Another Labour own goal

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2008, 09:18 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Labour own goal

Is hypocrisy in politics unavoidable? - Telegraph

So, on Radio 4 this morning, they said how despite Jack Straw and Jacqui Smith along with various other cabinet ministers, whilst fully supporting Post Office closures in the commons, are joining demonstrations against closures in thier own constituencies.

Jacqui Smiths spokesman even said this morning that whilst Mrs Smith fully support the need fro closures, they perfectly right to represent thier local constituents in arguing a case for that particular post office to stay open.

So it's alright for some other part of the country to be deprived of a post office so long as you're alright Mrs Smith? Man, the Labour party just turn more and more Tory everyday

Who reckons that even one post office will close in a ministers constituency, or, a contituency with a very small majority
Old 28 February 2008, 09:24 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Any decent self respecting politican put in that situation would have to resign due to the conflict. How NL to come out with this spin. you cannot hunt with the houds and run with the foxes it just does not work.

Whilst you knock the tories it would have been good if NL had learned from the mistakes and sleaze of the last tory government after all they had long enough to do so. they had every opportunity to make a better britain instead of just lining up at the trough.

Last edited by The Zohan; 28 February 2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 28 February 2008, 09:30 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bunch of NIMBYs
Old 28 February 2008, 09:37 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

How come every post office you ever go in,big or small they are choc a block with people?

Why are they so keen to ditch them?
Old 28 February 2008, 09:42 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti
How come every post office you ever go in,big or small they are choc a block with people?

Why are they so keen to ditch them?
Inefficiency and probably don't make enough money to justify their existence, never mind the public service they offer.

I find it amazing the Government made the elderly get bank accounts for their pensions, but then, every Thursday, they queue up and withdraw it all anyway. If old people used debit cards like they were supposed to be used, then we wouldn't have half the queues!

Went into the PO for a passport form and a driving licence form yesterday. Passport forms are in the foyer, whilst driving licence ones are behind the counter! WTF? Have to queue up for an hour to pick up a form?? You're having a laugh.
Old 28 February 2008, 09:58 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

And there in lies the problem of party politics, the conflict between towing the party line and actually representing the views and wishes of your constituents. The sooner we move to an independant parliament the better. Can't see it happening though.
Old 28 February 2008, 10:03 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
And there in lies the problem of party politics, the conflict between towing the party line and actually representing the views and wishes of your constituents. The sooner we move to an independant parliament the better. Can't see it happening though.
Indeed, I hate party politics with a passion. But like you say it's not going to change any time soon.
Old 28 February 2008, 10:24 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

It seems reasonable to me for these Ministers to campaign for their own Post Offices and try and get them off the closure list but maintaining that some will have to go in the overall scheme of things.

What would have been a no-no if whoever finalises the list keeps open some Post Offices in "certain constituencies".

Personally I would be happy to subsidise more of them and retain the character of village life which is difficult to put a price on. dl
Old 28 February 2008, 01:00 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
If old people used debit cards like they were supposed to be used, then we wouldn't have half the queues!
I think most old people don't trust technology or banks and prefer to keep hold of their money.

I don't think we can blame them in todays society, ID theft, card skimming etc so I think it's a little unfair that we force them to adapt to the technology to make your life easier picking up a form.

The obvious answer is to put the forms where they are easily accessible without the need to queue with the old folk.

Old 28 February 2008, 02:47 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

As Pete said-Hypocrisy rules OK!

Les
Old 28 February 2008, 04:20 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
Inefficiency and probably don't make enough money to justify their existence, never mind the public service they offer.
Not necessarily true. There was a proposed closure up here where the couple that ran the Post Office offered to do it for free. I say proposed closure, as even with the offer of running the shop for free they still closed it

Its politics, plain and simple.
Old 28 February 2008, 04:41 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Nope. That's been banned as well .....

Dave

PS: NL are just like all politicians and after one thing. Money!
I'd love you to quantify that sweeping statement
Old 28 February 2008, 10:29 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Initially yes, politicians are in the business (Of lies) for their constituents. But then they get too used to the trip on the gravy train.
Old 01 March 2008, 01:41 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
I'd love you to quantify that sweeping statement
You seem to have an ingenuous trust in politicians!

Les
Old 01 March 2008, 05:14 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Politicians - lying, creepy, self-interested, self-promoting, spineless, wastes of oxygen.

IMO.

As it is, the only time I ever go into the post office is when I get my road tax, and I can do that online if I had too, so close them for all I care. Its not like our postal service has done anything than go downhill over the last 15 - 20 years.
Old 02 March 2008, 12:08 AM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack

Labour-hypochrisy? obviously