Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Changing 'My documents' location in W2K

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2001, 09:56 AM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neil,

I got caught by this as well, if the folder exists, the W2K install creates the .000 one instead (sensible, I guess, as you didn't want your old folder overwritten?)

If the folder corresponds to a local user on the machine you have the option of removing the user, renaming the folder and its .000 partner to something else, re-adding the user and the profile directory will be created correctly for you to copy across.

If it's the local Administrator folder, I would be a bit nervous about deleting and re-adding that, but I guess you could do the same?

HTH

Alex

Edited to say - Doh! - overlap post with ozzy but you get the idea

[Edited by BigGT3Fan - 12/11/2001 9:58:01 AM]
Old 12 November 2001, 04:34 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Get a grip Neil, that'd be far too logical

One thing I've learned is; you can't bring any Unix common sense to a Windows environment. Anyway the MS way is always best

Glad to hear it worked, I was winging it all the way

Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 12/11/2001 4:45:35 PM]
Old 11 December 2001, 09:40 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Angry

I've just had to re-install windows 2000 [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] and my shortcuts, cookies etc etc are in a folder called xxx The new install points to a folder called xxx.000 How can I make it point back to folder xxx ?

I don't really want to be stuck with using xxx.000, it's not neat and tidy.
Old 11 December 2001, 09:55 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Sounds like a duplicate profile to me. Are you logging in as the Administrator account or your own user id?

If you had a user called JBloggs, then he would have a JBloggs profile. If w2k was re-installed or another JBloggs from a seperate domain logged in then it would already see the JBloggs folder, but since the new user has a different SID (Security ID), the system creates JBloggs.000, JBloggs.001, etc..

Best thing to do is login as Administrator and make a backup copy of the profile folders. Then delete the offending profiles, not default user, all users or Administrator.

Login as your user id and this should create JBloggs on it's own and not the .000 one. Copy any files from the backup folder into your new profile if you need to.

Stefan
Old 11 December 2001, 10:10 AM
ChrisB

If you right click the My Documents folder on the desktop, you change the Target Path. Mine points to a network drive.
Old 11 December 2001, 10:36 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Trouble comes when you are logged in as Administrator and you try to delete the Administrator folder (or any other user for that matter). The registry file NTUSER.DAT is held open (your logged in and using it), so it won't be removed and becomes very messy.

Best thing to do is create a new user first and give that full admin rights on the local PC. Login as this new user and delete the Administrator profile.

When you log back in as Administrator a new profile gets created. The OS uses the Default User profile as a Template, so don't go deleting that whatever you do.

The thing to remember is that these profiles are "user" orientated and shouldn't really hold any configuration settings that affect how the operating system or applications work. Your profile will store settings like your desktop config, your My Documents folder, your Personal folder, etc.. so always take a copy first before deleting anything.

Trouble starts when only bits of the profile are removed and not te whole thing. Certain applications do store settings in the profile of the user logged in when the app was installed, but that's not the norm and is down to poor programming. Apps should be aware that you're running NT and the fact that it uses profiles.

Stefan
Old 11 December 2001, 11:37 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

It's the administrator profile that's messed up

Can't I just go into regedit and change the location?

Neil
Old 11 December 2001, 01:32 PM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Neil,

You will have to do what ozzy suggests, I think and create a new temporary admin user.

There might be a registry hack, but I wouldn't advise it!

Alex
Old 11 December 2001, 01:50 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

You can edit the registry, but the setting for My Documents isn't just in the one key. You can load "regedit" and search for the Admin path. Once you find them, run "regedt32" and make your changes.

It's easy enough done but if you're unsure I'd stay well clear. It's far too easy to delete something by mistake. Go practice on someone else's pc first

Best to create a new user and add him to all the local groups (you don't really have to, but it mkes life easier). Login as this new bod and copy the Admin profile somewheres safe.

Then right-click My Computer, go to properties, then to the Profiles tab (don't have a w2k pc in front of me, so sorry if this isn't quite right). Highlight administrator and click delete. That'll remove the profile folder for you.

Log back in as Admin and it'll create a brand new profile. You'll loose things like desktop icons, screensaver settings, etc. but it's easier to start a fresh and change them to the way you prefer them.

Just look for them in your backed-up profile if you want to reinstate anything like your desktop icons, favourites, etc..

Remember as long as you copy the admin profile (absolutely everything that is) you'll be fine.

Stefan
Old 11 December 2001, 03:58 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

Used Stefan's Method and it worked!!

Cheers guys, although why MS did'nt include a change profile(like changing a UNIX Home directory) facility is beyond me
Old 11 December 2001, 08:07 PM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Wink

TWEAKUI anyone???