ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Knockhill - rally driving day (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/550994-knockhill-rally-driving-day.html)

satilaboy 13 October 2006 09:11 PM

Knockhill - rally driving day

Hi,

I was up at Knockhill to do the Rally Experience Driving day today (it was a voucher type xmas gift from the gf and that was me just getting round to using it due to work commitments).

It was a top morning.

I was very pleased and quite surprised with how well i did. Though i think i had the instructers **** twitching a couple of times when i went just a little bit too sideways! lol. But by the last run it was coming together nicely.

He got his own back on the last run though when he showed exactly how far you can really push the car!

All in all i had a great time and i recommend it.

I wish i wasn't working on sunday as the Hot Hatch track day is on.

filfy 13 October 2006 09:50 PM

Me and my gf want to do this :)

andythejock01wrx 14 October 2006 01:03 AM

So what do you do excatly on the rally driving day - i take it you go round the tarmac track ?

satilaboy 14 October 2006 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
So what do you do excatly on the rally driving day - i take it you go round the tarmac track ?

there is a special (abeit small) section of rally track down behind the main track. it's mostly tarmac but with loose gravel and stones scattered around and tyre walls and hay bails (full, half, quarter tyres) and lots of sharp bends.

the intructors encourage you to go as fast and get as sideways as you can. it's good fun.

You get 8 familiarisation runs (4 up and 4 down the hill), followed by an assessed run, focusing on technique: throttle control, steering, braking, overall control etc.

then you swap places with the instructor and he/she terrifies you for the final run back down the hill!

andy97 14 October 2006 06:52 PM

Ive just returned from a 1/2 day rally school near Silverstone (Bill Gwynne rally school), what a blast it was in their Impreza group n car. It had a twisty circiut with two hairpins in it. First run, too much throttle and too much steering movement. Second run, coming together a little better, less steering input and more control on the throttle, slides beginning to flow. Third run I was able to do left flowing into right turn powerslide and throw the car into the hairpins bends with hand brake turns and keep the momentum going.

It certainly gives you a great feeling when it comes together and the car begins to flow. I know I need much more training/practice to fully master car control, but it certainly gave me a first taster and will be arranging further lessons in rally and skid pan lessons.

Andy

shug 14 October 2006 11:33 PM

The cars used at Knockhill are old rwd Sierras - a bit of a change if you are used to driving an awd scoob.
Yes and the best bit is being driven down the course at the end by the instructor - brilliant car control - had me laughing my head off the whole way down the course - with the instructor saying " I can't go sideways at the next bit - the bales are too close together for the car to do that".
Great fun and highly recommended.

andythejock01wrx 15 October 2006 01:34 AM

sounds a laugh !! Is it just that or useful on the road ?

andy97 15 October 2006 02:10 PM

Could use some of the techniques, like less steering, less braking and more throttle control. The problem is, there are generally too many solid objects which are too close to be able to apply these methods on the road with any degree of confidence. Other drivers tend to throw a wobbler if you enter and exit a corner sideways.

Andy

Leslie 16 October 2006 11:26 AM

RWD shows up the real skills when it comes to proper driving.

Les :)