Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

No more moaning from Lorry drivers or farmers on fuel - protests flop....

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2007, 12:03 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No more moaning from Lorry drivers or farmers on fuel - protests flop....

Well I cant believe that no one has turned up at the fuel protests!?

I have just watched Sky news and it said that there were more press and camera men than there were protestors!

If nothing happens today or soon then I for one will not be feeling sorry for any road hauliers or farmers who go bankrupt, it looks like they prefered to go out shopping instead of making themselves known
Old 15 December 2007, 12:07 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

what can i say britain is a joke a complete laughing stock ive just seen it and also the strikes in italy /france they have brung their countries to a halt and their government is crapping themselves.
Old 15 December 2007, 12:09 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Road hauliers will not go bankrupt. They will simply pass the added fuel costs on to the customers.

It's like saying poor BA, they are getting having to pay more to ferry us around the skys!

Some bloke was moaning last night that he had to stop using his big lorry and start using his smaller more economical one. Duh, why were you not using that anyway! Great business mind.
Old 15 December 2007, 12:15 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
Some bloke was moaning last night that he had to stop using his big lorry and start using his smaller more economical one. Duh, why were you not using that anyway! Great business mind.
Old 15 December 2007, 12:19 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Apparently it was kept small as not to ruin peoples christmas and bigger ones are on the way. I am not convinced
Old 15 December 2007, 12:19 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Road hauliers will not go bankrupt. They will simply pass the added fuel costs on to the customers.

It's like saying poor BA, they are getting having to pay more to ferry us around the skys!

Two reasons why thats not strictly true:

1. The haulier may have a contract with someone and can not pass on the cost of fuel increases.

2. Foreign Hauliers with HUGE tanks can do the work instead as they dont have to buy the fuel at UK prices.

net result = going out of business for some UK hauliers.
Old 15 December 2007, 12:22 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea but did anyone really expect a mass fuel protest in this country.look at the last one.the french were out there blocking everything off,and here we were in Britain,with our little poxy blockades.no more than a handfull of people protesting dotted around the country..thats the differance with the rest of europe compared to us,they wont let their goverments walk all over them.we will all just carry on being the well behaved Reserved english man/woman.have a little moan and keep taking it on the chin..until this goverment has taken every last penny from us,and were all gonna have to travel around in a horse and cart,and live in houses made of hay.
Old 15 December 2007, 12:25 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

You can have number 1, I don't know how these things work.

Number 2. By the time they have paid for a ferry crossing and driven 100-200 miles to the pick up....then that doesn't work. A ferry crossing for a lorry isn't £100.

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
Two reasons why thats not strictly true:

1. The haulier may have a contract with someone and can not pass on the cost of fuel increases.

2. Foreign Hauliers with HUGE tanks can do the work instead as they dont have to buy the fuel at UK prices.

net result = going out of business for some UK hauliers.
Old 15 December 2007, 12:30 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

now we signed upto the EU treaty in Lisbon soon all taxes will be harmonized anyway
Old 15 December 2007, 12:33 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

It was reported on the news this morning that Gordon Brown was last seen laughing his b*****ks off!!!!

FFS
Old 15 December 2007, 12:43 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by The Chief
It was reported on the news this morning that Gordon Brown was last seen laughing his b*****ks off!!!!

FFS

Of course he is that fat piece of **** is robbing us blind and no one can stop him.
Old 15 December 2007, 01:03 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Of course he is that fat piece of **** is robbing us blind and no one can stop him.

Not for at least two years...
Old 15 December 2007, 02:09 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Not defending Brown's mob here, but other than a bit of extra VAT which is collected due to it being a percentage they aren't the ones responsible for majority of the recent price hike.

The oil companies have put the price up dramtically and hence I hope you will direct your attentions towards them as well as they 'are robbing us blind' too.

I know your defince will be 'but the tax is too high' and if so why weren't you protesting 12 months ago when it was just as high.

Finally can somone point me to the policy document published by Cameron's mob that says they will cut the fuel duty when they get elected. No, I don;t think you can.

Face facts, fuel is a cash cow that every party knows they can milk as much as they like. Get used to £1 a litre or more as now the baririer has been broken it won't be going back down too far no matter what happens IMO
Old 15 December 2007, 04:39 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

sorry but LOL

paid £1.15.9 to fill the scoob up the other morning = couldn't give a toss if it costs me £2/3 extra per week, i am not a person living beyond my own means.

the protests were always going to be a flop, anybody with half a brain cell knew that, i would like to know how many people in this thread (and no doubt the other 13213123 threads we will get on the subject) ACTUALLY PROTESTED TODAY THEMSELVES???

i bet none of them, much easier to sit at home and winge about somebody else not doing anything about it LMFAO
Old 15 December 2007, 04:45 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

It was great not having to queue up for motion lotion today thanks to the flop of the "protests".
I likened their actions to pissing into a force ten gale when I heard they planned to protest.
I was one who chose to shop rather than protest and I got some lovely F1's on the car too for some splendid winter grip
I dont moan about fuel prices - no point... If they reduce tax on fuel they'll get it from us some other way so it makes no odds to me really
I hope you all made better use of your day than those who spent it freezing their bits off outside a refinery in the name of futility
Old 15 December 2007, 05:03 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...overnment.html
Old 15 December 2007, 05:08 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Oi poster thief !!
Old 15 December 2007, 05:47 PM
rob878
Scooby Regular

I remember reading somewhere (which is always dangerous) that a lot of hauliers were told (threatened) that if they were seen to be protesting then there hauliers license wouldn't be renewed.

I believe that this was actually more to do with London traffic legislation, however i've had a few already and can't find the article.
Old 15 December 2007, 05:56 PM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
The oil companies have put the price up dramtically and hence I hope you will direct your attentions towards them as well as they 'are robbing us blind' too.
The high oil price has nothing to do with the oil companies themselves; it's down to speculation on the stock market due to tensions in the middle east and various other perceived threats to supply. Oil companies don't set any prices: the stock market does.
Old 15 December 2007, 06:03 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

Have vegetable oil sales increased???
Old 15 December 2007, 06:12 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by mattvortex
Have vegetable oil sales increased???
Vegetable oil fuels database

This site is handy, I found vegetable oil for 68p a litre although I would never ever ever consider filling my old 1.9 diesel clio with it
Old 15 December 2007, 07:45 PM
stevie boy
Scooby Regular

You can have number 1, I don't know how these things work.

Number 2. By the time they have paid for a ferry crossing and driven 100-200 miles to the pick up....then that doesn't work. A ferry crossing for a lorry isn't £100.
on point 1, the larger companies will have the price of fuel built into the contract, small / owner driver set ups don't have the bargaining power so more chance of taking the hit. fella i know hasn't had a rate rise in best part of 2 years afaik, i wouldn't of been hanging around that long.

point 2, they'll come over loaded, so the crossing and juice to get here (an more than likely to get back aswell) has been paid for. if they filled up before the crossing they've now got up to 1500L of cheaper diesel which will last all week, to under cut uk firms doing uk domestic work. before picking up a return load back to were they've come from, having not contributed to use the road network. that's why its not a level playing field and therefore not fair.

stevie
Old 16 December 2007, 05:22 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordretsudo
The high oil price has nothing to do with the oil companies themselves; it's down to speculation on the stock market due to tensions in the middle east and various other perceived threats to supply. Oil companies don't set any prices: the stock market does.
Actually it has more to do with the actual demand being higher than the projected demand, but my point is that the oil companies control how much oil is produced and how quickly they can alter production to meet demand if they indeed choose to do so and this is what affects the price and hence the recent increases, not the government.