Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Video entryphones - anyone know anything?

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2006, 11:30 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Video entryphones - anyone know anything?

We have a buzzer-operated gate with entryphone, I'd like to replace it with a video entryphone. Never really seen one before, or know owt about them.

Anyone done any market research recently - is there anything/any features I should look for or avoid?

Thanks.
Old 30 October 2006, 11:35 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on how many wires you have at each end to what you can fit but there should always be a way round it?

If you can find out and let me know what make & model they are

Pm me details and phone number and I will let you know

Hux
Old 31 October 2006, 06:21 AM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Why not just put up a CCTV camera that can see the gate - do you really want 2 way video ?
Old 31 October 2006, 10:05 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Huxley - thanks. You're ahead of me! It was a general question, as my dad might come to visit this weekend and wants a project. We'll go to the local B&Q equivalent, buy one and fit it - that's the idea. I'm assuming I might need to pull out the ?3-core and replace it with ?4-core, but hoping life wasn't much more complicated than that. Was wondering if someone would say to get the one with the new digital thingamebob as the picture was better, etc etc.

Alistair, it won't be 2-way video, it will be one where there is a camera mounted beside the doorbell, leading to a tiddly screen inside the house. Though now you mention it....
Old 31 October 2006, 12:17 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Brendan you can get 2 wire video entry !

I have just got hold of my supplier and you can have 2 wire colour and B & W

He is getting back to me as to what make and model they are with a price

Hux
Old 31 October 2006, 12:38 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

not sure if this helps you at all, but in new residential blocks we have an AV entry system where the audio works via the phone line (principle is similar for direct audio without phone line and you already have that anyway), plus the Video link works 24hr live feed to the TV distribution in the blocks. each of the units have a 24hr live feed from the camera to the distribution point in the lounge, thereby feeding to all of the rooms where there is a tv point. ie, 24 hr live feed to every connected tv. pretty much as suggested by alistair really, but without the need for a screen at your front door

obviously you'd have to go to your front door to buzz the gates open if you kept the audio end of the system there

like i said, not sure if that helps you or not!
Old 31 October 2006, 10:05 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

What I have is cameras mounted on the house pointing where I need them. I'd be inclined to have a seperate camera from the entry system - you can get much better cameras and easier to replace bits if they fail.

I've actually got 12 cameras wired to a PC & recording, some with audio, some without.
Old 31 October 2006, 11:10 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Shot off to the DIY store tonight and had a quick look.

The two main brands are Extel and Avidsen. Prices vaguely 1-200 pounds. One said four-core, another boasted (as above) simply 2-core.

I'd also like one which has a cordless extension chime, so I can mount it by my back door or even on the patio, and know when the doorbell rings. Of course it won't have any video link to the entryphone. When I asked a few months ago, one guy said this was possible, I think with Extel. Chap tonight (different shop) said he didn't think it was possible with those he sold.

Had a think, and don't really think an embassy CCTV security system is what I need I already paid extra for a house in a nice area and I also wouldn't like a screen on all the time - our TV is only on for an hour or so each day, so no good coming through that.

Think I'll have a look at the google ads for it, keep webby happy
Old 10 November 2006, 10:33 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

UPDATE

Just picked up an Extel Videoglass 251, flat colour LCD screen, 2-wire, for what will eventually be £160. And the cordless chime extension on top