Knockhill - rally driving day

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2006, 09:11 PM
satilaboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Knockhill - rally driving day

Hi,

I was up at Knockhill to do the Rally Experience Driving day today (it was a voucher type xmas gift from the gf and that was me just getting round to using it due to work commitments).

It was a top morning.

I was very pleased and quite surprised with how well i did. Though i think i had the instructers **** twitching a couple of times when i went just a little bit too sideways! lol. But by the last run it was coming together nicely.

He got his own back on the last run though when he showed exactly how far you can really push the car!

All in all i had a great time and i recommend it.

I wish i wasn't working on sunday as the Hot Hatch track day is on.

Last edited by satilaboy; 14 October 2006 at 11:55 AM.
Old 13 October 2006, 09:50 PM
filfy
Scooby Regular

Me and my gf want to do this
Old 14 October 2006, 01:03 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

So what do you do excatly on the rally driving day - i take it you go round the tarmac track ?
Old 14 October 2006, 11:55 AM
satilaboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
So what do you do excatly on the rally driving day - i take it you go round the tarmac track ?
there is a special (abeit small) section of rally track down behind the main track. it's mostly tarmac but with loose gravel and stones scattered around and tyre walls and hay bails (full, half, quarter tyres) and lots of sharp bends.

the intructors encourage you to go as fast and get as sideways as you can. it's good fun.

You get 8 familiarisation runs (4 up and 4 down the hill), followed by an assessed run, focusing on technique: throttle control, steering, braking, overall control etc.

then you swap places with the instructor and he/she terrifies you for the final run back down the hill!
Old 14 October 2006, 06:52 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Ive just returned from a 1/2 day rally school near Silverstone (Bill Gwynne rally school), what a blast it was in their Impreza group n car. It had a twisty circiut with two hairpins in it. First run, too much throttle and too much steering movement. Second run, coming together a little better, less steering input and more control on the throttle, slides beginning to flow. Third run I was able to do left flowing into right turn powerslide and throw the car into the hairpins bends with hand brake turns and keep the momentum going.

It certainly gives you a great feeling when it comes together and the car begins to flow. I know I need much more training/practice to fully master car control, but it certainly gave me a first taster and will be arranging further lessons in rally and skid pan lessons.

Andy
Old 14 October 2006, 11:33 PM
shug
Scooby Regular

The cars used at Knockhill are old rwd Sierras - a bit of a change if you are used to driving an awd scoob.
Yes and the best bit is being driven down the course at the end by the instructor - brilliant car control - had me laughing my head off the whole way down the course - with the instructor saying " I can't go sideways at the next bit - the bales are too close together for the car to do that".
Great fun and highly recommended.
Old 15 October 2006, 01:34 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

sounds a laugh !! Is it just that or useful on the road ?
Old 15 October 2006, 02:10 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Could use some of the techniques, like less steering, less braking and more throttle control. The problem is, there are generally too many solid objects which are too close to be able to apply these methods on the road with any degree of confidence. Other drivers tend to throw a wobbler if you enter and exit a corner sideways.

Andy
Old 16 October 2006, 11:26 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

RWD shows up the real skills when it comes to proper driving.

Les