Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

East Enders tonight - thanks for the warning BBC!

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2001, 08:36 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Edited as cross posted with Alex

[Edited by Dave T-S - 12/4/2001 8:37:53 PM]
Old 12 April 2001, 09:16 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Been told little moe will stab him.

chel xxx

[Edited by Shark - 12/4/2001 10:33:38 PM]
Old 12 May 2001, 02:22 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Arrow

FunkiiM - no offence taken, sorry for my agressive post mate. Some very valid points made by you.

Bajie -

I think the ultimate point is, it was before the watershed, so you don't expect this sort of thing. Yes, other soaps have done similar on other channels, but it does make it right, and at the time wasn't such an issue for me, as I wasn't aware that somebody I know was effected by such things.

Sorry peeps, I don't mean to have a go at anyone on the board, its the BBC I'm disgusted with. No doubt they put something at the end of the program, I dunno, as I didn't see the end, but at that point it would have been too late.

I still disagree, they showed enough for it be apparent what happened/was happening.

And just to re-iterate a point made above, NOBODY deserves this sort thing to happen to them, even if they are blinded by love.

I'm sorry to have gone off on one.

Alex

[Edited by DrEvil - 12/5/2001 2:24:13 PM]
Old 04 December 2001, 08:24 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Angry

At least Channel 4 warn you of content before airing..
However the BBC are &!&^%^*&^*%&$£"&*%$£"! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 04 December 2001, 08:32 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Question

????

What was wrong with it Alex?

DW
Old 04 December 2001, 08:36 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Angry

Rape at the end of the episode, thought it was around Xmas week.
There was no warning as to the content what so ever, at least Channel 4 warn you if their programs contain anything like this.
Email the BBC and told them what I think of them [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Not f***ing amused. To explain some, one of friends is currently being councilled, as she was a victim of such a crime, if she saw it (dunno yet) it could have set her back weeks. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 04 December 2001, 09:01 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
who was raped on eastendes? missed it
Old 04 December 2001, 09:26 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Eastenders -- full of Christmas cheer
Old 04 December 2001, 10:03 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Glad other's thought the episode and story content was out of order.

I can only hope that the BBC get a barrage of complaints and realise that they were way out of order. (When one you love suffers that fate then that sort of programme upsets you).

DP.
Old 04 December 2001, 10:30 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Angry

I was pretty shocked when I saw it. The missus was saying they cut that scene from what they were originally planning. Bloody hell.

Apparently they were also planning a late night episode - now shelved. If you ask me, doing that glorifies that most horrendous of crimes.
Old 05 December 2001, 07:07 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry!!! Saw what????
U DIDNT SEE ANYTHING, Middle britain overeacting again, I wouldnt mind but having read about it, it was supposed to be the most traumatic thing ever seen on british TV!!!, have a laugh how about the rape in coronation street (dont watch it but understand it was quite harrowing, i think her name is Toyah and it was all very upsetting) nothing compared to last nights enders (correct me if wrong but missus assures me)

Understandably there are those like Dr Evil who have friends that have been violated and it must be very difficult, there are violations in all walks of life, muggings, burglary, domestic violence, my sis in law has been held up at gunpoint twice!! these scenes are played out on our t.v's everyday.
But the beeb tamed this one right down (as they should have), there were no specific references to rape " a bit of rough and tumble" he could have just beaten her up as he does frequently, i never see anyone complaining about that, there are a lot more battered women in this country than rape victims, women that have been abused for years and continue to be abused , my mother was one for many years with her second husband and a friend of mine is another, they are left mentally scarred and sometimes physically scarred as well, I dont see anyone jumping to their defence. This is a free country you are free to turn over if any suggestion of sexual content, violence is forthcoming, just as you would leave a cinema if you didnt like the content, it doesnt take a much to see whats coming when have we ever been subjected to a scene which come out of the blue, it just doesnt happen ther is always a build up and if you are likely to be offended/upset, turn over its your CHOICE.

