Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The RAF are.... "utterly, utterly useless"

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2006, 04:59 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The RAF are.... "utterly, utterly useless"

Well here we go then, a few weeks back is was all "The Taliban are cornered... expect their destruction in the next day or so...." and now, because they are 'dicking us' it's 'let's blame some other ******........ stand up the RAF............

Leaked emails from a British serving officer in Afghanistan have revealed more of the armed forces' concerns about the fight against the Taliban. The three emails - seen by Sky News - say some RAF pilots have been "utterly, utterly useless" in supporting troops on the ground.

They add more manpower is desperately needed along with extra helicopters for the mission to be successful.

The Ministry of Defence has described the comments about the RAF as "unfortunate"
Nuke the feckin lot and get it over with............

Last edited by DCI Gene Hunt; 22 September 2006 at 05:26 PM.
Old 22 September 2006, 05:30 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

The truth beginning to come out.....not qwuite the rosy picture the UK were hoping to see......did they not read the history books before they declared they would defeat the taliban swiftly...?
Old 22 September 2006, 06:14 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by turboman786
The truth beginning to come out.....not quite the rosy picture the UK were hoping to see......did they not read the history books before they declared they would defeat the taliban swiftly...?
I believe that they are defeating them. Point is though, Taliban won't give up before we do. It's their country, their homeland, their tribal structure, customs that are at stake.

It would be interesting to know which side is initiating contact in these little exchanges of fire that we're hearing about. IMO it's the Taliban most of the time with the odd major foray out by our guys.

British forces have been in afghanistan twice before, in the 19th century.

See http://www.britishbattles.com/

It strikes me that the times we were most effective, the troops were doing things that would be deplored or unacceptable if presented by the media these days. e.g. I don't think we can "win" and then pull out. Best we can hope for is that the regime can be made strong enough that they can contain any unrest within their borders.

J.
Old 22 September 2006, 06:17 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Didn't the Afghans defeat the whole Red Army?

Alcazar
Old 22 September 2006, 06:22 PM
555Rob555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Didn't the Afghans defeat the whole Red Army?

Alcazar
Only with huge amounts of aid and weapons from th US.

Backfired a bit now eh?
Old 22 September 2006, 06:23 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
I believe that they are defeating them. Point is though, Taliban won't give up before we do. It's their country, their homeland, their tribal structure, customs that are at stake.

It would be interesting to know which side is initiating contact in these little exchanges of fire that we're hearing about. IMO it's the Taliban most of the time with the odd major foray out by our guys.

British forces have been in afghanistan twice before, in the 19th century.

See http://www.britishbattles.com/

It strikes me that the times we were most effective, the troops were doing things that would be deplored or unacceptable if presented by the media these days. e.g. I don't think we can "win" and then pull out. Best we can hope for is that the regime can be made strong enough that they can contain any unrest within their borders.

J.
Vindy, dont believ the hype mate...we certainly ARE NOT defeating them....the Russians tried it and left crying...that was the full might of the Soviet war macine v men in shalwar kameez with kalashnikovs and RPGs....

Come on..we have every bit of militray machine available, apache gunship helicopters, F16 fighter, B52 bombers, laser guided missiles, sattelite navigation, Nimrods, heat seeking thermal imaging..you name it, we have it...

The Taliban have machine guns, and RPGs...

Anyone read the story of David and Goliath?
Old 22 September 2006, 08:29 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

On the news it read further excerpts from that email from a 3 Para commander, he was moaning about some close air support which was off the mark, nearly taking out his own men. Hard to say if it was just a one-off error, incorrect co-ords from the army itself, a weapons systems problem or general RAF ineptitude.

Ultimately wars are won on the ground. You can deplete the opponent's capabilities to fight using air power, but ultimately you need to win it on the ground, and there ain't enough men on the ground to defeat the Majahadeen in that terrain.

I voiced my opinion when it was announced they were being sent to Afghanistan that they were being given an impossible mission. The problem in defeating the Mujahadeen is that they melt into the general population only to reappear later in a different place when your guard is down. Look at the Canadian soldiers recently killed by a suicide bomber while giving out sweets to kids!

It was said during the 19th Centrury by some senior British officer that you cannot buy an Afghani, you can only rent one. Tribal loyalties run deep. You might think they are on your side and support you, only to join the opposition when they get half a chance.
Old 22 September 2006, 08:50 PM
WR1Nikki
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Well here we go then, a few weeks back is was all "The Taliban are cornered... expect their destruction in the next day or so...." and now, because they are 'dicking us' it's 'let's blame some other ******........ stand up the RAF............

