Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Does Clarkson know what he's on about?

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2008, 02:53 AM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Clarkson know what he's on about?

I know what some of you might think about such a question but to be honest is he really a driver? or even a valid car critic? I for a long time thought so until i began to think about what he does which is - - - not much. I got me coat and am running for cover.

Look out for a show I am putting together on youtube called bottom gear.
Old 23 February 2008, 03:13 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Well, he's been presenting and publishing car related media for 20+ years, is a qualified journalist and writer, and has driven possibly more cars than any other person on the planet. His style is deliberately antagonistic and controversial, but this is what has made him into the love/hate figure of todays motoring entertainment scene and his opinions are usually more entertaining than valid these days. He is by his own admission, an average to poor driver, but his years of practice in just about every car that has ever been worth driving mean he must be a bit better than the average tw@t on any British road. He is however bl00dy funny, regardless of his arrogant, bombastic, over-opinionated, bullish nature. A breath of fresh air on todays politically correct, limp, liberal, a$$-kissing, apathy generating TV.
Old 23 February 2008, 03:22 AM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

my moment of madness is now over. Clarkson, whilst being a git, is by far a worthy champion of the cause. alcohol and reason just dont mix. i am ****
Old 23 February 2008, 08:04 AM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

Who cares if he makes sense, he makes me laugh most of the time
Old 23 February 2008, 08:22 AM
hrness
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Well, he's been presenting and publishing car related media for 20+ years, is a qualified journalist and writer, and has driven possibly more cars than any other person on the planet. His style is deliberately antagonistic and controversial, but this is what has made him into the love/hate figure of todays motoring entertainment scene and his opinions are usually more entertaining than valid these days. He is by his own admission, an average to poor driver, but his years of practice in just about every car that has ever been worth driving mean he must be a bit better than the average tw@t on any British road. He is however bl00dy funny, regardless of his arrogant, bombastic, over-opinionated, bullish nature. A breath of fresh air on todays politically correct, limp, liberal, a$$-kissing, apathy generating TV.
here,here well put, even the other half and her daughter watch it with me, best programe on air. the top gear specials are top class. and they often stick up a finger to the p.c brigade.
Old 23 February 2008, 08:27 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

If you watch the very old episodes of Top Gear, he certainly was a 'proper' reviewer: mpg, smooth ride all of that.

But in recent years he has just turned into an entertainer. I certainly don't watch Top Gear to learn anything about current cars that I could possibly buy. It just amuses me for an hour and is one of the better television programs.

Steve
Old 23 February 2008, 08:28 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

As regards the new Impreza he knows what he is on about - he said it was poor and I bet it is.
Old 23 February 2008, 08:36 AM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

Agreed

IIRC the reason he got into motoring journalism whilst at University was because he didn't have his own set of wheels. He realised he'd get around if he told the local dealers that he was 'reviewing' their new models
Old 23 February 2008, 09:46 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

he knows what he is doing

weather or not he knows what he is talking about is a totally different matter altogether LOL
Old 23 February 2008, 09:50 AM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I think he talks a lot of sense unlike his counterparts on Fifth Gear!
He has been in the business long enough to know what he's talking about and from what i have witnessed on tv his driving skills are pretty good too.
Top Gear all the way
Nik.
Old 23 February 2008, 09:52 AM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

More to the point why were you thinking of Jeremy after a few drinks

Originally Posted by Dan W
my moment of madness is now over. Clarkson, whilst being a git, is by far a worthy champion of the cause. alcohol and reason just dont mix. i am ****
Old 23 February 2008, 09:52 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

The chances of me owning the latest Ferrari, Lambo et al are at best, pretty bloody slim so to be honest, I'm not fussed about an accurate review. I don't care about the seats, the mpg or luggage space. Seeing someone hoon around in one does entertain me however.

When it comes to what I can afford, I'm still not fussed about what anyone else says because what suits them might not suit me. To be honest, if you bought a car purely on a review (by anyone) you'd have to be some sort of mug!

As for JC's driving, I used to think he was a bit pants but since the show moved to the airfield it seems to have come on quite a bit. I should think having a tame racing driver on hand would help though!
Old 23 February 2008, 10:40 AM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
As regards the new Impreza he knows what he is on about - he said it was poor and I bet it is.
Evo seem to like it quite a bit (the STI anyway), and I'd take their word over JC's any time...
Old 23 February 2008, 11:21 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

He admits that he is not a very capable driver when it comes to car control and I reckon most of what we see on the airfield is being driven by someone else anyway. His mechanical knowledge does not seem to be that good either unless it is all part of the act.

He is a very good presenter however and despite his sometimes deliberately irritating pronouncements his ability to present a non car programme is really very good indeed.

Les
Old 23 February 2008, 11:31 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I couldn't have written it any better myself
Old 23 February 2008, 11:46 AM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
More to the point why were you thinking of Jeremy after a few drinks
LMHO! I'm dying of shame here. I went out for a few pints and ended up watching youtube clips. God knows why I criticised Clarkson.

He is a great entertainer and one of a rare breed - that being a straight talking guy.

There should be some sort of switch on my computer that prevents me from logging on when sh+tfaced
Old 23 February 2008, 12:03 PM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

LMHO! I'm dying of shame here. I went out for a few pints and ended up watching youtube clips. God knows why I criticised Clarkson.

He is a great entertainer and one of a rare breed - that being a straight talking guy.

There should be some sort of switch on my computer that prevents me from logging on when sh+tfaced
But that would spoil our fun
Old 23 February 2008, 12:06 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I know what some of you might think about such a question but to be honest is he really a driver? or even a valid car critic? I for a long time thought so until i began to think about what he does which is - - - not much. I got me coat and am running for cover.

Look out for a show I am putting together on youtube called bottom gear.
How do you become knowledgable about dwhat makes a good car? By driving lots of them.

Now, Clarskon has probably driven and experienced more cars than 99.99% of the public.

He can also string a sentence together in a quite entertaining way.

I would say this makes him qualified as a car critic.
Old 23 February 2008, 12:07 PM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

any spare flame suits going? Mine is shot to pieces
Old 23 February 2008, 12:15 PM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

Cool