Old 05 December 2001, 08:37 AM
SteveYeowart
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Turn over its your choice!

Yeah FUNKII thats exactly what people are saying if they had been warned they would have turned over!!!
Old 05 December 2001, 08:46 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Steve agreed their should have been a warning but as i stated

"it doesnt take a much to see whats coming when have we ever been subjected to a scene which came out of the blue"

Have you ever watched a soap and said "I wasnt expecting that"??
Congratulations on spelling Funkii correctly you are the first!!
Old 05 December 2001, 10:57 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Angry

Just to clarify.. the damage is done at the point the person realises what is coming next on the program, so its too f***ing late to turn over. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Cinema's have warnings infront of the films as to the potential content. Channel 4 usually gives some sort of warning before soaps like the Sopranos etc...

FunkiiMonkii - I am sorry to hear your family have suffered, but this should really make you more aware of the fact it would be beneficial for a warning before screenings like this!

I now know my friend did see it, and did turn over, but unfortunately too little too late, and this has potentially set her back.

I don't think it is "middle britian" over reacting, I hope nobody experiences rape or has a loved one that does, as you will soon realise what effect this sort of thoughtless programming has on people. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I am all for raising awareness of such things, and the signs to look for, but this blatantly wasnt done to raise awareness.

Alex

[Edited by DrEvil - 12/5/2001 11:28:14 AM]
Old 05 December 2001, 12:59 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Dr Evil as stressed earlier all points taken, sorry if offence taken, I wouldnt want to p1ss anyone off its only a forum. did say in my 2nd post that beeb should have posted a disclaimer

As said previously its a soap and we saw nothing, we were made to believe, you refer to the sopranos, a quality award winning series which everyone raves about, but F**k Me I didnt hear anyone complaining about the rape scene on that(appologies if not transmitted on C4 yet) E4 staed "This programme contains violence and strong language from the start", So the full rape and beating scene (nothing left to the imagination incase u didnt see it) was classed as strong language and violence, in the 1st two series of the sopranos there had been plenty of murders but no rape, this was shocking and we had no idea it was coming unlike our favourite psychotic scotsman, we know he beats the crap out of her thats his character, whatever next a love scene in a soap.

Thats why 16 odd million people watch it, good or bad it brings something to their lives, and in this day and age you can get away with what ever u want on tv and radio, swearing / sex of any sort / violence, are no longer taboo, you can thank the internet in some part for this where are the restrictions on here, I can see what i want whenever I want, and Mary Whitehouse can no longer bitch about it.

That all taken into account the Beeb Should have said "some of tonights scenes may cause offence" I bet you a penny to a pound it would have encouraged more people to watch it. If theyd used the word rape scene it would have discouraged said victims but again encouraged others to watch just for shock value.

Which ever way you look at it there will be always be winners and losers they will never satisfy everyones requirements we now live in a world where nothing is taboo, things have changed greatly over the past 15 years in the media, dont expect it to improve its down hill from now, Jerry Springer, need I say anymore.
Old 05 December 2001, 01:13 PM
ScoobyLoobyLou
Scooby Regular

F M

Here, here!
Old 05 December 2001, 01:29 PM
KimA
Scooby Regular

Angry

Haven't seen the episode yet (will be watching it tonight). It was briefly discussed on the radio this morning - apparently some of Little Moe's (sorry, don't know the actresses name) ribs were broken during the filming of this

A warning should have been put at the beginning - would imagine they'll get lots of complaints about this! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 05 December 2001, 02:05 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately my son was awake while this episode was on.
He wasn't too impressed [6 years old]. I would have liked a disclaimer. I thought these episodes were going to be shown over Christmas. Its also quite sad that a topic used many years ago, mixed relationship, violent partner, ended with female stabbing partner being regurgitated.

What saddens me most is, if you listen to what people [viewers] are saying about the relationship some of them are saying Little Mo deserves it for staying. Unfortunately in the real world its not always that easy.