Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Boy's detention after apple snack

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2007, 07:37 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boy's detention after apple snack

"For health and safety reasons students are only allowed to eat in designated areas (the dining hall or the gym). All students are aware of this rule and the consequences of not adhering to it."

BBC NEWS | Education | Boy's detention after apple snack

Seriously, what is going on with the country? So much for giving kids as much fresh air as possible. Gone are the days of eating your sarnies on the playground while playing footy.

Headmaster, little Freddy slipped on a sarnie in the playground and fell on his backside! WE MUST BAN EATING OUTSIDE! THINK OF THE KIDS!!! THE KIIIIIDS DAMN IT!!!!!

J
Old 18 January 2007, 07:51 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

yep we all complain that it's a nanny state, we can't do this and that and how health and safety are the new far right but as soon as we get p**sed and twist our ankle due to falling over a curb we are suing the local council for negligence

you can't have it both ways
Old 19 January 2007, 07:46 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

What made me chuckle was if you read the article, the school is one of the top performers, and consistently get results.

you all moan like bu*gery that standards and discipline are going out the window, and yet when someone does something about it your all carping

good on the bloke i say, I can remember getting a detention, for being in the wrong playground one break time, another for using the wrong set of stairs!!

Sounds like we need more of blokes like him to stop the rot thats setting in!

mart
Old 19 January 2007, 08:15 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I hate the way this has been reported. The headline should have read "Walking zit breaks school rules, gets detention and didnt arrive". However, this would not have made the headline.
Regardless of the type of snack or his potential GCSE grades, the zit broke the rules and was punished in accordance with school policy. He refused to arrive for detention and so was punished further...
The snotty nosed turd needs to learn from an early age that rules are rules and if you break them, no matter how petty, and get caught, you must be man enough to take the rap...
Old 19 January 2007, 09:03 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Think this is the zero tolerance headmaster.

Good on him.We need more like him.Kids need to know who is boss.Bring back the cane.

(Interestingly they said the child is on to get something like 10 A grade GCSE's.Thought that is what every child got.No good trying to mark him out as a bright non rebellious student)
Old 19 January 2007, 09:09 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Maybe they should appoint this headmaster as head of the CPS then maybe some real punishment for crims could be dished out.

Half an hour detenetion and sent to a supervised learning unit for a day!!

Now that punishment really fits the crime.
Old 19 January 2007, 09:15 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good on the Headmaster, rules is rules

We used to get detentions just for the hell of it from some teachers. The worst ones were 2 hours on a saturday morning having to help the toxic dwarf of a caretaker (mr. cooper) pick up litter around the school grounds - the infamous "litterpick".
Old 19 January 2007, 09:24 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

You are told the rules and the consequences of breaking them. Sounds pretty cut and dry to me.
Old 19 January 2007, 09:54 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We used to be issued with detention cards, yellow for a 1 hour Wednesday and green for a 2 hour Saturday. And we had to get them signed by our parents - cue another bollocking

2 hours on a Saturday morning picking up litter for the toxic dwarf caretaker!
Old 19 January 2007, 03:09 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
you all moan like bu*gery that standards and discipline are going out the window, and yet when someone does something about it your all carping
Its not the point about the kid rebelling, its about the stupid rules of the school. Its about Health and Safety being used to keep kids out of the playground for fear of the claim culture that has set in.

Everyone here has seemed to miss the point of this thread altogether, I guess it's true that people are slowly being brain washed by the government into conforming to their nanny state.

J
Old 19 January 2007, 04:32 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

everybody??? see post #2 (mine)
Old 19 January 2007, 04:33 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

top of the class...
Old 19 January 2007, 04:49 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

The head master is an @rse ............ Official.

Schools, just like everywhere else is taking the whole "Health and Safety" bollox too far. Same as PC and Human rights.

The give a lad detention for eating an apple, then they'll complain that kids don't eat enough fruit.

I love this. If I was the lad, I'd eat an apple a day in the same place, just to make a point.

