Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Compnay reclaiming expenses query ..

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2007, 04:35 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much are you talking about for an average ee ?

D
Old 02 March 2007, 05:58 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Sounds as though those in the expense department are trying to shift the blame from themselves to the staff who have claimed expenses, very poor form indeed.

If you have solid proof that you were not making fraudlent claims, that the system did not allow you to change the rate, and that the information given to you about expenses was not crystal clear, then I'd go and talk to a solicitor and see what they suggest.

If my boss asked me to pay back expenses as he'd made a **** up then I'd explain, politely, that he's not getting anything back, it was his mistake, not mine. Granted from now on I'd make sure I triple check things, but we'd have an amnesty on prior claims.
Old 02 March 2007, 06:50 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

I had a similar situation with an expense claim.

I went on a business trip and duly put in my expense claim and had it paid.

A few weeks later they complained I hadn't accounted for everything and owed them £30. I told them they were wrong and that I had done everything properly. An hour later they returned and said that they had accidentally paid me £30 too much in return.

They wanted a cheque for £30 there and then. I told them to go away and I'll consider putting it in the post. I never did of course. A year later, I put in an expense claim for £50 and was paid £20. They got their money in the end.

If you don't resolve your situation then I expect they'll do the same. Every expense claim you put in for the next year will be used to pay off the excess and you won't get any money.
Old 02 March 2007, 11:05 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I would say with 99.99% certainty that the company is completely within their rights to claim their money back.

As an employee you have a duty of care to ensure you are claiming the right expenses.

In another example if you were suddenly being paid £100 extra in your payslip due to a computer error then it would be your responsibility to let payroll know and pay the money back.

I have come across this scenario at work several times and the money was always due back. It is up to the company how they want to deal with it.
Old 02 March 2007, 11:13 PM
34srm
Scooby Regular

or have you been claiming all your mileage as company miles instead ov splitting business miles and private miles???????????????????????????
Old 03 March 2007, 08:42 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

I had a situation a while ago in a former job where the payroll dept gave me double the rate for my overtime without realising. I had to pay it all back (i did wonder why i had so much OT that month.....)

Dave
Old 03 March 2007, 09:49 AM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

You will have to pay it back but a bit unfair to demand a large sum of money in one go - they should allow regular installments to be paid direct from salary.

My boss keeps paying my expenses twice by mistake - the last lot were 800 quid. I did not notice it, but he did and I just use it as a pre-payment for future expenses - would not dare suggest that as he made a mistake it was now mine to keep! I value my job too much.
Old 03 March 2007, 12:05 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If the firm had set their rates incorrectly in their expense accounting then you can hardly be held to blame. It would also be most unfair to expect people to pay large sums back which might cause them financial problems. I think the accounts department should carry the can for the whole thing and you should not be asked to pay it back.

Why should it be your responsibility to check whether the accounting section is paying the correct rate. That is their job entirely.

Les
Old 03 March 2007, 12:17 PM
scoobian
Scooby Regular

if you're aware that there was an error, then you could be guilty of fraud, I guess
in my view the company are quite within their rights to demand the money back, however I woud expect them to give staged payment options for larger amounts

Last edited by scoobian; 04 March 2007 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03 March 2007, 12:33 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Private car usage means the tax office will allow a claim of up to 40p per mile for the first 10,000 and then 20p per mile thereafter. You company can offer whatever rate they want though.

But keep in mind if you are allowed by your company to claim more that these tax office rates (or in your case you have possible inadvertantly claimed more than these rates) then it'll be a taxable benefit and you'll have the tax office after your money as well as your own company wanting a refund.
Old 03 March 2007, 10:53 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
If the firm had set their rates incorrectly in their expense accounting then you can hardly be held to blame. It would also be most unfair to expect people to pay large sums back which might cause them financial problems. I think the accounts department should carry the can for the whole thing and you should not be asked to pay it back.

Why should it be your responsibility to check whether the accounting section is paying the correct rate. That is their job entirely.

Les
In law, ignorance is not a valid defence.

I agree that the company may want to deal with it more sensitively - however mistakes are made and it both parties have a duty of care to put it to right.

If it was your mistake I am sure that it is in your nature to accept responsibility, however I am sure you would reach a (financial) point where you may want to try and recover the money.

It is reasonable to suggest to the company that the money is paid back in installments.
Old 04 March 2007, 03:10 PM
amahrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch
In law, ignorance is not a valid defence.
You might want to change that the correct quote which is "ignorance of the law is not a valid defence"

Ignorance is a perfectly valid defence in other cases (esp in this one where either the proceedure is not clear or the advice/direction given in good faith is incorrect).