Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone any good at exam technique?

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2008, 01:59 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Anyone any good at exam technique?

I've got an exam in the April and I'm not great at exam technique.

What I tend to do is read through the coursework first. Then read through again making notes and then read through the lot again with the notes. The last couple have been relatively easy but this one is far more intense.

Theres a few calculations in the exam so I'm practicing these over and over plus covering past papers.

Theres a fair few exams for my job (I work in an IFA practice) I've done OK so far and only failed one exam once. Just not confident with my revising skills.
Old 04 March 2008, 02:05 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing Ive found particually helpful with is if there is something important that you are struggling to remember is read through it and take as much in as possible just before entering the exam room and the first thing you do on the test is use your scrap paper to write as much of this as you remember down, any mathematic equations etc. Then start your test and all being well the notes you made at the beginning will help you through the toughest part of the exam for you

Good luck
Old 04 March 2008, 02:06 PM
scooby2!
Scooby Regular

I found sticking "post its" all over the house with case law and statute points on them - helped me, as I was forever bumping into them as I went about cleaning the house, etc!!!

Drove everyone else batty for about 6 weeks before my exam but I found it helped me to remember them!!

Another thing someone suggested was to draw and learn spider diagrams of the salient points then when u get into exam draw these before u do anything else - helps settle u (instead of panicking as u read the exam paper!) and means u may remember more as u progress through ur exam paper itself! : )
Old 04 March 2008, 02:14 PM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack

Another techniques is to picture a particular place when learning particular info.
The more detailed the place is in your head the more info you can 'leave' there.

When you struggle to remember something think of the relevant place.
Old 04 March 2008, 02:42 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Best way to blag exams is try to obtain past papers.

Alternatively, try Mind Maps. Guy called Tony Buzan has written several books on the topic, it's a great way to remember things if you are pictorial.
Old 04 March 2008, 02:48 PM
jimmyv
Scooby Regular

Second vote for mind maps/spider diagrams very useful technique. Practice them before the exam on the topic then do one before you start writing.
I also found having music on in the back ground is useful for the similar reasons as what Dan W suggested, you can attach what your revising to the music/location.
Good luck anyway.
Old 04 March 2008, 02:59 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Also, when you are reading the questions - find the one that you can do most easily and answer that one first.

this gives you more confidence about the rest
Old 04 March 2008, 04:41 PM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

Read all the questions carefully before you start answering any of them. And I do mean carefully. It's amazing how many people see some "key word" in a question and start blethering on about that, without establishing, what the examiner is really asking.

As has already been said answer the questions with which you are most comfortable first. Allot the correct amount of time to each question. If you are allowed 3 hours to answer 6 questions, then spend no more than 1/2 an hour on each question. By not answering a question you lose ALL the marks allotted to that question. However any sort of answer will probably get you 30-50 % of the marks.

Just stay calm and do your best. Examiners are not trying to trick you. They want to see that you have covered the course work and that you understand it.

Good luck.
Old 04 March 2008, 05:30 PM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby2!
I found sticking "post its" all over the house with case law and statute points on them - helped me, as I was forever bumping into them as I went about cleaning the house, etc!!!

Drove everyone else batty for about 6 weeks before my exam but I found it helped me to remember them!!

Another thing someone suggested was to draw and learn spider diagrams of the salient points then when u get into exam draw these before u do anything else - helps settle u (instead of panicking as u read the exam paper!) and means u may remember more as u progress through ur exam paper itself! : )
Me too! (which side of the profession did you go into?) Post it notes about cases etc everywhere....especially in the bathroom (fave way to relax is a long soak in the bath).

Also, record onto tape some of the key points that you struggle to remember and listen to it as you drift off to sleep- know it sounds daft and I was skeptical at first but it really does work.
Old 04 March 2008, 06:26 PM
scooby2!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ritchie21
Me too! (which side of the profession did you go into?)
Unfortunately no side of the legal profession - did my studying for 3 year internal Land Registry Qualification - equivalent to degree but only as far as land law is concerned!!!

Enjoyed it tho, and did consider packing in work and going for a full law degree, but then thought I was a bit old, so gave up on the idea!!