Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sky+ or Sky HD

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2007, 11:11 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sky+ or Sky HD

If you were getting a brand new Sky account which would you go for - are the HD services at the moment really worth the extra £200 initial outlay?
Old 05 April 2007, 11:15 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Personally, I'd stick with Sky+ for now, not enough HD channels to justify the cost IMHO. Plus by the time they do get it sorted the next gen of HD will probably be out anyway.
Old 05 April 2007, 12:56 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Ditto OllyK
Old 05 April 2007, 12:58 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

I only wish we had TiVo Series 2 and TiVo HD here in the UK
Old 05 April 2007, 01:10 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Yeah - thats pretty much confirmed my thoughts then, I was leaning towards just going for + Ta!
Old 05 April 2007, 02:48 PM
spider
Scooby Regular

Buy both Neil - and get me one whilst you're at it!
Old 05 April 2007, 03:44 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Old 05 April 2007, 06:36 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

HD for the HDMI which gives a better picture.

Chip
Old 05 April 2007, 06:47 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Upgraded to HD from Sky+ before Christmas.

Very little HD content worth watching now the BBC drama's have finished.

If you have HD then you will have to pay £10 a month extra for HD and Sky+. (Now one payment)
If you get Sky+ and don't have two or more premium channels then you will have to pay £10 a month extra for Sky+

Saying that even SD pictures on the HD box look better than the Sky+ box. The HD box upscales and has HDMI

It's a 50/50 really, it was worth it when I had it but there is not enough content at the moment.

Cheers
Lee
Old 05 April 2007, 09:54 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

HD *should* give a better picture, even with SD channels, over HDMI. And as Lee pointed out, the cost is the same monthly - it's just the initial investment that's more.

I'd go for HD myself - the receiver seems to be better at holding a signal in inclement weather, the boxes are more reliable and the ability to pick up HD, even once in a while, is a real plus.

SB (Contractor with Sky)
Old 06 April 2007, 12:58 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sbradley
SB (Contractor with Sky)
Biased

I've got a while to think about it, put an offer in this week which got accepted but obviously won't be in for a few months - just thinking of all the bloke things now - hence ordering a 26" HD LCD for the bedroom-to-be earlier
Old 13 April 2007, 09:55 AM
rkbycrof
Scooby Regular

HD *should* give a better picture, even with SD channels, over HDMI. And as Lee pointed out, the cost is the same monthly - it's just the initial investment that's more.

I'd go for HD myself - the receiver seems to be better at holding a signal in inclement weather, the boxes are more reliable and the ability to pick up HD, even once in a while, is a real plus.

SB (Contractor with Sky)
Unless I'm mistaken, and I'll stand to be corrected otherwise, how can you say the cost is the same monthly, if you subscribe to either Sky Sports OR Sky Movies your Sky+ subscription is free. I've never paid a monthly subscription for Sky+ and I only receive Sky Sports.

If I want to upgrade to HD, regardless of what premium channels I subscribe to it will be an extra £10 a month on my subscription charges. I personally don't think the few HD channels you can receive currently are worth that extra outlay.
Old 13 April 2007, 10:03 AM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

SB (Contractor with Sky)
I agree, I was one of the first 'normal punters' to get Sky HD, 08:00 on the first day of release. Anyway, I have had it for quite a while now. Not once have I lost the signal due to bad weather, happened regularly with Sky+, but never really noticed until you mentioned it.....

All channels are MUCH better quality and the HD channels being better again.
I find myself watching programmes just because they are HD, it really is very good. Still you can only watch Megastructures so many times.....

So there is an honest opinion of the benefits, you just have to work out if the cost justifies it.
Old 13 April 2007, 10:13 AM
Nürburg_Ringa
Scooby Regular

Go for HD
Old 13 April 2007, 01:04 PM
scoobyjimbo
Scooby Regular

Ask your self the question, do you watch football or watch films alot, if you do and you subscibe to these Sky chanels then go for Sky HD (I Did - and the quality is first class). One thing I would say though is that the sky hd boxes are made by thompson and seem to have a number of "features" that seem to suggest they are not made to the standards of the pace sky + boxes.
But still would say go for Sky HD if you meet the above criteria..

J
Old 13 April 2007, 05:26 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rkbycrof
Unless I'm mistaken, and I'll stand to be corrected otherwise, how can you say the cost is the same monthly, if you subscribe to either Sky Sports OR Sky Movies your Sky+ subscription is free. I've never paid a monthly subscription for Sky+ and I only receive Sky Sports.

If I want to upgrade to HD, regardless of what premium channels I subscribe to it will be an extra £10 a month on my subscription charges. I personally don't think the few HD channels you can receive currently are worth that extra outlay.
If you do not have two or more premuim channels currently you pay an extra £10 for Sky+.
If you upgrade to HD then you will not have to pay another £10 so the monthly cost would be the same as it is for basic mix and Sky+

If you have premium channels Sky+ is free but an upgrade to SkyHD will cost another £10 a month

Strange but true.

Cheers
Lee
Old 13 April 2007, 06:23 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

I'm getting HD. Mainy because I'm easily suckered into anything...
Old 13 April 2007, 11:24 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Not sure what signal you would feed a Tivo HD with at the mo, but as a percentage hike in subscription cost the SKY HD extra £10per month is totally unjustifiable and extortionate [its the broadcasters that take the cost hit not SLY err SKY].

I've been paying the £10 since day one that the HD boxes became avail mind since there's no competition out there yet [just the way SKY likes it...]. Key reason I'm still doing it is when I switch a SKY SD signal to AV1 [component or RGB] I just think YUK compared to the same sig via HDMI.

D

Last edited by Diesel; 13 April 2007 at 11:40 PM.
Old 13 April 2007, 11:31 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

1st few HD boxes I installed were during the Euro's... matches on BBC one (Grandstand ) in 'normal' terrestrial mode were ok. but showing a customer the difference on the BBC HD channel.. now that was worth it.
Old 13 April 2007, 11:52 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyjimbo
Ask your self the question, do you watch football or watch films alot, if you do and you subscibe to these Sky chanels then go for Sky HD (I Did - and the quality is first class). One thing I would say though is that the sky hd boxes are made by thompson and seem to have a number of "features" that seem to suggest they are not made to the standards of the pace sky + boxes.
But still would say go for Sky HD if you meet the above criteria..

J
Theres no decent sport on Sky (rally, moto gp, bsb, wsb) and as for the movies, can't remember when I last watched one at home with sky+