Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

anyone had an epidural for sciatica?

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2008, 04:49 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone had an epidural for sciatica?

when they say it's a tempory relief thing, how tempory?

i had one on monday and i'm getting twinges back down my leg already

i've had a read up and some reports are talking about steroids in the injection starting to work 2-3 weeks after the op. to be honest i don't know what was in the injection, i was told pain killer and anti inflamatory liquid (is this the steroid?)

don't get me wrong, it's a vast improvement over the pain i was in before the injection, i was just expecting longer relief. it's been a great 4 days though

anyone got any pointers?

ta
Old 08 February 2008, 04:58 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

I've had three... pain blocker is all they are, my first lasted 4 days, second 3 and the final one about 12 hours!

The trouble is that as you can't feel the injury you actually do things that tend to make it worse, but you can't feel it.... however that all changes (once the injection wears off).

The quacks like to thing it allows the inflamed tissue to 'calm down' but I've yet to see any evidence of this... EVER, on ANYONE

Best of luck
Old 08 February 2008, 05:08 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
I've had three... pain blocker is all they are, my first lasted 4 days, second 3 and the final one about 12 hours!

The trouble is that as you can't feel the injury you actually do things that tend to make it worse, but you can't feel it.... however that all changes (once the injection wears off).

The quacks like to thing it allows the inflamed tissue to 'calm down' but I've yet to see any evidence of this... EVER, on ANYONE

Best of luck
was hoping you'd post up seeing as you're my regular online consultant i was going to PM you but no-one knows if you're on or off here nowadays

thought as much with the injection! got an appointment with the consultant in 7 weeks time, see what happens then. i do get the feeling it's leading up to the inevitable operation though
Old 08 February 2008, 09:28 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am having my fist back jab on the 29th March. it will be the first of three. you blokes are wingers
Old 08 February 2008, 10:05 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
i am having my fist back jab on the 29th March. it will be the first of three. you blokes are wingers
fist back jab that's either a bit filthy or you're a boxer

i had no problem with the injection itself, i wasn't expecting to be sedated so that was a bit of a shock (not great with needles) but the nurses were bloody brilliant

your problem is different to mine but are you having these jabs within a set time?
Old 09 February 2008, 09:46 AM
Jamie
Super Muppet

A friend of mine is getting the jab this week something to do with a blood clot in her back
Old 09 February 2008, 09:57 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sarasquares

Try having a 6" boning knife rammed down your back, then you'll have something to whinge about.

Worst injection for me was an iv, because the doc couldn't hit my vein so it took 6 attempts ffs.

You could try devils claw, thats a good nsaid and very little in the way of side effects, id chase it up to see what it doesn't get along with first though.
Old 09 February 2008, 11:08 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

My other half had an epidural in the base of his spine for a prolapsed disc which was pressing on hissciatic nerve. He had tried all the other options such as rest and painkillers.. IIRC they said it can take a couple of weeks for the full effect to be felt - if not a further epidural can be given

Unfortunately, it didn't work - so he had to undergo a discectomy where they trimmed his disc - nearly 2 years later and he still suffers from problems

Hope you get some further relief soon!!
Old 10 February 2008, 08:37 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

back problems can be relieved/ cured by hanging upside down , then joining a gym for moderate exercise.