Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Gluing motorbike faring

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2007, 09:24 PM
Albert47
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gluing motorbike faring

The inevitable has happened after 6 months of owning my quad,"Ive rolled it".
"Are you OK?" i hear you all say "Im fine" even the ground where i rolled is fine!!

The issue: My quad isnt ok!!! I,ve snapped the faring in about 5 places, and to buy a new set is £250 and as it is a nats foreskin this side of xmas im not flush!! Im attempting to repair it myself but im not sure what to use. Ive tried a fibre glass repair kit but it is just not bonding with plastic. The plastic type is, so ive been told ABS Plastic.

Could someone advise me on what to use, all the normal glues evo stick, arlidite are far too brittle.

Thanks
Adam
Old 29 December 2007, 09:41 PM
Eddie1980
Scooby Regular

By no means an expert in this, but my dad used to run a plastics company years ago and there is somethings I have not quite forgotten.

You really need to make sure it is ABS plastic as your options vary depending on the type, if its faring there is a high chance it is ABS as its flexible and workable and ideal for this job.

You can hot weld it with a hot air welder and ABS rod, however you will need to find someone friendly with the kit as buying your own wont be practical!

Alternatively you could try a solvent based bond, something like methylene chloride should work it is a bit nasty to use as it is a chlorinated hydrocarbon with a small mobile molecule. You'll need to research this well though!!

Acetone might also work, but less well.

Your best making a solvent cement by melting some scrap ABS into the solvent till it get to a consistency that seems right, then build it onto the hidden side of the faring in generous amounts over and around the damaged area.

That said I ain't a professional so someone else's advice is welcome.
Old 30 December 2007, 09:53 AM
bruce
Scooby Regular

I repaired a fairing on an old rd350lc a few years back. I used an old soldering iron and some wire mesh, the sort that you strengthen fibre glass joins with. I cut a strip of mesh abut 2cm wide the length of the crack and melted it into the plastic with the iron. It wasnt pretty on the soldered side but was good enough and stong enough to be given a light filling and sanding on the painted side.

Hope this helps.
Old 30 December 2007, 10:08 AM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

I repaired an abs bumper by useing a blowtorch to heat up either side of the crack and squidge the plastic back together with the heated tip of an old screwdriver. I then got a chunk of plastic from another old abs bumper i had lying and melted it with the blowtorch. I dripped the molten plastic all over the rear of the still hot join to strengthen it.
Old 30 December 2007, 11:34 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

A good motorcycle shop will stock a plastics repair kit which is not cheap but will do the job properly.

I used one in the past and you couldn't see the joins!

Les
Old 30 December 2007, 12:54 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've used JDweld in the past - costs about £7 and sets hard enough to drill
Old 30 December 2007, 04:11 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

If you arent bothered what it looks like, uses a small drill either side of the crack, every few mm and thread small tie wraps through leaving the fastening side out of sight, not pretty but amazingly strong.

If you aren't flush, sell the Quad, thus getting some money and avoiding the Spinal Unit.
Old 30 December 2007, 04:23 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Check in bike mags there are loads of glues available for ABS.. Problem is ABS is a **** to bond.. Body shops sell products for repairing bumpers, I've seen it used successfully but its quite an art!
Old 30 December 2007, 05:52 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Plastic Welding

I had my rear spoiler plastic welded by a company who repair plastic water pipes (they do motorbike fairings repairs as a side line too )
Old 31 December 2007, 05:40 PM
Albert47
Scooby Regular

Jacko!!!Of course Im bothered what it looks like!!!!! If I wasnt, I would of selotaped it together! he he

I managed to melt the plastic together on the inside using one of those 100w soldering gun. Then just run a small amount of pipe weld same as (JDWELD) down the hairline crack in the top side. Worked a treat!!!!!!

Im gonna put some new graphics over the top.

I think a lesson has been learn't got a bit too cocky with the power slides hence, rolling the quad.

Thanks for the advice guys

Adam
Old 31 December 2007, 06:15 PM
mike2.5subaru
Scooby Regular

Default how to prevent future damage

Inspect the bike/quad and assess what way the plastics are likely to bend during a crash/flip ect. warm up the plastic with a hot air gun/hairdrier and when its hot/soft (not melted )start to bend the mudgurd/whatever in that direction,, creating a weakness so it will bend instead of snapping in the cold weather. most new off road bikes are purchased in the winter and on the first crash or two they snap the plastics, when they replace them and then crash in the spring the plastics tend to bend and never snap again, wrongly blaming the cheap, but identical quality original plastics.
***This worked for me. It dose NOT mean it WILL work for YOU*** Happy new year