Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

USA Holiday Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2008, 12:24 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USA Holiday Advice Please

I would appreciate some advice and comments from anyone who has had a holiday in the USA. My daughter and 2 pals (females) plan to go for a 3-week trip starting end of June. They are 22 and one of the girls has been to the US once before. It’s just for a holiday trip to enjoy the place and have a look around. Budget is tight but not quite backpacking – so decent hostels or cheap, but clean, hotels.

Current plan is New York, then LA then Vegas then home. They are not culture vultures but would rather visit the Rockies than Disney World for example.

Haven’t a clue where to go for best ticket prices or even know if it’s best to book all in advance or just get the basic return and play it by ear on arrival.

So advice welcome. Any must sees or things/places to avoid perhaps? Perhaps there are special deals on fly anywhere for 21 days – that sort of thing.

Many thanks, dl
Old 04 March 2008, 12:29 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Motels are cheap just to check into on a nightly basis (where ever you lay your hat sort of thing)
Flights are usually cheapest with the main carriers, Monarch etc but depends on preference.
Big place to see in 21 days, so choose a coast and work from there
Old 04 March 2008, 12:31 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Book it all seperately...package places will bend you over...

You could for example book an open jaw flight on virgin (who are pretty much the only airline to fly direct from vegas to the uk0 otherwise I wouldnt recommend them) - LHR-JFK/LAS-LHR , and then fly internally on AA: JFK-LAX-LAS (or rent a car from LA-vegas).
Plenty of cheaper airlines in the US- jetblue, southwest are two of the really cheap ones.
the advantage of booking seperately is you are paying for the internal flights in $, and there are less theiving taxes on flights in the US.

JFK-LAX is a direct flight I do reasonably often- but its a long one...
Old 04 March 2008, 12:35 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hotel chains like Best Western are fairly inexpensive, abundant and easy to make reservations at short notice. We've stayed at a few and found them more than sufficent. If they are on a budget then brunch at Dennys will fill them up for most of the day - it's like little chef but with portions the size of Hampshire.

Don't rule out the theme parks - Universal Studios in LA is a great day out.

Vegas - never been there, one of my relations impression was "it's like Blackpool, only worse" I guess each to their own!
Old 04 March 2008, 12:53 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

That's a great start - thanks. Yeah I questioned Vegas as I am sure there would be more rewarding places - like San Francisco perhaps?

Where's that "Sky Walk" place near to? Are Greyhounds still running?

Much appreciated d
Old 04 March 2008, 01:09 PM
andys
Scooby Regular

Also LA is not that nice
Old 04 March 2008, 01:15 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

David,
As far as I'm aware Greyhounds do still run, certainly do up here in cannuck land. Train might also be another possibility. I'm guessing this is the skywalk you're referring to, in which case it's Grand Canyon way (check the link, should have all the info needed)

I would strongly suggest that whatever travel/accommodation arrangements they make before going, they print out and take with them. US Immigration is very hot on knowing where you are going and staying, I'm not sure how they'd feel if you turn up and say you're just going to book things as you go, they typically want at least one confirmation of where you are staying. To be honest, I'd certainly have somewhere booked and a printed confirmation for the first and last night stay. This should help convince the humorless robot that you're not trying to stay longer in the best country in the world (sarcasm most definitely intended)
Old 04 March 2008, 01:18 PM
stineal
Scooby Regular

Vegas - never been there, one of my relations impression was "it's like Blackpool, only worse" I guess each to their own!
***** that is.

Vegas is an extraordinary place i have been 4 times its unbelievable and is the one place i always say visit at least once in your lifetime to anybody i talk to about usa, im not a gambler and you dont have to be to enjoy it.

like you say each to their own..

Beverly hills
Laguna beach
Hoover Dam
Hollywood

all good places to see while over that side of the usa.
Old 04 March 2008, 01:20 PM
stineal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andys
Also LA is not that nice
depends on where you go
Old 04 March 2008, 01:57 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't spend too long in Vegas, especially if they prefer to see sights.

A few nights is probably plenty.

San Fransisco is just an hour or so away, so would be a shame not to visit this too.
Old 04 March 2008, 06:07 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

certainly spend a few nights in vegas just to see the place and it is a good base to get to grand canyon and hoover dam.
if they plan on going to liberty island they will need to get a time pass off tinternet before leaving uk,or they will not be able to get up the statue.i found this out when i went,boat to ellis and liberty island can be sorted easily once there.
as said if in vegas try and go san francisco to visit alcatraz,but tell em to watch out for the bush man down in fishermans wharf,he is some barmy ***** who likes jumping out of bushes covered in bits of bush to try and scare the **** out of young women.

as for flights i used virgin not that much more expensive than others but a better service.
Old 04 March 2008, 06:08 PM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

Vegas is awesome!!!

Spent five nights there last year and cannot wait to go back!

Lots of shopping, fantastic shows (any of the Cirque du Soleil shows-they are mind blowing) and all close to Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon!

Also, Disney is fantastic - you turn into a big kid whenever you go in there!! Don't rule anything out - go with an open mind and just enjoy!
Old 04 March 2008, 06:32 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks again everyone - that really is very helpful

Looks like their diary is already filling up.

Thought there might have been some more comments about New York?

Comments re Greyhounds noted. I went to USA about 30 years ago - went for a few weeks and stayed for 2 years Greyhounds were a bit grim even then. d

PS. Yep that's the Skywalk. There was thread on SN about a year ago - would you/wouldn't you discussion. Pretty awesome though. I wonder if there is an actual video around? Have to search our old friend YouTube.