:31 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Has this happened recently?
I've not seen a film in years that has had a word censored.
Maybe I've not noticed.
Old 17 March 2008, 02:41 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

On radio one there was one song that had the word god silenced in the chorus, so as not to offend other religions, but one extra played a song with the words allah and quran still in it, wtf is that about!

Is it only muslims thast get offended?
Old 17 March 2008, 02:44 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

One of our local radio stations even blanked the word 'drug' out of Nickelbacks (sp) latest single!
Old 17 March 2008, 06:10 PM
abbott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
Is it only muslims that get offended?

seems to be yes !!

BLOODY TERRORISTS..
Old 17 March 2008, 06:11 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tam the bam
One of our local radio stations even blanked the word 'drug' out of Nickelbacks (sp) latest single!
To be honest, they should have blanked out the entire single.
Old 17 March 2008, 06:21 PM
Reality
BANNED

They're remaking Blazing Saddles as a silent movie apparently.
Old 17 March 2008, 10:08 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reality
They're remaking Blazing Saddles as a silent movie apparently.

"Up yours, ******!"

M
Old 17 March 2008, 10:17 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by abbott
seems to be yes !!

BLOODY TERRORISTS..
It's a scientific fact a 136% of mulsims are terrorists.
Old 17 March 2008, 10:35 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
It's a scientific fact a 136% of mulsims are terrorists.
They all hate the west and its values, but only the extremist mad as a box of frogs, i hate life cos i cant get pi55ed or listen to music, islam or die ones do anything about it!

There were two in the shop the other day talking about the woman next door who murdered her child( had an abortion) and has the sheer audacity to have alcohol in the house, and how they hated her, i found myself listening to their conversation thinking **** off back to your sandpit then this is the west and we drink, dance and **** all the time cos we like to have fun, not pray to allah five times a day and blow up normal people!
Old 17 March 2008, 10:41 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They all hate the west and its values, but only the extremist mad as a box of frogs, i hate life cos i cant get pi55ed or listen to music, islam or die ones do anything about it!

There were two in the shop the other day talking about the woman next door who murdered her child( had an abortion) and has the sheer audacity to have alcohol in the house, and how they hated her, i found myself listening to their conversation thinking **** off back to your sandpit then this is the west and we drink, dance and **** all the time cos we like to have fun, not pray to allah five times a day and blow up normal people!
Cannot really agree with that, the Indians here are extrmeley hard working and are respectful of our culture. It is the pakastanis who seem to despise us
Old 17 March 2008, 10:45 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

I watched the classic "Italian Job" Sunday and even that has been dubbed in places to be PC
Old 17 March 2008, 10:49 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Cannot really agree with that, the Indians here are extrmeley hard working and are respectful of our culture. It is the pakastanis who seem to despise us
Fair enough, anyone who is respectful of our culture is fine by me, but 99% of the ones i have met or seen round here do not respect us one bit, its very much us and them mentality, which makes me wonder why they are here..................
Oops, silly me, its cos labour give them houses and benefits, and they know our government is soft so they want sharia law too!
Old 18 March 2008, 12:49 AM
abbott
Scooby Regular

i would have been very tempted to be held on racism charges to hear such comments , sorry but the ones who still have there allah views living in my ****ing country need to be stamped out or on !

them ****ers are taking over our country and they know it (im not racist 1 of my best friends is a ******) but they are extracting the urine !!
Old 18 March 2008, 12:09 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Its the bad N-word on my DVD.
Old 18 March 2008, 02:26 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Indeed, but, having been given fair warning (i.e. "this film has scenes containing offensive language" etc), then people can make the choice

What I cannot abide is people wanting to make the decision for me. I think people that actually want to decide what I can and cannot watch/listen to/play, almost certainly have some form of mental issue.
Yes but is it really necessary to actually include offensive and obscene language in the first place? Do you think it adds to the programme? It is not too difficult to write a strongly worded script without descending to those levels. It seems to me that it is just another way to lower standards and help to drag this country's morality further in to the gutter. No wonder we hear such bad language from young children!

J4CKO,

The colour "****** Brown" was an accepted name in the past and my grandad's house had the woodwork all done in that paint as horrible as it looked! Not surprising that it is not used now really. I think it is not offensive to mention the word as long as it is not being used to denigrate a black person. I certainly think it was going too far to censor it in the "Dambusters"

Les
Old 18 March 2008, 02:34 PM
abbott
Scooby Regular

the term "******" is still used on shoe polish also .
Old 18 March 2008, 02:38 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Yes but is it really necessary to actually include offensive and obscene language in the first place? Do you think it adds to the programme? It is not too difficult to write a strongly worded script without descending to those levels. It seems to me that it is just another way to lower standards and help to drag this country's morality further in to the gutter. No wonder we hear such bad language from young children!

I do think it necessary in the context of certain peices of work , yes.

And I don't beleive swearing is decsending to any level in particular. It's just a word.

the one way to give something power is to make it taboo. Take away the mystery, and the word "fvck" loses all of its power.

With regards to kids, the important thing is not to try an wrap them up and protect them from the big bad world of swearing, but for them to know the words, and when it is not appropriate to use them.

I have no doubt whatsoever that both my kids swear around friends etc. But they don't do it in front of me, and they don't do when it's inapproriate.
Old 18 March 2008, 07:50 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

There is a version of Blazing Saddles out there that has even got all the farts removed from the bean scene

Which makes the scene look totally ridiculous as its now just a few blokes sat round a fire lifting there ***** up

Quick Reply: Dubbing of films to make them "PC"