Nuke the feckin lot and get it over with............

i didn't think id hear my self say this but im with DCI on this one, im fed up of hearin about the bloody taliban, bomb them all!
Old 22 September 2006, 09:41 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

the problem is that we only took over the Helmand province because the Americans were overstretched there, although we can call on some SF and CAS from them.
There is not enough troops out there for the Job and are having multiple contacts every day, i beleive that the only reason that we are not sending more body bags home is due to the superior training and discipline in our army.

The casualties of minor but casevac injuries is hid from the public so that the politicians can try and justify there policies which are highly suspect in my view.

Our forces are stretched to their limit as you must remember it takes about 6 months of training to go away for 6 months so it turn into a year tour and then when you get back home you get warned of to go to some other shi*hole to try and dig the politicians out of the mire.

P.s Use a MOAB, no radiation for that one,then again the RAF might drop it on us,lol.

Mac(soldier)
Old 22 September 2006, 11:39 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

I could say that some of the Army types I've met were utterrly, utterly useless, but that wouldn't be such an issue would it as it wasn't in a war zone. The vast majority I've met have my complete and utter respect and admiration... but again.. pretty dull.

You have to remember this guy was probably involved with a few skirmishes and possible close quarter fighting... he's going to be revved up something chronic and wanting to blame someone or something for the complete shambles this Government are playing out. They've effectively cut the strength of the armed forces in man power and hardware and are now paying the price for stretching them so thin... this guy is going to get the remnants of an airforce stripped bare of pure fighting ability.. no wonder he's hacked off..

Check out this NBC vid for some reality

Work friendly... No gore or dead bodies etc...

Last edited by Alan C; 22 September 2006 at 11:42 PM.
Old 22 September 2006, 11:50 PM
ScottyScoob
Scooby Regular

ok maybe ive been drinking and have a bit oh hoorah in me, but even tho there are civilians in the area, pull out all the allies, and do a bit of old fashioned heavy bombing ok it maybe a bit of bombs hitting MFD (miles of Fecking desert) but im sure they may get the message. Sorry i am just getting annoyed at this current climate but get the clusters and redeploy the JP233 ok its for runways but it still can get a message through. or maybe get the big B52`s outhere and get a big fleet of them and let go. I am fed up with this nanny state of we shot someone who was bad, oh no!! we hurt them !!! **** em, c`mon UK show we are a super power again not under the blair bent over infront of bush administration. Say no our troops are over there fighting a war that means nothing, make it for our country make a fecking stand show that we do have power (air power, infantry blah blah blah)

Off to get another vodka and coke
Old 23 September 2006, 05:16 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The Russian army was unable to manage any control over the Taliban and gave up and left.

What sort of chance do 4000 troops less the dead and seriously injured ones and also with insufficient or unsuitable equipment stand against them?

The government is also hiding the numbers of seriously injured personnel too!

Les
Old 23 September 2006, 06:05 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
The Russian army was unable to manage any control over the Taliban and gave up and left.

What sort of chance do 4000 troops less the dead and seriously injured ones and also with insufficient or unsuitable equipment stand against them?

The government is also hiding the numbers of seriously injured personnel too!

Les
after spending some time there myself, im not sure im wholeheartedly in favour of our 'mission' (for 'mission' read bush/blairs personal agendas) in afghanistan, but while we are there i echo all the sentiments about giving us the men and right tools for the job...however, my point is this; isnt our supposed objective very different from the soviets...?! werent they trying to reclaim afghanistan as part of their own nation and with a very different strategy...???
Old 23 September 2006, 07:34 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Isn't it all just about control of the region and the OIL therein? Are people so nieve to think that we are there to free the afghan people, or the Iraq's for that matter!

Anyone seen CYRIANA?
Old 23 September 2006, 09:05 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Can understand the ground troops might be a little frustrated at the RAF if something goes wrong. But I'm sure they said that they'd rather have US air support from A10 Tankbusters. Bring on the friendly fire from the air
Old 23 September 2006, 10:07 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Taliban won't give up before we do. It's their country
Is it f*ck - the so called 'Taliban' are muslim nut****s from all over - even from this country.
Old 24 September 2006, 10:19 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Yes Brihoppy, the Soviets had a different view on Afghanistan to us, but the fact remains they were unable to achieve it due to the strengths of the Taliban as well.

Les