Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Health insurance

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2007, 07:40 PM
DLP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Health insurance

I,m just in the process of searching round for some quotes for health insurance,anybody recommend any decent companies out there before i start the task of filling out online forms. any feedback appreciated guys.
Old 18 October 2007, 08:50 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Have a look on Money Saving Expert: Consumer Revenge - Credit Cards, Shopping, Bank Charges, Cheap Flights and more, there's some real good advice on all things monetary.

Also Cheap loans | mortgages | credit cards | home & car insurance - moneysupermarket UK
Old 19 October 2007, 12:03 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

I sell insurance for a living and have yet to find health insurance that is worth the premiums you pay. If you are paying less that £100 per month for a family of 4 you can be sure that there are so many clauses they will never pay out. You can get good policies for around £160.00-£180.00 per month for a family, but you would be better saving the money and paying for private treatment if you need it.
Old 19 October 2007, 12:08 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
I sell insurance for a living and have yet to find health insurance that is worth the premiums you pay. If you are paying less that £100 per month for a family of 4 you can be sure that there are so many clauses they will never pay out. You can get good policies for around £160.00-£180.00 per month for a family, but you would be better saving the money and paying for private treatment if you need it.
It depends of course. As with all insurance you are playing a numbers game. My wife had (has unfortunately) a brain tumour and the cost of scans, the operation, check-ups and after care far exceeded the cost of the premiums for the next 50 years...

Steve
Old 19 October 2007, 12:19 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
It depends of course. As with all insurance you are playing a numbers game. My wife had (has unfortunately) a brain tumour and the cost of scans, the operation, check-ups and after care far exceeded the cost of the premiums for the next 50 years...

Steve

A critical illness policy would have cost a fraction of the amount for a similar overall benefit. Also, severe illnesses are treated urgently on the NHS. If you need a hip replacement expect to wait several years while a personal policy might approve the treatemnt in a few days.

Best of luck to your wife. I am sure you would rather have no claim on any policy
Old 19 October 2007, 12:24 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Last time I looked I couldnt find anyone to insure me, at least not a proper covered policy

the only one I could find (bearing in mind this was several years ago) wanted 120 quid a month (my mortgage was only 290 at the time) and wouldnt cover me for critical illness or death, and I couldnt actually work out what cover I was getting (bizarre really considering it was a LIFE insurance policy that refused to cover DEATH)

Now, I dont bother I dont have insurance, but I do have a death in service benefit
Old 19 October 2007, 12:35 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
Last time I looked I couldnt find anyone to insure me, at least not a proper covered policy

the only one I could find (bearing in mind this was several years ago) wanted 120 quid a month (my mortgage was only 290 at the time) and wouldnt cover me for critical illness or death, and I couldnt actually work out what cover I was getting (bizarre really considering it was a LIFE insurance policy that refused to cover DEATH)

Now, I dont bother I dont have insurance, but I do have a death in service benefit
[spots sales opportunity]
PM me if you want some life cover. (unless you have had a heart attack in the last 6 months, in which case it might be a big ask )
Old 19 October 2007, 12:49 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

LOL, no no heart attack ever

main reason I am/was considered a risk was due to having the big C twice, two years apart, but it was 5 years after I tried to get cover and couldnt

tbh since then Ive never bothered looking into getting any cover again
Old 19 October 2007, 12:58 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

You should be able to get cover 5 years afterwards. You more than likely wouldn't ever get critical illness cover, but I wouldn't think that life cover would even have a rating after 5 years. The only person I haven't been able to get cover for after a reasonable period of time was a guy who had tried to commit suicide 14 times in the last 20 years. I am no actuary, but I can understand their reasoning in this case
Old 19 October 2007, 08:28 PM
DLP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
Does this price vary much if it is just for two adults,as opposed to a family of four?
Old 20 October 2007, 09:57 PM
Merv
Scooby Regular

I have been with these for about 3 years and found them to be very good WPA Health Insurance - Private Medical Insurance plans for you, your family and your company
Old 21 October 2007, 10:27 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DLP
Does this price vary much if it is just for two adults,as opposed to a family of four?

Yeah - Depends on your age and medical history to start with. Policies start from about £15.00 per month for a healthy 18 year old
Old 21 October 2007, 07:12 PM
DLP
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all the info guys.