ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Home CCTV (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/550872-home-cctv.html)

Bravo2zero_sps 13 October 2006 02:02 PM

Home CCTV

Anyone got a system setup?

I am interested in an indoors mounted camera that can do infra red and record to a PC hard drive. It would need to focus to about 15metres at a guess, ie where the Mrs car is parked on the road as it got vandalised last night :( However I haven't got a big budget for this so can't be some all singing all dancing system thats costs a fortune.

Also what would be the easiest/cheapest alerting system for an external security light being triggered? Ideally i'd want it to light an LED or ring a secondary doorbell or similar. I REALLY want to catch the fcukers when they return to do some more damage, and I know they will as the wing mirrors are continually being smashed.

I like the look of this sort of thing but are they any good, quality and range wise?

Swann IP CCTV Camera

alistair 14 October 2006 10:40 PM

Depends what range you're after - the cameras with built in IR lights are generally pretty feeble.

I've got a Geovision system like this one. You can then plug in as many cameras as you like (I'm up to 12).

The software is really neat, you can configure the cameras individually to always record or to record on change in the picture, for which you can set the sensitivity and exclude areas.

When you play it back, it will play multiple cameras concurrently, so you get different angles or you see people moving from one camera to the next.

Cameras are all from RF Concepts. Some are IR sensitive, but I've gone for seperate IR illuminators which light up a reasonable (car & surrounding) area.

For triggering an alarm, what you want is a PIR sensor wired up to a mains powered bell or buzzer instead of a light. That said, you really don't want to go challenging them unless you're very sure of yourself....

StickyMicky 14 October 2006 11:06 PM

IR wont be able to pass through the windows and you would need it on the outside of the building.

i bought some cheapo cams from ebay, colour, with IR night vision, they are not much cop TBH.

put one inside a proper CCTV housing at the end of the carwash, when the lights are off the IR bounces back of the houseings glass front, so that's a bad idea :D

bought a proper panasonic cam for outside up on a big pole, and that can pick up quite a lot, even tho its not a night vision model, the floodlights from next doors car lot are enough.

the 3rd camera was a "micromark" (i think) jobbie from B&Q black and white with IR night vision and its actually pretty good in the dark, much better then the ebay ones for sure, IIRC it cost next to nothing, although its designed to hook up to a scart socket, i just chopped the plug off and wired it up to the works DVR card, took 5 mins, it also has a built in microphome to record sound, should you need it.

i have the same kind of micomark camera covering my car at home, only its motion detected, and anybody walking into the PIR area has the tv change the channel over so i can see who it is, very handy for the tv licence inspector :lol1:

StickyMicky 14 October 2006 11:11 PM

i also used a cheap dvr card, with 4 cams running on "motion detect" i get around 10 days worth with an 80gig HD

card was approx £15 from ebay

the home system is not setup to record (cant be arsed to hook a video player up or start chopping wires)

Bravo2zero_sps 14 October 2006 11:12 PM

Thank you for that reply, I like that card for the PC :cool: However I could end up spending more than what the car I want to monitor is worth with those links, some very nice kit :o Just want a camera that can point from a bedroom window down onto the road and possibly a second camera that points at the driveway, but its the car parked in the road I really want to watch. Probably distance of 20m at the most so nothing too powerful really.

As for confronting them, I don't need to be sure of myself, just what it is I would be using on them ;) I just need to catch them at it as the police have told me to call 999 and tell them immediately I witness anything happening and they will send an emergency response round straight away. Whether that is reality is another matter but wont know that until it happens.

Bravo2zero_sps 14 October 2006 11:15 PM

i have the same kind of micomark camera covering my car at home, only its motion detected, and anybody walking into the PIR area has the tv change the channel over so i can see who it is, very handy for the tv licence inspector
Now I like that, very good :thumb: If the B&Q kit works within 20 metres then thats good enough for me. Do they still sell them?

StickyMicky 14 October 2006 11:16 PM

this will do!!!

eBay.co.uk: 4 Channel Video DVR PCI Card For Security Camera CCTV (item 300035300776 end time 14-Oct-06 23:48:50 BST)

then get 2 cameras!

StickyMicky 14 October 2006 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by **************
Now I like that, very good :thumb: If the B&Q kit works within 20 metres then thats good enough for me. Do they still sell them?

when i bought mine, the boxes were pretty dusty so i assume they had been there for yonks and yonks, the micromark kit was setup to start a video player and is now pretty old skool. not sure if the PIR would work 20 metres

i can press a button on my control box in the living room and when i speak its played out at the actual camera, perfect for scaring the G/F when she is trying to get to sleep (camera is at the bedroom window) :lol1:

window has to be open for her to hear it obviously :lol1:

Bravo2zero_sps 14 October 2006 11:20 PM

Cheers Micky. Will get one of those once i've found a camera to get. Just going to check the b&q site.

