Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

HK and Singapore

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2007, 07:40 AM
JimmyRB5PRO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking HK and Singapore

Ok just booked hols their for the summer what are the must do's in each place then ????

Cheers
Old 23 May 2007, 08:04 AM
RichardS2005
Scooby Regular

Singapore = eat - Its the national sport, that and talking about food! Hawker stalls around Holland Village are great as is eating authentic satay, pretty much everywhere. Sunday brunches are really good too - try the Hilton for classy all you can eat covering pretty much everything you could want.

Night time safari at the zoo is good as is Sentosa (small island reached by cable car). Also worth a look is Haw Par Villa (I think that's how its spelt) a Chinese theme park, filled with Chinese ghost/spirit tales.... can be a little creepy but unusual!

Other than that shopping (second or some would say first national sport), and teh harbourside is good for (expensive) drinks and clubbing.

Haven't been to Hong Kong for a long time, so I'll let someone else comment.

Have a great time (I'm very jealous)

Richard

Last edited by RichardS2005; 23 May 2007 at 08:06 AM.
Old 23 May 2007, 05:24 PM
JimmyRB5PRO
Scooby Regular

cheers Richard - you telling me that only one perosn has been to Hong Kong and or Singapore ???????

any more for any more ??????
Old 23 May 2007, 05:32 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

some pics from our april trip

Singapore, April 2007 Photo Gallery by Michael Toye at pbase.com
Old 23 May 2007, 05:49 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

I've had a couple of stopovers at Singapore. Great city but killer humidity. Plenty of stuff to see & do.
Tiffin at Raffles if you can get in. Little India, Chinatown and Joo Chiat Rd are well worth a visit for the food & culture. Fort Canning park was impressive and gave great views of the city.
Plenty of decent bars along Boat Quay & off the back streets. Also along Emerald Hill behind Orchard Road.
There are huge shopping malls purely selling electronics & photographic equipment. I didn't think they were that much cheaper than the uk but the choice is amazing.
Old 23 May 2007, 08:38 PM
JimmyRB5PRO
Scooby Regular

Talking

cheers keep em coming ...........................

anyone bn to HK then ???

Old 23 May 2007, 09:30 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JimmyRB5PRO
anyone bn to HK then ???
A "few" times, but here are some sites in Hong Kong from a previous thread: https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...-stopover.html
Old 23 May 2007, 09:52 PM
victorial
Scooby Newbie

Cool...Hong Kong! When you are going there and think depends on you are going there with kids or friends. there are different attractions..... enjoy!
Old 23 May 2007, 09:56 PM
DaveMiddleton
Scooby Regular

Lived in Singapore for 4 years in the 80s and travelled quite a lot to/through Hong Kong.
Singapore: Good zoo, great bird park with huge caged area, great eating , do a night harbour tour, Sentosa island (now not even an island as it has a bridge). If time go for a day into mainland Malaysia (like a different time zone).
Hong Kong more dirty and even busier. Would suggest Victoria Peak for great views, Aberdeen Harbour to see life lived in/on small boats, and a hudrofoil to Macau -where you can even do a short trip into China.
Old 23 May 2007, 10:02 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lived in Honkers in the late 70's early 80's but that was a looooong time ago and dont know how much it's changed since it was handed back to China.
Plenty of nightime markets and nightlife and if the US Navy are visiting - stay away from the clubs in Wanchai - it normally ends up in a Bloodbath !!!!
Old 23 May 2007, 10:39 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

We had four nights at both last summer for our honeymoon then went to a beach resort for the more relaxing part of it.

Hong Kong is like a clean, friendly and more modern version of London. Puts us to shame to be honest. I was embarrassed when we landed at Heathrow by all the litter and graffiti and could only imagine what someone coming the other way would have thought

There are a lot of mountains in Hong Kong, the views from the airport are staggering! We went on a tour which was good in parts and it took us up the mountain from which you can view the whole city

It also took us on a trip around the harbour. I have never seen such a contrast in wealth before in my whole life. It was like me parking next to a Classic!

I would recommend doing both of these but perhaps not on a tour, we had literally 20 minutes at the top of the mountain and wanted more but time didn't allow. Instead they took us on the 'factory tour' of the jewellery factory, wow. It was a badly staged shop and they make car salesmen look tame!

We also went to Disney Land

The public transport was dirt cheap but fantastically reliable. It was so clean! If it was like that over here I might *gulp* consider not taking the Scooby to work! *gulp*

I really liked Hong Kong and would love to go back. I fell in love with the local beer there and considered bringing some home only to find it at our Tesco's (Tsing Tao)

Singapore, was a let down to be honest. Everywhere you went there was a shopping mall, there was even one connected to our hotel! I found it funny looking in the shops, I took this picture for my mate (Liverpool fan)

Things were a little cheaper but not much. I was expecting bargains, there weren't any.

We went on the Night Safari (as mentioned above)

This was worth a visit BUT DON'T EAT THEIR FOOD!!!! We were both really quite ill after dining at the burger place just before the main entrance, I have since heard of a few people experiencing the same thing We nearly cancelled the pre-booked tour due to illness but decided to go ahead with it as we probably won't go back.There was four stops, I had four toilet trips

First stop 'the marina'. They led us to believe it was some fantastic place, it wasn't. There is a lion head on a mermaid's body spurting out water. That's it.

We were also taken to the Orchid Garden which was nice (and only literally two minutes walk from our hotel)

And then the tour ended at.... another 'gold factory' same situation again

I really enjoyed our time in Hong Kong (4 days was enough though in our opinion) but Singapore wasn't anything to get exited about, it was all shops and toilets

Hope this is some help, let us know how you get on.

* It took me so long to write this I got kicked off the site twice! *
Old 24 May 2007, 02:18 AM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you talking about a family holiday?
If not I can give you a single man's 'guide' to both.
Old 24 May 2007, 08:52 AM
orbix
Scooby Regular

Stopped in singapore for 3 nights a couple of months back.
Our hotel was on the edge of Clarke's quay, very nice at night as it is full bars and restaurants, there was even a Hooters.
Beer is expensive at night though we were payng $12 although cocktails were the same price.
One thing we do remember about Singapore is you pay for everything!
If you want a cold drink out of the fridge it costs you more than one on the shelf.
Tap water in a restaurant, in fact everything they put on your table you get billed for in a restaurant.
Old 24 May 2007, 11:15 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Can anyone else NOT see the pictures I added? I saw them last night but now they aren't there!
Old 24 May 2007, 11:18 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

i can see them