Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: breakdown cover who are you with?
AA
35.00%
RAC
25.00%
Green Flag
5.00%
Bank Account
30.00%
Insurance company
5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Breakdown cover

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2007, 08:54 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Breakdown cover

My breakdown renewal is coming up and i'm not really wanting to pay approx £100 for the AA option 200 (roadside relay) are there any better options out there for the same level of cover.

Please add reasons for your choice and things like quality of service etc.

cheers Paul

Last edited by myblackwrx; 13 June 2007 at 08:56 AM.
Old 13 June 2007, 08:55 AM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm with rac about the same price and cover
Old 13 June 2007, 09:43 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Been with the RAC for coming up 8 years now. Great service, and excellent accident care.
Old 13 June 2007, 10:01 AM
monkeysan
Scooby Regular

i'm with Britannia Rescue/CSMA - but only because my dad pays for the whole house
Old 13 June 2007, 10:02 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

How old is your car is it just out of warranty as Subaru Assist do a good deal if your just out of warranty

I am now with AA and they are as good as gold

I even got them to change the tyre on my wifes car on the drive one evening because it was raining

Felt guilty at first but the Patrol Man said he had no problem and enjoyed the cup of tea whilst he did it
Old 13 June 2007, 10:19 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Should have said car is a 93 wrx (only had 1 call out in 4 years when i thought a wheel bearing had destroyed itself only to find out a stone was stuck in the brakes made a bloody nasty noise).
i've noticed that the AA don't send out their patrols late at night and send a local breakdown service which i think is a bit off when you watch their adverts saying they have more patrols than anyone else.
Old 13 June 2007, 11:13 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Greenflag / Direct Line are OK, just watch out for cancellation charges - just got a new car with 3 years of free cover, called to cancel and they wanted 25% of the total premium to cancel with only 3 months left to run!

Don't know about the AA, tried to join when there was the chance of getting shares. They completely co*ked the admin up, writing back to say I'd missed the sign up for the shares due to them losing my cheque, which was mysteriously cashed the day after the deadline. Wrote and cancelled immediately.
Old 13 June 2007, 11:57 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

I'm with the AA because they were the cheapest. I got the cover at a stand in Meadowhall, they always seem to offer discounts at places like that.
Old 13 June 2007, 12:00 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

I use the AA because I've had good service from them. I needed a fuel pump changing near the motorway and the bloke was good enough to do it, even though the Police apparently frowned on it.

I tried Green Flag but they generally use franchises and the one time I needed them, it was going to take over two hours. You pays your money and gets your goods. RAC are probably as good - no experience of them, however.
Old 13 June 2007, 12:05 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I am with a company. £36 a year. I break down. I call them. They send out a local repair man. I pay repair man. I send bill to a company. They reiumburse me in full with no excess.
Have used twice. Very good. Immediate unquestioned reimbursement, but if I tell everyone about them, their overheads would increase and so would the costs so shhh, it's our secret
Old 13 June 2007, 12:11 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

More than is pretty reasonable.
Old 13 June 2007, 12:18 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

if you do decide to go with the AA, sign up for quidco and get £20 back
Old 13 June 2007, 01:12 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies people keep em coming
Old 13 June 2007, 01:21 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

i have greenflag free through a bank acount and can't fault them in anyway.
although its the full cover, europe and uk, and i used them twice in a week, grrrr lol

once was recover my car from roadside to home (only about 3 miles away), then next morning my house to scoobyclinic (was late so clinic closed when i broke down)

then the following friday i broke my gearbox in the isle of man, cry cry, recovered from the mountain section of the TT circuit about 9pm friday night. Then picked up at 5 am and dropped off on ferry at 9, picked up off ferry and dropped off at scoobyclinic about 4ish.

Service i got can only be described as exemplory, all 4 drivers used were very carefull with the car (including putting padding on the wheels to pretect them from the straps), how they loaded them and dropped them off, they were polite and had a good nater with them whole traveling.

banks just change the service to the rac so can only hope they are as good
Old 13 June 2007, 01:31 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

AA through Lloyds bank account (the premium is worth it for me because I also get 'free' travel insurance). I have only had to call them out once, late at night, very happy with the service.
Old 13 June 2007, 01:33 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Lydia72
AA through Lloyds bank account (the premium is worth it for me because I also get 'free' travel insurance). I have only had to call them out once, late at night, very happy with the service.

same here, i think i pay about £13 a month and get travel insurance, breakdown cover (which prob just saved me best part of £300), various discounts and mobile phone insurance as well
Old 13 June 2007, 01:55 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
once was recover my car from roadside to home (only about 3 miles away), then next morning my house to scoobyclinic (was late so clinic closed when i broke down)
WOW recovered your house to Scoobyclinic How good's that!

I use AA through work and they have been very good. I've also used the RAC before and they too have been very good.

My only bad experiances with both have been when they have employed the services of local garages -
1) RAC sent local garage who diagnosed electrical problem (rotor arm and dizzy cap) which caused car to run badly and make a knocking noise - I knew it was more than - turned out to be big end bearing.
2) AA send out local garage because I couldn't start a car, he diagnosed fuel pump but tried to test for a spark by removing a lead from the dizzy cap and earthing it (yes removed from dizzy cap not spark plug end, so lead connected to spark plug!) I told him to go at this point.