Years ago, when I was at school I nearly got expelled for wearing a jumper the head of year didn't like. The Prefect dress code was Black jumpers, yet mine was Black wool with grey specs (it looked soo cool, honest). Every morning, he'd make me stand up in assembly and try to make me take my jumper off. Every morning I'd have to explain that it was rather nippy, and I'd be cold if I took it off, so I'm not going to. This went on for weeks and weeks untill he got my parents up to the school. Explaining his gripe against my jumper not conforming because of the few grey specs to my parents was laughable. Needless to say I didn't get expelled, and I carried on wearing the jumper with glee !

I also once got shouted at (off the same teacher) at lunch time because my mate threw a chip at me, so I threw it back at him. Teacher saw me do it, and made me throw my food away (I had only just sat down) I was also told to stand outside his office and wait for him.
Once I'd been home for egg and chips (yum) I wandered back to school only to be shouted at. Why didn't you stand outside my office he asked? I was hungry, and as you made me throw my dinner away, I had no alternative to go home for some food (a good 3 mile walk away) otherwise I'd be starving all day. Got away with that one as well.

Last edited by stilover; 19 January 2007 at 04:52 PM.
Old 19 January 2007, 05:15 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

got made to stand in a certain spot in the playground, once as punishment for something, the rest of the school went into lessons and i was left there..

one and a half yours later (it was getting dark), and cold and the classes were packing away to go home, ( i was only 8) at the time, the teacher finally realised i,d been left there!!!, and came out to get me..... big hoo haa....and one seriously embarrassed teacher..... mind you i learn't my lessonn and didnt do it again

Agreed the H&S bit was bollox, but give the bloke his due, he had standards and enforced them!!

Mart
Old 19 January 2007, 05:37 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Originally Posted by mart360
Agreed the H&S bit was bollox, but give the bloke his due, he had standards and enforced them!!
Mart
I agree the H&S angle was a bit silly. The head should have just said "rules are rules and zitty broke 'em"...

I wasnt allowed to eat apples in class, not because of H&S just because... Same should apply in designated areas of the playground... It's not for zitty to challenge and if he does then the walking puss monster deserves detention or preferably, the cane... (If only)...

Soft ar$e namby pamby country we now live in... All teachers should be issues with tayzers in my opinion

Vote for me
Old 19 January 2007, 06:21 PM
Nick100
Scooby Regular

The trouble is very few parents seem to discipline their children now, so the kids rebel when they have to conform - life has rules unfortunately - get used to it !
When I was at school the last thing you wanted was your parents knowing you had been in trouble coz you got another roasting. Nowadays, the kids tell their parents they have been in trouble and the parents complain to the school about why little Johny was told off ! WTF
Also H&S must apply at school - it's not just the nanny state it's all the litigatious people here - an 8 year old recently fell over playing badminton and banged his tooth on the floor and cracked it - the parents threatened to sue the school - WTF again
Old 19 January 2007, 06:37 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Blame New Labour
Blame New Labour
Blame New Labour.. etc.

Seems to cover most of the problems aired on SN.
Old 19 January 2007, 06:53 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

its a school - if they had no "food" rules there would be carp all over the place. A "dont eat your food here" rule is perfect;y sensible - ******** broke the rule and gets punished (And who knows what the back issue is - maybe this was his umpteenth rule break episode that week, maybe his a complete ***** and the head hates him....really, who cares?)
Old 19 January 2007, 08:35 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nick100
life has rules unfortunately - get used to it !
Tell that to the suffragettes or the African Americans...

J
Old 19 January 2007, 09:54 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!

black slavery........kid wants an apple on the tennis court.

is it me or is there a big difference here?
Old 21 January 2007, 12:09 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think this headmaster is absolutely right in his attitude to discipline. It may sound too strict to liberal PC Plonkers, but that is the real way to teach children that in an ordered society there have to be rules which must be followed. That was the case at my school and we learned that it was better to follow the rules for our own convenience and eventually that there is value in that as well.

It is revealing that his school is such a high performer too and that is also a good indication of what can be achieved when children are controlled effectively and taught to behave themselves instead of flaunting authority.

Les