Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Jail Sentences ......

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2015, 10:09 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jail Sentences ......

After looking on sky news today a convicted killer is due to be moved to an open prison after serving 15 years where is the justice in this stupid country where killers are freed after such a short sentence.Life should mean life not 15 years........
Old 21 September 2015, 10:27 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

But if you are referring to Kenny Noye, he has been expicitly told he will not be released

Edit, maybe I did not quite read the entire story

Although he has been refused release at the moment - he has made a step closer

Still not definite he will be, I would doubt it tbh

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 21 September 2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 21 September 2015, 10:50 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

TBH a month of severe torture could sufficiently mean 'jail for life', like a 'bag for life', even if one lives on in freedom, outside jail.

Sitting here in freedom and typing away on the keyboard feels like a bliss in compare, I know. For the ones who commit massive crimes, perhaps they're more secure inside, and may get battered to death/live a shyte life when they come out? I don't know. Just another way of looking at the 'length' as opposed to the 'quality' of the punishment.

I haven't seen Sky News today, but if this convicted killer has been moved to an open prison too soon, and going to be freed too soon as well, then I am just hoping that he has been tortured so badly by his fellow inmates in the closed prison that I hope he's living a life of a zombie. Soon, this zombie will be knocking about in the open prison and one day, it will come out as a self-torturing zombie in open world.

Thing is, some zombies can be even more psychotic and harm causing (on others) than the non-zombies. Not all zombies can be kicked about, nor do they essentially kick themselves about. So, yes, that brings it back to the point you are making i.e. life should mean life; physically.

Disclaimer: I'm not proposing that we need to transform UK prisons into Guantanamo Bay or anything, nor am I sympathising with the convicts. I'm just saying.
Old 21 September 2015, 11:00 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I remember this happening, it's not like it was a first offence either!
Old 22 September 2015, 12:39 AM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Exactly....and reading about the "previous" certainly puts a context around the subsequent offence...........but "The Guardian readers" amongst us probably won't see it that way though.........

Last edited by Fabioso; 22 September 2015 at 12:41 AM.
Old 22 September 2015, 07:54 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

after such a short sentence.Life should mean life not 15 years........
This is what annoys me with this country as a whole, and the media don't help one bit.

First they rarely if ever publish the exact charge or law in which someone is convicted of (although murder is murder in this case) and secondly and most importantly:

A LIFE SENTENCE DOES NOT MEAN LIFE IN JAIL!

A life jail term in this country pretty much doesn't exist.

There are lots of namby pamby changes that liberals introduced into our law system that had the belief that criminals could be rehabilitated back into the community. From then on life jail terms only exist for the seriously nutty and serial killers, and even then its against their human right. Which is why they are always appealing. Even excessive minimum jail terms are supposedly against "their rights"

So a sentence mean absolutely nothing..its just a recording of their conviction and how long it must be from a probationary stance. It has pretty much no relevance to the jail term.

Yet constantly the press and public bleat the same thing and appear shocked that a life sentence doesn't mean life in jail. Its been like this for decades now- a sentence does not mean jail. It about time the debate moved into referring to jail time as a priority in the reports rather than sentence time.

Now, whilst on this subject about how the press publish convictions.....when a group or gang is convicted, why do they add together their sentences or jail terms as a group. A common example: "gang sentenced for total of 50 years". Makes a big head line, yeah? But reading further on its actually 10 individuals who get sentenced 5 years each. Why add them together? What this actually means is all of them only serve a couple of years in jail, which is a far cry from the "50 year" headline. It about time this sloppy style of journalism was banned, its misrepresentative and misleading or at worst just plainly incorrect.

Last edited by ALi-B; 22 September 2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 22 September 2015, 09:13 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think KN was in jail for murder, more like man-slaughter, wasn't it a road rage incident and the lad he stabbed got out of the car and then confrontation ensued, end result stabbed in the heart it think, if my memory serves me correctly.

For it to be murder it has to be pre-meditated in the uk.

Scratch that, seems he did get convicted of murder, not too sure how that works given it was road rage.

Just googled KN and read about him on wiki, you wouldn't want to meet him on a dark night down an ally.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 22 September 2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 22 September 2015, 09:46 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I think murder applies if you use a premeditated weapon. In this case, a knife would mean it applied.

But let's look at the USA where life can mean life.
Any less violence? Bigger or smaller % of the population in prison?
Old 22 September 2015, 10:37 AM
Sad Weevil
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabioso
Exactly....and reading about the "previous" certainly puts a context around the subsequent offence...........but "The Guardian readers" amongst us probably won't see it that way though.........
What a ridiculous, clueless statement.
Old 22 September 2015, 11:28 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

what is interesting reading the reports of the story is how differently the basic facts of the case have been reported

the BBC, the Telegraph and the Guardian all reported the facts - which where that he had been denied parole i.e. explicitly NOT been freed - but also pointed out that there was a recommendation of a move to a more open prison

which may or may not result on being let out on licence (not "free")

however, a quick scan of the red tops - and the headlines seem to suggest he IS going to be freed within months - with headlines like the below

