Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New York, New York...!

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2006, 10:54 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New York, New York...!

Anyone recomend a good site to get a flight ( Virgin Atlantic) and reasonably central hotel, at a cheap(ish) price for mid November?

Virgin want around 280 for the flight, but am not sure where is best to stay..
obviously won't be looking at the plaza or anywhere, but would also not like to stay in a fleapit hotel - somewhere in the middle would be good!!

TIA
Old 26 September 2006, 11:11 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

How much do you want to pay?
Old 26 September 2006, 11:48 PM
lpski1
Scooby Regular

have you tried Ocado ?
Old 27 September 2006, 01:04 AM
Freak
Scooby Regular

For a Virgin flight, just a thought but virginatlantic.com would be your best bet?
Not that I fly coach , but £280 is a decent price if that includes tax too.

Oh and try BA.com. Their sale officially ended an hour ago, but you may be lucky
Delta were doing econ flights for £160 inc tax until a week or so ago so you missed the boat on that one too.

As for hotels- cheap hotels do not exist in NY. Plenty of expensive bad ones, expensive average ones and very expensive good ones, but not cheap ones.
Try expedia and their special rates, and check tripadvisor.com for real reviews.

Mid to late november is a very expensive and busy period over there- in the lead up to thanksgiving (nov 23rd this yr) and it is very busy in hotels over that week, the week preceding it and the week following it.
It is a lovely time of yr to be there though- I will be there myself over that period (again)
Old 27 September 2006, 09:56 AM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

I booked recently on Expedia, £620 inc flights (B.A. and just noticed our flight is 117, should I be concerned Freak?) that is for a four star hotel near Times Square for five days.
I found the cheaper hotels were either too far out of the city or had shared bathrooms, then the price seemed to shoot up. Our local newspaper had some advertised that looked to be good value but on closer inspection you fly with Air Crap and don't leave UK until late at night plus you leave NY first thing in the morning so you are losing nearly two full days of your break.

Last edited by Lydia72; 27 September 2006 at 09:59 AM.
Old 27 September 2006, 10:01 AM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

I am staying at the Roger Smith on Lexington Avenue. Flying next Friday, and cant wait.

My missus has been before, and reckons it is the a great location, easy access to all attractions, clean, spacious and good value for money.

Here is a link http://rogersmith.com/rooms.html
Old 27 September 2006, 10:11 AM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lydia72
I booked recently on Expedia, £620 inc flights (B.A. and just noticed our flight is 117, should I be concerned Freak?) that is for a four star hotel near Times Square for five days.
I found the cheaper hotels were either too far out of the city or had shared bathrooms, then the price seemed to shoot up. Our local newspaper had some advertised that looked to be good value but on closer inspection you fly with Air Crap and don't leave UK until late at night plus you leave NY first thing in the morning so you are losing nearly two full days of your break.
Expedia, deffo
Old 27 September 2006, 10:51 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't recommend just Expedia, I've had a couple of dodgy experiences through them. (as have many people) and it's mainly due to misrepresentation of hotel rooms and the quality.

Much better to do your own research through sites like ww.tripadvisor.com and then book through the cheapest site, which often includes the hotels own site now. For example, Westin and Accor hotel groups (Sofitel, Mercure, Novotel etc) all guarantee the best rates now. Also I have found the airlines now offer the best rates on there own web sites (i think on BA.COM you sometimes even get an extra £20 off for being registered.)
Old 27 September 2006, 11:00 AM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lydia72
I booked recently on Expedia, £620 inc flights (B.A. and just noticed our flight is 117, should I be concerned Freak?)that is for a four star hotel near Times Square for five days.
No- it's a great flight and the one I take once a month
Gets in at around 11am ish and no flight in front of it, so immigration isn't too bad.
The reason you mention is why I get the 117/182- early out, overnight back, so making the most of the time available.
Old 27 September 2006, 11:15 AM
Bakerman
Scooby Regular

I just booked up early Dec LGW to JFK - £160 all in direct on Delta's website. Blimin bargain ................

Whoops, this is flight only.
Old 27 September 2006, 12:07 PM
Buster-WRX
Scooby Regular

Avoid the Hotel Pensillvania opposite maddison square gardens

It is a huge hotel and popular with travel agents but it is a **** hole
Beleive me I stayed there twice!! (dont ask)

New york is the best place in the world you will love it..I wish I could live there!!
Old 27 September 2006, 02:22 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Cheers for all your responses,guys.. I'll have to get looking