Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

MTB'ers I need to find a couple of bits

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2007, 08:38 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MTB'ers I need to find a couple of bits

Like decent chuncky grips and a decent saddle. The grips currently on the bike are just too thin (about 3mm thick) and as for the saddle, lets just say I am a little saddle sore, it digs in on the inside of the legs.

Bikes a 2008 GT avalanche 2.
Old 01 October 2007, 08:45 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends, how much you willing to spend?

These grips are great, you have to get the angle right though.

Ergon GP1 Performance Series - Standard Grips 17.99 GBP Free P & P to UK & Ireland, Cheap International Rates. Next day delivery from Europes Largest Online Bikeshop.

After trying quite a few saddles this ive found the most comfortable

SDG Bel Air RL Titanium Saddles 49.99 GBP Free P & P to UK & Ireland, Cheap International Rates. Next day delivery from Europes Largest Online Bikeshop.
Old 01 October 2007, 09:19 PM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

Another vote here for the Ergon grips, I'm using the R1M ( have tiny bar ends attached ) incredibly comfortable...
Old 02 October 2007, 08:40 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Grips, I use Race Face Good 'n Evil.

Saddle, ah that's the Holy Grail. One man's meat is another man's bruised meat
I have been through millions of seats with my road bike, but with the mtb geometry I am not so fussy. I am using a WTB (unknown model) which I have found to be good, but that's for me. The only way is to keep trying until you find something that suits

As it's a new bike make sure it is set up the way you want (bars/bar height/stem reach and angle/crank length/seatpost height/saddle rail reach) before blaming the saddle

Also make sure the saddle is dead horizontal - if it's digging in you may have it a bit nose high.
Old 02 October 2007, 08:49 AM
2000 sport
Scooby Regular

Grips ~ I use white 24/7 loc-ons, would reccomend them !

I use a Selle Italia Flite, but my saddle isn't really built for comfort.. Sounds like yours maybe too wide, specialized and Fizik make some very comfy saddles.. best thing is to go and try a few at your LBS

Make sure you get some good quality biking shorts - Endura Humvees are great !
Old 02 October 2007, 09:02 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
Like decent chuncky grips and a decent saddle. The grips currently on the bike are just too thin (about 3mm thick) and as for the saddle, lets just say I am a little saddle sore, it digs in on the inside of the legs.

Bikes a 2008 GT avalanche 2.
This month's Singletrack has a test og grips, which included the diameter. I'm afer some wider ones.

saddles are too personal to recommend really, people like the Spec one I have, but I was really saddle-sore after 3 laps of Sleepless, despite 5" of rear bounce!
sounds like you need slimmer one anyway. maybe try moving it back slightly and sitting further forward, just to test of it's the width that's the problem. Don't do it for too long if you value fatherhood though!
Old 02 October 2007, 10:54 AM
Scoobydid
Scooby Regular

Your saddle should be a WTB V which I have with no problems. Saying that everyones **** is different!! Have you tried some padded shorts? There is a school of thought that says you just need to grin and bear saddle sore for the first few rides and the scar tissue that results will be tougher and not so prone to the soreness.... if you can stand it

With regard to grips, I'd just nip down to your LBS and feel what they are like. Personally I wouldn't use the ones with integral bar ends if you ride singletrack as I have been pulled off my bike a few times when vines or brambles have hooked around them.

Andy
Old 02 October 2007, 11:34 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobydid
Your saddle should be a WTB V which I have with no problems. Saying that everyones **** is different!! Have you tried some padded shorts? There is a school of thought that says you just need to grin and bear saddle sore for the first few rides and the scar tissue that results will be tougher and not so prone to the soreness.... if you can stand it

With regard to grips, I'd just nip down to your LBS and feel what they are like. Personally I wouldn't use the ones with integral bar ends if you ride singletrack as I have been pulled off my bike a few times when vines or brambles have hooked around them.

Andy
It is, judging from where I'm sore I'm having problems just where the saddle flairs out.

Either that, or my **** aint as pert as I thought
Old 02 October 2007, 12:55 PM
ChrisB

Originally Posted by Scoobydid
Andy
Indeed. I've got two WTB Rocket Vs. If I've not been out for a few weeks they feel like a razor blade. Get a few rides in and it's much better.
Old 02 October 2007, 01:03 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

OK I'll give it a few more rides and ride in jogging bottoms rather than the Azonic pants I have.

Grips deffo need changing though.
Old 02 October 2007, 01:16 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

If you ride in jogging bottoms, they will move around and with the friction you may as well line them with sandpaper!
Old 02 October 2007, 01:27 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Never had a problem riding in joggers or jeans for 20 years. We're only talking 3.5 mile trips.
Old 02 October 2007, 01:42 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

Never had a problem riding in joggers or jeans for 20 years. We're only talking 3.5 mile trips.
Ah, boy's cycling
Old 02 October 2007, 01:47 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Nope, commuting to w*rk
Old 02 October 2007, 01:55 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL - my commute is 140 miles round trip - i'd have to leave the office to get home before i'd left to get there!!