Bravo2zero_sps 14 October 2006 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
i can press a button on my control box in the living room and when i speak its played out at the actual camera, perfect for scaring the G/F when she is trying to get to sleep (camera is at the bedroom window) :lol1:

window has to be open for her to hear it obviously :lol1:

lol I bet you're popular after doing that.

StickyMicky 14 October 2006 11:25 PM

anybody else in the block of apartments must wonder :confused:

best thing about using a PC is the dvr card software normally has a section for "motion detect" where it scans the picture for any changes, if it sees anything different, it records to disk, so i can basically see anything at moves at work, cars pulling in, staff trying to go home early :lol1: people trying to rob the place :rolleyes:

and i can sit at home and log in over the Internet and view the cameras, you could be on holiday somewhere and login to view the house, very handy

Bravo2zero_sps 14 October 2006 11:31 PM

Thats exactly what I want so I don't have to record 24/7, motion detection at night time would be perfect. Nothing on the B&Q website so may have to pay their store a visit tomorrow and then order one of those chinese dvr cards :thumb:

LongTimeLurker 14 October 2006 11:33 PM

dvr card as suggested. Get a 100fps model for 4 channels tho not a 25fps one. The fps is split across the channels so 100fps / 4 channel = real time 25fps recording per channel instead of 6fps which could miss stuff out.

totally excellent cameras: "now new Hi Res 19BWH 600TVL"
Bullet Camera CCTV
Very good in low light, if you have just a little light available (street light) they work really well (not quite sony ex-view but close, i use both side by side).

ir lamp: eBay.co.uk: 140 LED IR Infrared Light Bulb Lamp For Camera CCTV (item 220036472836 end time 15-Oct-06 23:00:00 BST)

Get a security light as well, it will light up the area so your cameras will work better (normal light is far better the ir lamps for a quality image), more importantly tho it's a deterrent. Far better to put someone off doing anything because they are lit up like a Christmas tree than play back grainy ir footage after your car is trashed again :(.

Bravo2zero_sps 14 October 2006 11:42 PM

Thanks. Yep got a security light already that comes on when anyone is outside the house/walks past on the pavement. Those bullet cams look a good price, not so sure on that infra red panel though, a bit big and obvious to be put on the front of the house?

StickyMicky 14 October 2006 11:54 PM

security light coming on will be more then enough to trigger the DVR card motion detect

Leslie 15 October 2006 12:03 PM

Lloyd's Chemists were selling outdoor CCTV cameras for £9.99. Should do the job I think.

Les

LongTimeLurker 15 October 2006 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by **************
not so sure on that infra red panel though, a bit big and obvious to be put on the front of the house?

Same size as a standard 500w flood light from B&Q etc so not that obvious as such but bloody handy if your security light hasn't tripped.

Jamo 15 October 2006 03:24 PM

I can get you a complete setup with camera and pc card, with motion detector and infa red camera (1 camera) for £70 delivered. I have the same on my house, its very good, you can add upto 4 cameras.

james

Nido 15 October 2006 03:52 PM

B2Z, how many times do I have to tell you???????? :brickwall

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...es/minigun.jpg

:luxhello: :lol1:

andy97 15 October 2006 04:08 PM

There are many systems for computers and stand alone dedicated systems. You get what you pay for in the amount/qaulity/inputs you go for. If you need one or two cameras and check the recordings regulary then a cheap system will work fine (most lilkely in your case)

Dont skimp on quality for the cameras, these are what capture the images and you will need very good images especially if you are going to use it in a prosecution.

You will need to contact the information commissioner and put up visible signs that you are recording the public. You are exempt from this if you are only recording on your property and dont need it for any other purpose than your own use.

Bravo2zero_sps 15 October 2006 05:28 PM

Thanks for all the replies :) Shaggy that deal sounds very good, have you got any links/info you can pm me?

GOLDMAN 555 16 October 2006 09:20 AM

dont get capture cards off EBAY they are crap.

go for a stand alone DVR that does 30FPS PER CAMERA

Maplin do really good cameras

http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/300/l75bj.jpg

Super Night Owl Weatherproof Camera

LongTimeLurker 16 October 2006 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by GOLDMAN 555
dont get capture cards off EBAY they are crap.

Don't listen to anyone who uses large bold text either.