Old 22 September 2015, 11:41 AM
4u2nv2
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kn got his arsed kicked by the young lad, kn went back to his car got a knife and stabbed him, ego couldent take the *** kicking he got. these kind of people (plastic gangsters) do ok inside. and really is not a deterent, just makes them more ruthless.
Old 22 September 2015, 12:05 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well that seems premeditated enough for me
Old 22 September 2015, 12:38 PM
4u2nv2
Scooby Regular

should of never been allowed out the first time then the lad would still be with us. a eye for a eye. third time lucky, could be your son next. all for the sake of road rage, bloody stupid laws we live with.
Old 22 September 2015, 01:00 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Noye is and was a nasty piece of work

and by all accounts so was the victim - this sort of thing is inevitable when ar5holes collide

no one deserves to die over a pathetic traffic incident - or even get out of there car
Old 22 September 2015, 01:09 PM
4u2nv2
Scooby Regular

yes agreed....
the young lad did fancy himself as a bit of a semi pro kickboxer. but still never desvered to die. he gave kn a bloody good kicking. lados misss in car aswel and once you start walking that line its gona go all the way with 2 nut cases.
my thoughts stand however, should never of been alloweed out the first time.

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
Noye is and was a nasty piece of work

and by all accounts so was the victim - this sort of thing is inevitable when ar5holes collide

no one deserves to die over a pathetic traffic incident - or even get out of there car
Old 22 September 2015, 01:21 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

I wholeheartedly agree
Old 22 September 2015, 01:59 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

I wonder how many murderers are being released early.
I may research this but dread to find out the real answer ....
Old 22 September 2015, 02:06 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

It seems like a relevant thread to ask - what does anyone here know much about "life licenses"? Supposedly, anyone who gets a life sentence in this country, even if they're only told to serve 20 or however many years, is normally subject to parole-like conditions for the actual remainder of their life. These might include restrictions on where they can travel, people they can associate with, the types of jobs they can do and so on, and in theory at least they could be immediately be recalled to prison if they breach any of them. That's the theory, but I've struggled to find much information on how this is applied in practice. Anyone more clued-up on this kind of thing?
Old 22 September 2015, 02:08 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
It seems like a relevant thread to ask - what does anyone here know much about "life licenses"? Supposedly, anyone who gets a life sentence in this country, even if they're only told to serve 20 or however many years, is normally subject to parole-like conditions for the actual remainder of their life. These might include restrictions on where they can travel, people they can associate with, the types of jobs they can do and so on, and in theory at least they could be immediately be recalled to prison if they breach any of them. That's the theory, but I've struggled to find much information on how this is applied in practice. Anyone more clued-up on this kind of thing?

Good post, maybe someone on here knows the ins and out's of the system..
Old 22 September 2015, 02:43 PM
4u2nv2
Scooby Regular

there is not enough monies in the public fund to pay police officers never mind the probation service, probation set the does and donts on paroled criminals which is a sham.
Old 22 September 2015, 03:06 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

i think this was cleared up in a previous thread - a while ago (by a practising barrister)

and as has been point out - a "sentance" is not the same as "jail time"

as far as I undertsand it a Life Sentance - is just that, to get let out "on licence" (it is not an automatic right) you have admit guilt and show remorse

Although it seems there was a Lords ruling in 2002 on "whole Life Tarrifs"

which i think allows for continued process to acess the ongoing suitability of the whole life tarrif (i.e. the state does not simply "throw away the key")

but you will have certain conditions applied to your "licence" and can be recalled to prision at any time
Old 22 September 2015, 03:13 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

A old friend of mine was refused into a house party....he smashed a bottle of beer and hit the lad in the neck with it....got life.
12 years later is a free man...last 4 years was in a open prison
Old 22 September 2015, 04:04 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by donny andi
A old friend of mine was refused into a house party....he smashed a bottle of beer and hit the lad in the neck with it....got life.
12 years later is a free man...last 4 years was in a open prison
Do you know if he has been rehabilitated .....
Old 22 September 2015, 04:35 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler 75
Do you know if he has been rehabilitated .....
No , far from it
Old 22 September 2015, 04:41 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by donny andi
No , far from it

Whoops ......
Old 22 September 2015, 04:50 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler 75
Whoops ......
'Reputation' to maintain I suppose?
Old 22 September 2015, 05:00 PM
4u2nv2
Scooby Regular

they say something goes wrong in the head when a man has been encarterated for more then 6year. god knows after a 10 stretch.
Old 23 September 2015, 04:28 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All sending people to jail does (for the most part) is teach them to be better criminals and give them a decent network of contacts from all over the country.

Crime school, seen it many, many times, go in as a bit of a daft lad for something relatively small fry and come out as a callous bstid and get into much more serious stuff, usually involving drugs and guns.
Old 23 September 2015, 01:23 PM
4u2nv2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
All sending people to jail does (for the most part) is teach them to be better criminals and give them a decent network of contacts from all over the country.

Crime school, seen it many, many times, go in as a bit of a daft lad for something relatively small fry and come out as a callous bstid and get into much more serious stuff, usually involving drugs and guns.

agreed 100%.
Old 23 September 2015, 01:35 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster

That's just indicative of badly managed jails isn't it?

Quick Reply: Jail Sentences ......