Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Home CCTV

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2006, 10:40 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends what range you're after - the cameras with built in IR lights are generally pretty feeble.

I've got a Geovision system like this one. You can then plug in as many cameras as you like (I'm up to 12).

The software is really neat, you can configure the cameras individually to always record or to record on change in the picture, for which you can set the sensitivity and exclude areas.

When you play it back, it will play multiple cameras concurrently, so you get different angles or you see people moving from one camera to the next.

Cameras are all from RF Concepts. Some are IR sensitive, but I've gone for seperate IR illuminators which light up a reasonable (car & surrounding) area.

For triggering an alarm, what you want is a PIR sensor wired up to a mains powered bell or buzzer instead of a light. That said, you really don't want to go challenging them unless you're very sure of yourself....
Old 14 October 2006, 11:06 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

IR wont be able to pass through the windows and you would need it on the outside of the building.

i bought some cheapo cams from ebay, colour, with IR night vision, they are not much cop TBH.

put one inside a proper CCTV housing at the end of the carwash, when the lights are off the IR bounces back of the houseings glass front, so that's a bad idea

bought a proper panasonic cam for outside up on a big pole, and that can pick up quite a lot, even tho its not a night vision model, the floodlights from next doors car lot are enough.

the 3rd camera was a "micromark" (i think) jobbie from B&Q black and white with IR night vision and its actually pretty good in the dark, much better then the ebay ones for sure, IIRC it cost next to nothing, although its designed to hook up to a scart socket, i just chopped the plug off and wired it up to the works DVR card, took 5 mins, it also has a built in microphome to record sound, should you need it.

i have the same kind of micomark camera covering my car at home, only its motion detected, and anybody walking into the PIR area has the tv change the channel over so i can see who it is, very handy for the tv licence inspector

Last edited by StickyMicky; 14 October 2006 at 11:09 PM.
Old 14 October 2006, 11:11 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i also used a cheap dvr card, with 4 cams running on "motion detect" i get around 10 days worth with an 80gig HD

card was approx £15 from ebay

the home system is not setup to record (cant be arsed to hook a video player up or start chopping wires)
Old 14 October 2006, 11:16 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

this will do!!!

eBay.co.uk: 4 Channel Video DVR PCI Card For Security Camera CCTV (item 300035300776 end time 14-Oct-06 23:48:50 BST)

then get 2 cameras!
Old 14 October 2006, 11:19 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Now I like that, very good If the B&Q kit works within 20 metres then thats good enough for me. Do they still sell them?
when i bought mine, the boxes were pretty dusty so i assume they had been there for yonks and yonks, the micromark kit was setup to start a video player and is now pretty old skool. not sure if the PIR would work 20 metres

i can press a button on my control box in the living room and when i speak its played out at the actual camera, perfect for scaring the G/F when she is trying to get to sleep (camera is at the bedroom window)

window has to be open for her to hear it obviously
Old 14 October 2006, 11:25 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

anybody else in the block of apartments must wonder

best thing about using a PC is the dvr card software normally has a section for "motion detect" where it scans the picture for any changes, if it sees anything different, it records to disk, so i can basically see anything at moves at work, cars pulling in, staff trying to go home early people trying to rob the place

and i can sit at home and log in over the Internet and view the cameras, you could be on holiday somewhere and login to view the house, very handy
Old 14 October 2006, 11:33 PM
LongTimeLurker
Scooby Regular

dvr card as suggested. Get a 100fps model for 4 channels tho not a 25fps one. The fps is split across the channels so 100fps / 4 channel = real time 25fps recording per channel instead of 6fps which could miss stuff out.

totally excellent cameras: "now new Hi Res 19BWH 600TVL"
Bullet Camera CCTV
Very good in low light, if you have just a little light available (street light) they work really well (not quite sony ex-view but close, i use both side by side).

ir lamp: eBay.co.uk: 140 LED IR Infrared Light Bulb Lamp For Camera CCTV (item 220036472836 end time 15-Oct-06 23:00:00 BST)

Get a security light as well, it will light up the area so your cameras will work better (normal light is far better the ir lamps for a quality image), more importantly tho it's a deterrent. Far better to put someone off doing anything because they are lit up like a Christmas tree than play back grainy ir footage after your car is trashed again .
Old 14 October 2006, 11:54 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

security light coming on will be more then enough to trigger the DVR card motion detect
Old 15 October 2006, 12:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Lloyd's Chemists were selling outdoor CCTV cameras for £9.99. Should do the job I think.

Les
Old 15 October 2006, 03:19 PM
LongTimeLurker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
not so sure on that infra red panel though, a bit big and obvious to be put on the front of the house?
Same size as a standard 500w flood light from B&Q etc so not that obvious as such but bloody handy if your security light hasn't tripped.
Old 15 October 2006, 03:24 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I can get you a complete setup with camera and pc card, with motion detector and infa red camera (1 camera) for £70 delivered. I have the same on my house, its very good, you can add upto 4 cameras.

james
Old 15 October 2006, 03:52 PM
Nido
Scooby Regular

B2Z, how many times do I have to tell you????????

Old 15 October 2006, 04:08 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

There are many systems for computers and stand alone dedicated systems. You get what you pay for in the amount/qaulity/inputs you go for. If you need one or two cameras and check the recordings regulary then a cheap system will work fine (most lilkely in your case)

Dont skimp on quality for the cameras, these are what capture the images and you will need very good images especially if you are going to use it in a prosecution.

You will need to contact the information commissioner and put up visible signs that you are recording the public. You are exempt from this if you are only recording on your property and dont need it for any other purpose than your own use.
Old 16 October 2006, 09:20 AM
GOLDMAN 555
Scooby Regular

dont get capture cards off EBAY they are crap.

go for a stand alone DVR that does 30FPS PER CAMERA

Maplin do really good cameras

Super Night Owl Weatherproof Camera
Old 16 October 2006, 07:19 PM
LongTimeLurker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GOLDMAN 555
dont get capture cards off EBAY they are crap.
Don't listen to anyone who uses large bold text either.