Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Help - Painting the Fence - Worse job in the world?

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2007, 09:39 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Painting the Fence - Worse job in the world?

Summer is upon us (nearly) and i need to paint my fence, which traditionally I hate doing.

However, there may be new found hope in the form of a fence sprayer !!!

Question 1........are these as good as they look and as good as the adverts want you to believe?

Question 2.........which one? There are three models as i see it. The Focus own label one and the cuprinol one, both pump action and the Ronseal one which is battery powered. Which one is best?

Question 3..........Has anyone used one of the above and if so what did you think?

Question 4.........Can you mix the paint? ie Focus sprayable paint in the Ronseal sprayer? (focus paint is cheaper i think)

My next door neighbour had the focus one and said it wasn't that good but i don;t know if he was using it with enough pressure etc so not sure what to believe.

Thanks in advance and i look forward to your comments.

J1
Old 09 April 2007, 10:09 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

I used a fence paint sprayer (once) and it sits as new in my shed.

The problems I found were that, the container that holds the paint required filling too often as it didn't hold enough, which was a pain in the a**e. The process of filling the container from the large open top paint bucket also tested my patience aswell. The sprayer applied the paint on too thick and uneven and my supplies began to rapidly vanish, so after a rethink I lightly covered the fence and then I used my trusty old brush to spread it more evenly and adequately which just became too time consuming.

I've not finished yet.....................

I ended up giving the neighbours windows a light coat of paint also and as the extension lead was too short It was very akward dragging the extension lead box in and out of bushes etc.

I hate the fence painting job and I am looking at some PVC ones in the future or a decent paint that lasts more than one summer/winter.

Oh yes I forgot............the nozzle kept blocking which delighted me
Perhaps I had a crappy make (cant remember) hope you have more luck than me.

Sorry I can't answer your q's.
Old 09 April 2007, 10:13 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Not specifically answering your questions, however...

They are easier than a brush, but - the spray gets everywhere, so mask off (for miles around) anything that you don't want speckled.

Electric/battery sounds like a waste of money - manual pumping isn't hard, and less bits to go wrong.

Not too chuffed with the "whatever the first brand was" paint - just seems to coat the surface. Maybe their "5 year" version will be better. Bring back creosote

mb
Old 09 April 2007, 10:17 PM
eldudereno
Scooby Regular

My brother mentioned his Cuprinol sprayer yesterday although he didn't tell me the model. He said it was very quick and easy to use, he also said that the preserver worked well. Don't skimp on the preserver, you usually just get what you pay for.
Old 09 April 2007, 10:18 PM
pitcha44
Scooby Regular

the cuprinol one has its own lecy pack now and i think the paint lasts for 5 years. or you could hire a compressor and gun and use your own paint thats what my dad did when painting the house.
Old 09 April 2007, 10:34 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Up....breath in..........down......breath out.......
Yve
Old 09 April 2007, 10:57 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

I've just done my fence this weekend - tin of fence preserver and 240v mains paint sprayer, both from Screwfix.

Sprayer was £12.99 (tin of preserver was £7.99 for 5 litres) and did the job well.... good cover and good finish. Will be using it again to paint the interior of my 7m x 8m garden room soon!

The only thing you have to be careful of is the viscosity of the paint... The stuff I used had to be watered down quite a bit before you could spray with it - not a great deal, just something to be aware of - and you get a 'viscosity tester' with the gun. I think you can get fence paint that's designed for guns now anyway...

So - Screwfix for mains powered sprayer for £12.99 - can't complain!
Old 10 April 2007, 12:06 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Have to admit - got a Cuprinol sprayer and Wife did it. The results are excellent.

My only gripe, is that the stated coverage is a little on the grand side

The key is taking your time and getting an even spray

Dan
Old 10 April 2007, 12:30 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did my new cabin, looked like David Dickinson when I had done.
Old 10 April 2007, 12:30 PM
IainCam
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
Have to admit - got a Cuprinol sprayer and Wife did it. The results are excellent.

My only gripe, is that the stated coverage is a little on the grand side

The key is taking your time and getting an even spray

Dan
Yup, used the cuprinol pump one and it works well, thought it was using more preserver than using the brush so went back to using the brush for a bit and then realised that it wasn't using much more at all.

Miles faster than using a brush but best not done if it's windy otherwise you'll get the stuff everywhere.

Oh, and they amount they say they cover on the tin is rubbish (well certainly the first coat anyway) 'cos I bought three tins of the stuff having worked out that should be enough... ended up using 8 or 9 tins instead (lots of freshly built fences)
Old 10 April 2007, 12:39 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

tough job but as mentioned you'll be a demon at blocking karate punches without even realising
Old 10 April 2007, 02:15 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

So someone caught on then ......
Old 10 April 2007, 05:48 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

I got a very POC to do this for me who had all the stuff. Okay, i think he ended up a shade of the fence / shed but he did a great job Just make sure you wear a mask over your nose & mouth!!!!!!!
Old 10 April 2007, 06:37 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

I HATE spraying fences

You were lucky Anna, I'm doubling my prices on spraying, I dislike it that much
Old 10 April 2007, 06:41 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

I did it the old fashioned way, doin it by hand. Took me 3 days or so to complete, without wasting any money on those spray thing jobbos that sound like they are useless anyway
Old 10 April 2007, 06:41 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IainCam

Miles faster than using a brush but best not done if it's windy otherwise you'll get the stuff everywhere.
Yesterday my Impreza was treated to a lengthy clean and polish, I was looking out of the window today and admiring the gleaming finish.

About an hour ago my neighbour knocked at the door "I'm so sorry but I have been painting my fence with a sprayer and I have just realised that I have got it all over your car."

Also all over my back door and side window, the shared fence is six foot high and there is only a slight breeze today

It has all come off okay but a bit of a nuisance.

We used a Cuprinol sprayer last year and found it quicker and easier than using a brush but worked out quite a bit more expensive and -as above- quite messy
Old 10 April 2007, 08:23 PM
IainCam
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lydia72
About an hour ago my neighbour knocked at the door "I'm so sorry but I have been painting my fence with a sprayer and I have just realised that I have got it all over your car."

Also all over my back door and side window, the shared fence is six foot high and there is only a slight breeze today

It has all come off okay but a bit of a nuisance.

We used a Cuprinol sprayer last year and found it quicker and easier than using a brush but worked out quite a bit more expensive and -as above- quite messy

Glad it all came out.

We live out in the middle of nowhere and I made sure our cars were out of spraying distance when I was doing ours. Spent days and days doing the fence and getting nowhere with the brush before going back to the sprayer to complete it.