De-Soldering help

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2008, 09:58 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default De-Soldering help

Having a few problems

I have a Dell Latitude D610 Laptop that the power socket has sort of become seperate (the insides anyway) so now it wont run on power, only on the battery and it will no longer charge up

Anyway I took it apart thinking I may just be able to re-solder the broken bits ,however the power socket is a bit more terminal that fixing the joints (I thought it was just dry joints at first) so I ordered a new power socket from ebay for a fiver with the intention of de-soldering the old one, and soldering the new one in place

However I have tried my plunger and braid and neither seems to want to remove the solder, or at least enough of it to allow me to remove the socket

Anyone got any tips on how I can remove the old socket without causing any damage, I am wary of leaving the soldering iron on too long incase heat damage occurs to the other components
Old 09 February 2008, 10:28 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

You need a bigger tip, or a hotter iron.

failing that, a good pair of snips, / blade and snip/ nibble the solder away

your going to get the puppy hot when you resolder it, so dont be two afraid.

a gas iron may be a better bet

mart
Old 09 February 2008, 10:31 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Just double check what you have attached to it It is always a real shame when you do an amazing job, only to find that you have melted away half of kit while doing it
Old 09 February 2008, 11:01 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

There isnt a lot of room there for a bigger tip, but I do have a few spare tips

It wont get as hot (or at least not for as long) re-soldering the new part than the old part, even the braid started burning my fingers

Iron was on max temp, but then it still might not have been quite hot enough

Loomy I know what you mean, when I turned the board back round I noticed one of the diodes was sideways, so had to resolder that back in position
Old 09 February 2008, 11:18 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Check the metalwork hasn't been twisted once inserted into the board, hard to comment without a pic...

HTH

DunxC
Old 09 February 2008, 11:34 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Get some heat into those pins with a heatgun, warm that whole area through, there's probably a large ground plane through that part of the board.
Old 10 February 2008, 12:30 AM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Did you put some solder on the tip of the iron before applying the tip to the joint you wish to de-solder?
Kevin
Old 10 February 2008, 12:50 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I'll try and get a pic of it close up, it does look like some the pins maybe twisted slightly, I did try and pinch them tighter but it didnt seem to make much difference, there also didnt seem to be a great deal of solder on them to begin with

There are 4 outer pins (on the metal casing) then two centre pins, and then 3 pins at the back which carry the main power

I did put a small amount of solder on the tip of the iron to start with
Old 10 February 2008, 01:04 AM
hectic
Scooby Regular

this is something i have to do to my laptop every so often Steve... bloke on e bay has become a Power Seller due to the fact of me buying by bulk I reckon.
have now become a 'dab-hand' at just taking a few of the screws out (instead of stripping the whole bleddy thing) and reaching in with the iron to (de/re) solder the relative bits..
in fact last time was yesterday!
Old 10 February 2008, 02:06 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

LOL

Sadly on this laptop its a complete strip down of everything, Donna's laptop is the same

It is something I have done on the odd occasion for other people, but this Dell of mine just seems to be a nightmare

And to top it all, one of the kids stood on my 2 week old works laptop and shattered the screen, its a 15.4" WSXGA+ screen too
Old 10 February 2008, 08:32 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Sometimes with sockets like this it is easier to heat the solder on one side, wiggle the socket slightly, then the ones on the other side, wiggle that up a bit and repeat until you can get the whole thing out.

They are a pain to remove as you cant heat all the pins at once and pull it out in one go. Desoldering braid is OK, but on power sockets it often wont remove enough if there is a lot of solder on there.

Other option if possible is to cut the pins if you can get to them, take off the socket, then heat and remove each pin at a time.
Old 10 February 2008, 09:04 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

If you don't have any luck de soldering it then try bridging the broken part with wires (solder on the wire) and then reseat the power socket or try to glue it in place.

I had the same problem with my old Tosh laptop, the power connector broke loose inside.